Thread: Chaplin has a heart murmur; Update #11

Chaplin has a heart murmur; Update #11

Chaplin is about 4.5 months old. I trapped him July 15th as part of a TNRM project and ended up keeping him. He went to the vet today.

He had his fiv/flv testing (both negative), deworming and 1st distemper shot through the feral cat rescue group. So today he was in for his 2d distemper shot, his rabies, and to schedule his neutering.

Amidst all that, I learn he has a heart murmur! OH NO!!!

We return in 4 weeks to recheck the heart.

As far as the neutering, I have 2 choices. I can have an ultrasound done first, or I can sign a waiver and have the general anesthesia and neutering done with the understanding that he could die on the table. Something about the general anesthesia and the heart murmur don't mix well.

This was quite a shock. Oh, he weighs 5 pounds today.
    Last edited by Freedom; 10-03-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Did they say how bad the heart murmer was? Even with just a stethascope (sp?) they should have an idea how bad it is.

Dusty had one since at least 1997 but probably had it from birth. She'd only ever had EKG's done and hers was mild until she was about 16. She'd had several general anesthetic dentistries done with lab work only (no ultrasound) and did just fine. But with any anesthetic, even in a very young healthy animal, there is always some risk.

I guess for me it would depend on the vet's impressions of the heart murmer and the lab work results whether I'd go for the ultrasound or sign the waiver.

Hope the recheck goes well.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I remember with Lut's Snoopy, she had several birth defects and they weren't sure how anesthetic would affect her heart. Lut says she had "artificial respiration". I wonder if Chaplin could have a 'mask' on for the anesthetic.

Maybe he could be heavily sedated and a local used? I dunno.

HUGS and I hope all goes well.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Our Duffy was diagnosed with a murmur about 6-7 years ago. He had a cardiac ultrasound to diagnose the type. Fortunately, it was the same type of murmur as the one I have. It's just there sometimes, and sometimes not.

Usually when he goes to the Vet and gets in a tizzy - then it shows up. If that is what Chaplin has, it will not be noticeable when he is under anesthesia for his neutering.

Keeping fingers crossed that he has the insignificant kind

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Our vet told us that heart murmurs are rated 1 to 6. 6 being the worst. Pepper was born with a 6. No surgery or medication will help. She is happy and healthy 4 years after we adopted her. She has never been sick -- except when she was vaccinated. Chaplin is so young, there is a chance he will grow out of it.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

PT comes through again!

Thank you everyone! When we return for the recheck in 4 weeks, I will have plenty of things to discuss with the vet. AGAIN. He was amazed at all the info I learned from PT'ers last week for Bobby's allergy rash. So now here we go again. Thank you SO much for continually sharing your experiences!

Yes, hopefully he will grow out of it. Like my current asthma. I might grow out of it. I hope. I am also hoping that the murmur is below 4!

Our Riley was diagnosised with a Grade 4 at 8 months. He just turned 7 the end of August. So far, no symptoms nor meds. Prayers that your Chaplin will have to same as Riley. We get an ultrasound every other year, and no changes. He gets his teeth cleaned, so far, no problems. I had him nuetered at 4 months and he did very well. I hope that reassures you a bit.
    Nine is Fine!!

No technical knowleedge
    JUST PRAYERS FROM US ALL THAT CHAPLIN WILL BE ALL RIGHT.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I sure hope that it's not too serious and that he'll be able to get neutered without any problems. Hopefully he'll grow out of it like others have said. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace
    Our Duffy was diagnosed with a murmur about 6-7 years ago. He had a cardiac ultrasound to diagnose the type. Fortunately, it was the same type of murmur as the one I have. It's just there sometimes, and sometimes not.

Usually when he goes to the Vet and gets in a tizzy - then it shows up. If that is what Chaplin has, it will not be noticeable when he is under anesthesia for his neutering.

Keeping fingers crossed that he has the insignificant kind
    That seems to be it. We had the one month recheck today. It only shows up with he is excited / nervous. We were in the exam room a while and he calmed down and it disappeared. So for now, we are not going to do anything about it.

He weighed 6 pounds today so he is right on target!

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!

Great news!!