Thread: Two interesting articles

I have heard about dogs getting sick and even dying from rabies shots. That is so scary.

Thats real interesting... Thanks for sharing those...
    Makes me worry though... should I have Tinky and Jupiter vaccinated every year or not... the one vet said they only had thiers vaccinated twice and only did rabies every year?!?!?!!?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Good articles! I always knew that dogs were smart
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

There are ways of telling what vaccinations your dog does need but it is very expensive. It is call tither testing and is done through bloodwork. If you find a holistic vet, they can explain this better. I know it is something I have been worried about too. Aunt Jazz who passed away in March (regular Pet Talkers will remember me posting about this) had her vaccinations in January.

I decided that I would not vaccinate mine every year. The canine health foundation along with the Golden Retriever Club of America is currently doing studies to find the relationship in yearly vaccinations and the high instance of cancer being found in our dogs today over 10 or 20 years ago. The problem is that when they are vaccinated their immune system is suppressed for up to two to three weeks before it kicks in again. It is believed that during this period is when these fatal diseases are manifesting themselves. It is scarey.

Until all the research is done, I will wait. I do have a holistic vet that will do tither testing on mine to determine when the vaccines are absolutely necessary.

I always knew dogs are smart!!!

I had a Doberman many years ago. I taught him to go to the door and bark when he needed to go outside by talking to him and telling him what he needed to do. I went to the door and "barked" twice, opened the door and went outside. I did this twice, then left the room. A few minutes later, I heard two barks. When I went back in the room, Prince was sitting proudly by the door, wagging his butt, waiting to be let out.

Prince giving Spike a kiss:
    Mom of 5 dogs, 6 cats, a bird, and a donkey!
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291557495