Thread: Extremly Overweight rabbit

Extremly Overweight rabbit

Sharra needs a crash diet. She has always been a chunky little girl, even before I left for Alaska. However while I was gone (4 months total) my mom feed her as many pellets as she would eat. For bunnies like Julian who never gain any weight, that’s ok, however Sharra is HUGE now. I took her out of her cage today to clip her nails and I realized that she can no longer clean her back end because she is so over weight. She has trouble getting in and out of her litter box, it's truly heart breaking.

My question is has anyone had to help a bunny lose weight before? I have never had to deal with this and need some suggestions. I've been researching it all day and so far my plan is to give her unlimited timothy hay, put her on a new veggie diet and only give her 1/4 cup pellets every 2 to 3 days (that way I know she is still getting everything she needs). The poor gal needs some serious help and I'm extremely upset with myself because of her weight. I know that I was gone but she's my baby and now she's so big she can barely function properly

Here are 2 pictures of her when she came out to play in her play pen in the garage (they each take a turn playing in the pen during cool nights).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Get her to exercise more. Run around and play with her a bit, do you have a garden?

Cutting back on her pellets is a great idea, slowly up the amounts of greens in her diet and the only unlimited food she should have is hay.

Good luck, and I hope to see some new photos of a slim, happy rabbit soon.

I agree, lots of exercies, a cut back on the pellets, more healthy greens, and only timothy hay. Good luck on the weight loss plan Sharra!

~abigail

Teddy was a little overweight too before (becauseof pellets) so I cut pellet out all together and just gave unlimited timothy hay and lots of veggies. He slimmed right down to a very nice size.
    Of course exersice too.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

What a gorgeous bunny you have! Granted, a bit overweight, but hay, aren't most of us these days!!!!! Sharra has a beautiful colouring to her and those ears are just adorable.

Good luck with the weight loss Sharra....share some more pics soon.
    Mandy

Kittycats_delight (Michelle) thanks for the great signature!

Sharra spent 2 days in a HUGE pen. She loved it and seems to be skinnier, but I don't know if thats my wishful thinking or not, lol. I bought the bunnies new cages this past week as a "Welcome to your new home present". (we moved into a new apartment).

Hopefully she will continue to loose.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Have you thought about rabbit agility?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LE9OXATfF0o

I agree with cutting out the pellets, and just doing greens - Miss Hoppy has never eaten pellets, anyway. No carrots or seed treats, as those are "fattening" to bunnies also, but nice yummy parsley ...

And will she walk on a leash/harness? More exercise will help!