Thread: Itchy, itchy, ITCHY girls!

Itchy, itchy, ITCHY girls!

Let me first tell you I am sure it is not fleas! I believe it is just really dry skin, or allergies. But my poor Sadie and Rita, (mostly Sadie) have been scratching like crazy! I NEED to make a vet appt, plus, they are due for their yearly shots. Do you have any reccomendations on a soothing, moisturizing shampoo for them?? Sadie's new name is Thumper, becuase when ever she scratches, she thumps her back leg on the floor! Poor girl. I'm going to make a vet appt. ASAP! Thanks a lot!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

No ideas re shampoo.

If it is dry skin, adding fish oil to their food will help. Salmon oil, or you can buy capsules you break and drip into the food.

Sounds yucky, but I will deff give this a try! Thanks so much!

Kaitlyn (the human)

The oil supplement is a good idea. Fish oil in general should be OK, but stay away from Salmon. (Mercury poisoning is rampant.) You can use other oils also like flax seed or sesame for variety. Raw egg is another option along with this.

First off though is a trip to the vet to make sure they don't have mange. (The itching can start long before any hair loss, redness, etc.)

I'd had no complaints from the dogs using Corn Huskers lotion as an after bath rinse to temporarily alleviate dry skin. (Since i do double sudsing to make sure i strip their oils.) I do about 1/4 - 1/3 7oz bottle diluted into about 20 - 30 oz of water. After i get done THROUGHLY rinsing the dog of any soap, i then slowly pour over the diluted lotion mixture (cupping my hand as need be so that it goes towards the skin instead of just running off the hair.) I then make the dog wait about five minutes before shaking off (and then toweling.)

If they have something like mange than lotion isn't going to help matters any, but make it worse.

Good luck to poochies!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Our Jess has been a bit itchy lately too and she's a little scurfy and her coat a bit dry. The vet told me to use evening primrose oil and give her between 500 and 1000mg each day. I gave her her first capsule today so I'll see how it goes.
    I also treated her for fleas even though neither me or the vet could find any. We have two cats as well and treated them. You can never be too safe with cats because they bring them in and Jess suffers from flea allergies.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will keep you updated!

Kaitlyn (the human)

Dr. Apple came at about ten. I am at school, so I didn't get to talk to him or anything. I'm pretty sure they have mange... Sadie is still very itchy, and is losing hair on her tummy and inside of her back legs... please keep her in you prayers!

Kaitlyn (the human)

If oil might make them less itchy while they are on treatment, there is a canine Omega 3 - 6 oil in a pump form, which can be mixed with food.

I hope they feel better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

OMG, I am SUCH AN IDIOT! Yep, I was wrong, it's fleas! Dr. Apple gave mom frontline, and some antibiotics. Thanks again, everyone!

Kaitlyn (the human)