Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone just told me...

Someone just told me...

That Jasper would be better off back at the shelter than wearing a shock collar when I leave the apartment.

I thought.....I'd post that here...because I'm too pissed to say much without getting banned from that board.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'd have been tempted to ask them to spend a couple weeks in a kennel at the shelter, then reconsider the notion. Jasper is a loved doggie with a home - that's far better than any shelter situation, and so much better for him emotionally as well. Give him a good belly-rub from me, okay?

Lady would have a reply to that, but I can't type in doggie, and dog curses don't translate well to english.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Shock collar?

Goodness. I would hope there would be an alternative. I don't know the entire story. And guess what? Electric fences are "shock collars" too, arent' they? I guess if you have no other way of dealing with the pupsters issue(s) then you have to use it!

I guess I should keep my trap shut when it comes to shock collars as I don't know how much of a shock the collar actually gives the dog.

I highly trust Karen's opinion - more than anyone here..... so if Karen is ok with it, then I am sure I am too, in the long run.

Could it be the term "shock" that gives the collar the stigma?

Well, it's none of their business is it? Unless you asked for an opinion
    they should MTOB. I didn't even know you used a shock collar.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Why in the world would someone say something as silly as that? Nothing wrong with shock collars when used properly, some high profile trainers recommend them as a training tool.
    Shock collars come with up to 6 degrees of "shocks". You can set it for the mildest, which is more of a surprise than anything, sometimes that's all a dog needs.
    Thinking a dog is better in a shelter is lunacy. I think the mental shock of a shelter is far more harmful than a loving home with a training aid that won't last and will teach the dog manners.

I'VE BEEN BOO'D

Cathy..I have watched it all with Jas...............You are a great Mom and to hell with those that say otherwise. Jasper is a well loved well kept and adored boy.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Jasper has separation anxiety and barks when we're gone. We're working on behavior modification to reduce his anxiety....but that takes TIME, and in the meantime we were close to getting evicted because of the neighbors complaining about his barking.

I can leave him with my parents, but he gets left in an outdoor run with their two dogs and he squabbles with Wilbur sometimes...I'm concerned that one of them might hurt the other while they're unattended....or a predator get to their run, or a nasty passerby decide to steal or hurt them.

We have done doggy day care, but I don't have $35 a day to bring him there, so it's an occasional treat. (For both of us! I love to bring him home and have him ready to sleep, rather than come home to a dog who has been sleeping all day)

The collar is effective on its lowest level, and I've held it to my skin while he barks. It feels like a medium-strength static zap to me. It's a workable solution, and buys us some time while we work in his issues with anxiety.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Interesting...

Thanks for the low down. I suspect the doggie is much happier at home... and will get the hang of this barking thing....and keep it down to a dull roar!

I can imagine how much the neighbors are ticked about the dog barking all day long. It would drive me crazy too!

Glad Jasper has a good Mom and a loving home. Get with the program Jasper! And stop that darn barking!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 09-22-2007 at 06:12 AM.

There is nothing wrong with shock collars, used properly. Which you obviously are.

Ignorance abounds. Don't let it get to you.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

www hun dont let it get to you!! we all know how well you take care of Jasper!! You are a good dog momma!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

My neighbor used a shock collar on her dog because he would bark when she left the house (and a neighbor in the alley complained cause he worked nights and slept days). She was a trainer as well. The dog was fine, and she didn't get reported anymore because Rusty didn't bark up a storm. You do what you can and what you have to do... Jasper looks well loved!

Cinder's got a *ZAAAPer Collar"!

Cinder got a NO-Bark Zapper Collar back when we made Sunday trips to visit Mom in
    the Health Center at her Retirement Village near Pittsburgh.

Miz Cinners just would NOT keep quiet in the car (or under the pine tree forest) when it was Smokey's turn to go in to see Mom. Two Sundays in a row she **barked** her fool head off - for HOURS I was told! The Guards said she was either to be QUIET or stay home!

We got her Zapper at PetsMart on Monday ... by Friday she was an "experienced" NO-Barker!

Sunday came ... Zapper ON ... Somokey and I headed off - "See ya in a while, Cinners."

YIPP, YAPP - Barkety-BARK!!

OK, (click) here's Stage 2 --- see how this feels.

YIPP, YAPP - BAR ... EEE-Yipes ... (pause) BARK - BAR ... YIKES! ... BARK!!

Grrrrrr ... (CLICK) to Stage #3 ... "Let's see ya ignore THAT!"

We got just outta her sight ... BAR-kkk - YIPP ... (silence)

Never heard a "word" out of her the rest of that summer on Sundays!

The Zapper has also come in handy when we camp in a Motel ...
    Miz Cinners likes to *alert* me with a round of Panic BARKS when a neighbor
    either comes in late; or leaves early in the morning.
    The Zapper insures the *alerts* are confined to a quick and soft *YIPP*.

PS:
    Cinder even respects the NO-Bark Zapper when ...
    * I forget to actually turn it ON
    * When it has a stone dead battery

She also *CHEWED IT UP* (rather thoroughly) one Sunday when I took it off and
    just tossed it on the seat (Smokey was keeping her company while I took Mom to Church) ...
    I called the NO-Bark folks and told the tail of destruction ...
    She *laughed* and said "$20 bucks and we'll send you a brandy new one ...
    happens ALL the time!"
    We had a NEW Zapper by Friday ... it now lives in the glove box when it's not on her neck!

Cruel ??
    Not in the least - SHE's in charge of what happens - and totally understands:
    * If she wants to *bark* - she puts up with a "pain inna neck"
    * If she want to be *QUIET* - no pains!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Autumn has a shock collar from when she was younger. I've taken a shock from it. It doesn't hurt. What really got to me were the vibrations it gave off. Apparently she didn't like the vibrations either, but I know it didn't hurt her.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont
    Goodness. I would hope there would be an alternative. I don't know the entire story. And guess what? Electric fences are "shock collars" too, arent' they? I guess if you have no other way of dealing with the pupsters issue(s) then you have to use it!

I guess I should keep my trap shut when it comes to shock collars as I don't know how much of a shock the collar actually gives the dog.

I highly trust Karen's opinion - more than anyone here..... so if Karen is ok with it, then I am sure I am too, in the long run.

Could it be the term "shock" that gives the collar the stigma?
    I don't know how much of a shock they give the dog either but if it is about the same as an electric fence (and I would guess it is) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a shock collar (used correctly).

Growing up, my family had an electric fence around our yard to keep our doggies in. I got "shocked" by the fence several times. It's not really painful; it's more surprising than anything else.

I'd say the word "shock" in shock collar is what most people get stuck on. They are thinking about major bolts of electricity or the old versions of shock therapy and that's simply not what a shock collar is. If it had a different name, people probably wouldn't object so much, even though it's the same thing.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!