Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Job offer.

Job offer.

A little while ago I was offered to move up in my job. I currently train for grooming and work at a shop and every few weeks go to the vet and groom.
    The person who worked full time at the vet got hurt and quit and they offered me to take over the job. I would be walking into 200 + clients already.
    I have to do more training till December ish then I move to the vets.

I think I'm leaving school to finish my training faster. I don't need my schooling for my job (as it will be my career too) and school stresses the heck out of me.
    Work is busy busy but it doesn't stress me out even with the dogs that bite and don't want to be done.
    Not to mention I need the money, I owe my parents for Ducks vet bills and if he has chronic crystals then I'll need my job. While in school I work one day a week for maybe 3 hours which = $60 a pay check for 2 weeks. It just doesn't cut it for me. I can save up for a car for when I move to my other job as it's about 20 minutes away. I could finally afford a horse, which I've wanted for I dont even know how long.

I just wanted to share, I'm pretty excited.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Isn't it against the law to quit school? Your employer could get in trouble.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

No you can leave at 16.
    See ALL my pets here

Oh I didn't know that...hopefully my daughter doesn't hear that

You should at least get your GED it couldn't hurt.

I have been frosted!

Whats GED?
    See ALL my pets here

I am not sure what it stands for but it is a test you take instead of finishing high school, it is a degree pretty much equivalant to a high school diploma and I don't believe its too hard to pass.

Maybe its a california thing??

I have been frosted!

Maybe, I thinkw e have something along the lines of that here but I think it's for when your 19 or something.
    See ALL my pets here

G.E.D. stands for General Equivalency Diploma. It's what they offer to you when you don't complete your regular high school coursework.

From what I've seen, it's a work at your own pace thing. They give you packets and books. When you complete them, you receive a G.E.D. It probably varies from place to place, though.

Do you plan to be a groomer forever, or at least 10+ years? If not, stay in school and get your diploma. Seriously. Dropping out will put you at a huge disadvantage later in life if you want to get a career in something that requires more of an education, and a higher salary. Not that grooming won't be a good job (I have no clue about this...), but I'd say at least get your diploma.

Not sure about Canada, but here in the US, you won't get much of anywhere without the minimum of your high school diploma, not to mention an associate's degree. Quitting school is never the answer.

If you are a smart sort of person (in school) you could probably go on and take you GED test, pass and get your diploma anyway. I have a foster grandson that quit, took his and passed and is done with school. If you don't pass, no sweat, you can study and go at your own pace but you NEED that diploma!!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Jenn_Librarian gave you great advice. Do yourself a favor and stay in school and get your diploma. Most employers require a high school diploma. Don't short change yourself. JMO.
    Last edited by moosmom; 09-21-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Not sure what other states are like, but here in PA, a GED won't get you crap. They have grades of diplomas for graduates. Were you in a general course, an AP course or a vo-tech course. Smarts or not, and I hate to say this, but it also has to do with being motivated and wanting to excel and do your best. Who wants to hire someone who decided to quit school and just take the GED because it was the easy way out??

Even if you go to a charter school, or take cyber school courses... get an education.

If your employer wants what is best for you, they would not suggest or encourage you to drop out. That's just wrong.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything either... seriously.... you seem like a really intelligent girl, it would be such a shame if you dropped out.

Sounds like a good job, but I don't think you should quit school, no matter how much it stresses you out and don't like it. School does that to almost everybody. One of the stupidest things people can do for themselves (IMO) in today's society is quit going to school. You never know what could happen later on in life; you may need that diploma someday.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Stay in school and get your diploma. Dropping out will really hurt you in life and you will be sorry about dropping out. Quiting college is one thing you can always go back, but dropping out of high schoolis a bad idea.

This is just my opinion. It's your desicion. You do what you think is right.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Do not quit school!!

Today's society is very fast-paced and very competitive. I'm sure your job is fantastic now, but think about the logistics. I assume you still live with your parents. I'm sure you'd want to move out and begin an independent life with your own car. That means bills, bills, insurance, bills, (and here in America), TAXES. After you pay off your bills and taxes and insurance, you are left with a fraction of your original paycheck. Not to mention your mortgage/rent/food/pet food/pet supplies, too...

In the long run, your education will stick with you forever. Your job? Not so much. As a fellow teenager, I can sympathize with you. School is stressful, but, like Aristotle once said, "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet".