Thread: Im new to cats, whats "normal" for poop!

Im new to cats, whats "normal" for poop!

Ive had my 9 week old kitten Mowgli for 2 days and hes only pooped once! He has eaten a ton of food, and it seems kinda odd to me that he isnt pooping much at all.
    Anyone with more experience than me able to let me know what is normal?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Seems to me a 9wk old should be pooping at least 2-3 times a day, but if you just got him or he was very skinny and he's making up for lost time he might go less, but once in 2 days seems a bit extreme to me.

If he has a good appetite it's a good sign, but I'd get a check up with your vet anyways just to be sure your new kitten doesn't have any other health problems. Bring up your concerns about his pooping with the vet and a poop sample if you can get one.

Prevention is always less expensive and less heartbreaking than the 'just wait and see' approach.

Good luck and congrats on your new kitten, may you two have a long, and purrrfectly happy life together.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Maybe he's pooping somewhere else? Check the house plants...

Love, Columbine

hehe, well hes pooped twice now. The last one was stinky and long. Almost six inches Id guess!
    He is not skinny at all, in fact I think he is kinda plump. Funny thing is my friend got his sister, and she is skinny and not eating as much, yet pooping a whole lot more.

Hes definitely not pooping anywhere else, as he is in one room and all major hiding places are for the most part blocked off.

I think he may have felt embarrassed because the environment was new for him.
    As he relaxes more he'll find his rhythm.

Has your baby been to the vet? If you think he is "kinda plump," He may have worms!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Sandra Has An Excellent Point And That May Be Why His Poos Are Long And Slimy. I Would Get Him To A Vet Asap.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't think you have to worry, a new environment is probably why he didn't poop so much the first few days, and possibly a different diet. Glad to hear the second lot appeared in the litterbox.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Well the poop seems to be flowing fine now!

I do plan on taking him to a vet very soon, I just am trying to find a very good one in San Diego.