Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 3 year old Tort. Female Ashley - Coughing Suggestions Please Vet Appt Monday Even.

My 3 year old Tort. Female Ashley - Coughing Suggestions Please Vet Appt Monday Even.

Here is a link to the thread that started about Ashley:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=133452

She's still coughing, I called the vets back to ask whether I should bring her in again or not and she said she'd like to see her again and to make sure she is eating which I'm sure she has been. I caught her last weekend or sometime this week eating, it's hard to watch with 6 cats now.

Plus she hates me right now and won't come out when I'm home because I had to give her pills and she hates that.

So now she only seems to come out when Hubby is home. I'm going to stop and get some tuna tonight to make sure she is eating but I know last night she had some milk late in the night.

She seems to be doing this hard cough almost like she is going to throw up but then she sorta jerks her head likes it's hard to swallow.

I just talked with the vet and she said that she would like to possibly sedate Ashley and have a closer look at her throat. I'm pretty scared about that but she said she could have a Polyp in her throat. She said she really wants to make sure though that Ashley is eating and drinking which I know she is.

Basically what I'm wondering is has anyone else here experienced this?

I'm going to try to find my recorder thingy so incase if she starts tonight or this weekend I'll have her on tape so the vet can hear it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 09-24-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Sorry I havent experienced a cough.
    I would suggest confining in a small area (spare room, bathroom)where access is easy to get to her or better yet crate her.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I don't know alot about coughing in cats as mine have never done anything like you're describing, and we rarely see ones doing that at the hospital, most of those are sneezing not coughing.

As far as watching to be sure 6 cats are eating, I'm having to assume you free feed them? I have 7 cats (used to be 8) and I feed them several times a day, keep everyone in their own food bowls for 10-15 minutes, then pick up the food bowls so I always know who's eating and who isn't. If I have one I'm monitoring for bathroom habits etc, then I shut that one in a room by themselves.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Awww! I would want them to look and see what is cauding her to cough like that too. That sounds so scarey! Poor babies, they can't tell us what is bothering them. Keep us posted on this!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I do free feed my cats, they get a handful of food and I have 5 bowls only because the kitten just came along and she doesn't eat that much right now.

Good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I don't know alot about coughing in cats as mine have never done anything like you're describing, and we rarely see ones doing that at the hospital, most of those are sneezing not coughing.

As far as watching to be sure 6 cats are eating, I'm having to assume you free feed them? I have 7 cats (used to be 8) and I feed them several times a day, keep everyone in their own food bowls for 10-15 minutes, then pick up the food bowls so I always know who's eating and who isn't. If I have one I'm monitoring for bathroom habits etc, then I shut that one in a room by themselves.

I do too. Right now my money is really tight but hopefully I can come up with the funds necessary to pay for this depending on the costs (the vet said we can discuss that on Monday during her visit). I will do what I have to do to make sure if Ashley needs to be sedative that she will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    Awww! I would want them to look and see what is cauding her to cough like that too. That sounds so scarey! Poor babies, they can't tell us what is bothering them. Keep us posted on this!

I do too. Right now my money is really tight but hopefully I can come up with the funds necessary to pay for this depending on the costs (the vet said we can discuss that on Monday during her visit). I will do what I have to do to make sure if Ashley needs to be sedative for this procedure that she will be no matter the cost.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies

I wonder if she is trying to cough a hairball?

Hopefully the vet can just have a peek in her throat and see what's there, if Ashley is a good girl!

I know it's really hard with 6 cats...any idea if she has been pooping in the box?

Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well Ashley is very very cranky when she goes to the vets, she loves car rides but I can't even get her to go with me since she thinks I'm going to be giving her a pill.

I'm not sure if she has been, I'm going to have to assume that she is using the litter box.

She did peek in her throat the last time I had her there and the vet saw that it was red which I did too and we just assume that it's because of the kitten that I brought into the house that had the URI but none of my other cats are getting sick which is weird because she is the only one in the house that has not cleaned the new kitten or really had any contact with her.

It does sound like she is going to cough up a hairball but much louder and she jerks her neck really hard like she is trying to swallow or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I wonder if she is trying to cough a hairball?

Hopefully the vet can just have a peek in her throat and see what's there, if Ashley is a good girl!

I know it's really hard with 6 cats...any idea if she has been pooping in the box?

Good luck!

Poor baby! I hope the vet can relax her and find out what it is!

Even a small abcess in a kitty's throat could cause problems.

When is her appointment?

HUGS and prayers to both of you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers From All Of Us For Your Dear Little Companion, And We Pray That Your Vet Finds That Its Nothing Serious, Or Expensive!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well the good news is I caught her eating not much though so I'm going to give her some tuna tonight.

Ashley's appt. is this coming Monday at 5:30 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Poor baby! I hope the vet can relax her and find out what it is!

Even a small abcess in a kitty's throat could cause problems.

When is her appointment?

HUGS and prayers to both of you!

My Yodie had a polyp that grew from her ear down into her throat and it caused her to cough, although that isn't the word I would use to describe it but I don't really have a word. She jerked her head in the same way and it's probably because she was trying to swallow, not knowing what it was and that it was stuck there. She didn't eat much either because it hurt to swallow and it also cut off her air that she needed to breathe. If it is indeed a polyp, your vet may be able to laser it, which is what my vet did. Yodie had a sore throat for a couple of days afterwards but she was fine and has been ever since. Good luck and keep us posted. We're praying for you both.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Well I managed to get Ashley on my recorder for the vets to hear but you can't make it out too well and this morning she woke me up coughing again. My husband said she did it a couple of times yesterday and I'm just getting worried about her. She is eating I do know that and she's drinking and she even wanted to play yesterday so other than hiding underneath the bed she's doing well.

I just hate not knowing what is wrong and you just wish she could tell me what hurts and where.

Could need antibiotics.Bartonnella can cause this.It's a 40 dollar blood test(here anyway).but it takes 1 week to find out.Zithromax or Azythromycin gets rid of bartonnella and the worst upper resporatory sicknessess.Or she could need predisone because she may have broncitis.But she would need an xray for that.
    I know you said it was in her throat but she may have broncitis so bad it made her throat red.
    I'm leaning more toward bartonnella.
    Then there is Chlamydia but that is WAY to expensive to test for.It cost us 900 bucks to find out my cat Trudy had it VERY bad.But she had wet coughs and laringitis and snotty nose.
    I doubt your cat has that.
    I'm no expert.But throwing things out to ask your vet.
    she needs a vet for sure.
    I hope she gets better quick.Good Luck and I'll say prayers.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix