Thread: NEED turtle INFO!!

NEED turtle INFO!!

Okay, so I MIGHT be getting a turtle. It's a 50% chance. I 100% have my dad convinced, but my mom is a little harder. I asked them for a hedgehog, they said maybe but I know they aren't interested. I asked them for a Green tree frog, but I hate bugs and that's what they eat, NO WAY will I ever own one sadly. But turtles are very docile creatures. I am interested in the species: Red-eared Slider. I want that or anything smaller. The current law here is you can't own one over 4 inches. PERFECTLY fine with me. I started this thread to ask some questions. Like what size tank, what type would be good for me, etc?

You guys don't know how hyped I am lol!

Okay, so I MIGHT be getting a turtle. It's a 50% chance. I 100% have my dad convinced, but my mom is a little harder. I asked them for a hedgehog, they said maybe but I know they aren't interested. I asked them for a Green tree frog, but I hate bugs and that's what they eat, NO WAY will I ever own one sadly. But turtles are very docile creatures. I am interested in the species: Red-eared Slider. I want that or anything smaller. The current law here is you can't own one over 4 inches. PERFECTLY fine with me. I started this thread to ask some questions. Like what size tank, what type would be good for me, etc?

You guys don't know how hyped I am lol!
    Red ear sliders are fun turtles, but Make sure you get them young! As they have a tendancy to be mean if you dont! They are pretty easy t take care of, but are very messy,and require alot of cleaning. I had two RES in a 75 gallon tank, and that was plenty of room. Anything smaller to me seemed cruel, as they loved to swim around. You will need a heat lamp, and a dry place so they can sun-bath. You can feed them turtle food, feeder fish, and fresh veggies.

Heres a few pics of the ones I had

As far as other turtles go, I have no Idea, I Have only ever owned RES.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Unfortunately, it is illegal to sell turtles in NJ. I am extremely disappointed. I don't know about any surrounding states. We ARE willing to go to New York to purchase ONE LEGALLY of course, or maybe PA, but I am not sure. My parents still feel bad for me, they know how excited I was, so we might just settle for a simple hermit crab or two. Much easier to care for, and I've had plenty of experience with these critters. But I really wanted the turtle...

Sorry to hear about that. You did sound excited at first but the crabs would be easier to care for and less messy so you can look at it that way

I have owned both and the turtles can get so stinky so they have to be cleaned out like 'A LOT' anyway I use to have a few of the hermit crabs and they were pretty easy going. I liked them...but I wouldn't ever want anymore. I like fish better
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Sorry you are having a rough time finding a pet that everyone agrees on. I definately know how that feels(my mum is a very hard person to please).

Also, I'm not sure if I read your post wrong(its early in the morning. hehe), but it sounds like you want a turtle that doesn't get too big? RES typically grow to 10-12" with the proper care. Thats a pretty big chunk of turtle.

Anyway, I hope you have some luck soon! If you really don't want to settle for some crabs, just hold off for a bit and see if another animal catches your eye.

Well its a good thing you didn't get a hedgehog, they are insectivores! Good luck with the perfect pet search though.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Another problem with getting a turtle is finding a vet with any experience in treating one. Same with a hedgehog. If the animal gets sick you might have to drive hundreds of miles to find a vet who knows about these exotic pets.