Thread: Pet Suggestions for Landlords, Please (for real)

Pet Suggestions for Landlords, Please (for real)

OK.

I have been chipping away at this - but I finally contacted the head guy at the Calgary Landlord Association after getting his name from the manager of the Calgary Humane Society.

The CHS and the CLA have cooperated in the past. I wrote to the CLA fellow, and offered to write a short article along the lines of "IF you were going to allow pets in your building, what conditions would you have?"

Here is the rest of the email:

I realize some of the members are dead-set against any pets because they have been burned so badly in the past. My question to all your members would be: "IF you were going to allow pets, what would your conditions be?"

Example:

1. Proof of vaccination and spay/neuter, and name of vet. (If there is a regular vet, and the pet has been a patient there for some time with regular checkups, chances are the owner is responsible.

2. Three references from former landlords/neighbours/roommates.

3. Call/email Animal Control with previous address to see about complaints.

4. Extra deposit.

5. Two-three month probation, which tenants sign and agree to. They then have 1 month to rehome the pet, or Animal Control/Humane is called in.

6. Designating a certain # of suites per building as pet-friendly.

Gerry, these are just ideas off the top of my head. They mean extra work, so a Pet Application fee should apply. On the one hand, I am concerned about the slowly dwindling number of homes for pets, which means perfectly healthy and sweet critters are put to sleep because of overcrowding - and on the other, I absolutely understand the landlord's position. It is more the owner that has to be evaluated along with the animal.

If you would be willing to put something in your next newsletter, I would be happy to write it, and get feedback from your members. I would also suggest the results might be a good educational piece to put in the local news through the Humane Society or just through your organization.
    PLEASE add your suggestions - just in case I get to do this. Failing all else, I am writing to the papers!

Thanks!

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What about something about picking up the waste? Or a designated poop spot?
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I Remember That In My Last Apartment Building There Were Quite A Few Older People With Cats And Dogs.
    But There Always Someone Who Will Ruin It By Being Responsible And Ruin Things For Those Who Care For Our Pets.
    Thats A Great List , If I Was A Landlord I Would Insist On Those.
    The Trouble Is That The Irresponsible Ones Sneak The Pets In
    Or Take Them In Later.
    I Will Never Forget The Super Who Was Cursing When An Idiot Used A Cardboard Litter Box And The Bottom Split Open. Pu!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My sister-in-laws pets all had to be "interviewed" by the landlord before she moved in.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

On step 5, shouldn't there also be an option for the tenant to break the lease without penalty and relocate? I think the way it reads now, the only option is to lose the pet.

Actually, the way it is worded just now, I am not sure what the 2 or 3 month probation is. Should that be clarified, ". . . probation to assure no complaints arise due to the pet(s). If complaints do arise, then . . . ."

Now could you also do an addendum for people who don't properly oversee their kids? Having lived in apartments for 15 years prior to buying my own home, I had way more trouble with them than I ever did with pets!

Honestly if I were a landlord I'd require topical flea preventative from the vet, not the grocery store stuff, and be able to provide proof of purchasing it. Course that's not to say the people will actually use it though.

A house/apt. infested with fleas can get out of hand very quickly, and cost a ton in hiring an exterminator, replacing carpeting, and possibly spreading the fleas to other appt's in the building adding even more to the cost.

Other than that the only other thing I can think of would be monthly unscheduled inspections. If they schedule a day it would be easy for someone to hide signs that they were a bad pet owner or not following the rules. I figure if after a year of unscheduled inspections and if everything is ok, then probably go to only inspecting ever other month, then gradually stretch that out perhaps. JMHO

Biggest issue is that not all landlords love pets, and not all pet owners take proper care of pets, sad but true fact. The strictest landlord in the world can still have money lost by a bad pet owner, and a good pet owner can still be burned because of other bad pet owners that have jaded the landlords. I don't know that there is a win-win scenario here. I think you covered the basics though with background checks, vet referalls, etc. Good luck with your project.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Freedom:
    Now could you also do an addendum for people who don't properly oversee their kids? Having lived in apartments for 15 years prior to buying my own home, I had way more trouble with them than I ever did with pets!
    Hey - isn't that what duct tape is for???

Keep them coming, guys! Freedom - the ones I emailed were off the top of my head...if anything was implemented, the rules would have to be put in 'legalese'.

Cat General is the only place where I have received any suggestions, so far.

Don't worry. I went in through Dog General, clicked on your link, read and posted my reply so it came through on Cat General. Also, PT tends to be less busy weekends; especially Friday evenings. Something to do with people who don't have kids and tons of pets and can get out? I vaguely recall . . . . . .

Something to do with people who don't have kids and tons of pets and can get out? I vaguely recall . . . . . .
    Oh, yeah....called having a, er....having a...LIFE or whatever that word is?

Main points I agree with are:

# Interview of each pet BEFORE tenant is allowed to have it. (Includes references on owner.)

# Have to provide proof yearly that pet is up to date on vaccinations.

# Possibly doing random inspections.
    Last edited by crow_noir; 09-15-2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: just stating that I too am posting from the link in Dog General.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I serve as on-site manager for the eight-unit building where I live. As it happens, the landlord is an animal lover, God bless him. He owns two dogs, but we still have to be VERY careful about dogs, due to problems in the past with irresponsible owners who let the dog poop in the front yard or (worse) on the walkways and didn't clean up. When I take an application from a dog owner, he ALWAYS asks me if I met the dog.

He charges an extra pet deposit to cover cleaning and fumigation on move-out. He also has a provision in the lease for pet owners stating that the tenant is not to bring any additional animals on the property. Naturally, I'm also expected to report any problems, such as insects or smells.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

As long as there is no pet rent Im happy.

I mean, I understand the extra deposit, but extra cash every month is just plain stupid!