Thread: identity crisis...

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

identity crisis...

I think my puppy is going through a very big identity crisis. She starts to jump up and down, higher and higher. I have this feeling she thinks she's a goat living in the Swiss Alps???

This is not just funny, but I'm also a bit worried what all this jumping will do to her bones and muscles. She's an almost 5 month old incredibly happy-to-be-alive and better-get-all-the-people-out-there-know-me Golden Retriever who jumps as high as 1,5 meters.

Sounds like a wonderfully happy little pup with a zest for life. You can bet that this exercise is good for the muscles and the attitude. Be Happy!!!!!

A 5 month old Golden puppy who can jump 1.5 meters (roughly 5 feet) is pretty amazing. Is this standing still and then jumping or jumping off of ledges or hills?

Personally, I do not start jumping my dogs for competition at excessive heights until they are 2 years old. The reason is their bones are growing at such as rapid pace during this time that I don't want to take the risk of causing problems later in life such as hip or joint problems. Goldens are not considered full grown until 2 and while many hip problems are genetic, not all are! Try to find a way to stop this pup from jumping. Maybe teach a command "NO JUMP". Running and swimmig are the best forms of exercise for your pup. Try to channel her energy into chasing a ball or frisbee or something like that to get her to stop jumping until you are ready to get her to jump.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Well, my little kangaroo jumps from stand and I'm definately not encouraging it because the last thing I want, is a dog with bone problems. But she just keeps on jumping, especially when we're at the doggy playground in the morning. There the dogs run (and jump) around and the humans walk a bit, so usually the dogs are too busy to listen to any commands.
    I'll try to get her to understand the 'no jump' command though, it might help.
    Thanks!