Thread: Portohepatic-Shunt?

Portohepatic-Shunt?

Have any of you had any experience with this pup condition? I am looking for any information about the shunt because my best friend is trying to find anything about the condition, surgery and how to care for this little puppy up until surgery can be done. Her little Yorkshire Dudley is five months old and the vets have found that he has this.

The puppy's mom had hoped that maybe some PetTalker's might have direct experience. Niether of us had ever heard about it before but read a little about it on some vet websites.

Dudley is very, very sick right now and having more tests to see if his liver is strong enough to have the surgery.

Thanks for any shared experiences or suggestions

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Debbie ~ Medical jargon is beyond me. But, do you think it might be the same as an intrahepatic portosystemic shunt?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=125861

IMOM had a case on this: http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/com...showtopic=2619 "Mya is a 4 month old Shepard/Mix that has been diagnosed with an intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. The procedure for this is called Percutaneous Transjugular Coil Embolization. Treatment for Mya is only available at MSU and U of Penn.

She found a wonderful vet - Dr. Beal at MSU (I think that's Michigan State) - who did a lot of research and was able to help out this poor pupper. Last I heard, Mya was still going strong.

If it's the same thing, you might contact IMOM. I'm sure they would be happy to share what they learned during this case. Also, her foster mom could give you more info. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...d=8059341%2522
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Lisa - it sounds like it may be the same thing??

Darla - will this help? Maybe the vet college would want to call this contact as it all sounds fairly new and the more shared the better. Whatever - what is happening with Mya and Dudley may be able to help someone else out.

I think Dudley lives in Missouri?? Darla - where is the vet college that may be doing his surgery??

Let us know updates about the two dogs ... ok??

Poor pup. There was somebody on another board who's Toller had a shunt and he came out fine and is pretty much back to normal, but I'm not sure what she did before he was able to have surgery. I wish there was some sort of advice I could offer, but I can't. I hope everything goes well for him.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

First I want to say Thank you we are still so worried about little Dudley he is a very sick little guy. He lives in Kansas and will be going to KSU I think it is in Manhatton KS for the surgery. This is my son and dil little puppy. After he eats he is very tired and weak. In the morning he gets up and plays some and then in evening when they come home he plays a little. But after he eats he is out of it for awhile. They said sometimes he can't even take a drink his little head falls right into the water. He is on medicine now that helps a little. My dil has called around to different college to try to get more information on this condition. I email them to tell them about MSU. Will try to keep you posted. Again Thank you.
    Last edited by Darla_6; 09-23-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Here is an email from my son tonight sent to me on Dudley

It looks like this coil surgery is for shunts that are inside the liver. it's possible this might be, but most of the time these small dogs have them outside the liver.

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/pss.htm

This is the best site that I've seen that describes it. Likely, they'll put a ring on the shunt like you see in this site. As long as they find it (the shunt), it shouldn't really be too bad of a surgery. It just depends on the shape his liver is in.

Dudley is at KSU today for his ultrasound I am waiting to hear from my son or dil tonight.

The shant is on the outside the liver and this is good Dudley will have his surgery tomorrow and they should know tomorrow how it turned out. He was doing pretty good over the weekend the medicine he was on is working and he was playing and running all over! My dil said he was almost 100% back to himself. Dudley weights 7 pounds and the Vet there at KSU was happy to see this she said they have done this surgery on 1-2 pound Yorkshire puppies and they are really small!

Prayers for Dudley...sounds promising!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I talk to my dil this evening and the surgery went well it did take the Vet a little longer then planned. Dudley is doing fine he was having some regurgitating problems when waking up. They are watching his lungs because of this but the Vet says every thing looks good and he might get to come home Saturday or Sunday. They want him home so bad but know he needs to stay there for a couple days. The Vet will call them tomorrow and let them know how he is doing. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers for little Dudley. I will posted when he gets home.

Dudley is coming home today!!!! They are on there way this morning to pick him up. The only thing I do know is that he will have to be on an antibiotic for six weeks. I will know more when they pick him up. My dil said they have been calling her twice a day to let her know how he is doing. They are so anxious to get him and have him home!

Will update as I get more information.

Glad the surgery went well. Now prayers for a quick recovery!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

It's good to hear the Vet said the surgery was successful & he's doing well.
    I hope the little guy heals up fine.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Dudley should be home by now!! My son called me on there way home and said Dudley looks good! I ask him how long the incision was and he said it was longer then he thought, from his upper chest and over halfway down his stomach. They have to keep him quiet(no barking running jumping playing) now for two weeks! He said Dudley was so excited to see them and was climbing up them and broke open a scabs on his leg where a IV had been. He has to take 3-4 different medicines and be on a low protein diet for awhile and will have a check up at 6 weeks will be a blood test they will do before he eats then again after he eats to see how his protein levels are doing. It will be very hard to keep Dudley down he has a sister that is a very big dog!! She is a Weimaraner. My son says Dudley thinks he is a big dog in a little body!! Tries to keep up with Schatzi, drags her blanket all over and shakes it!! He will have to wait for two weeks to do this. I can not wait to see him this Friday!! Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers. Dudley is on the road to recovery.