Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55 Whales stranded on my beach!

55 Whales stranded on my beach!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I turned on the news this morning...all the channels: MSNBC, CNN, Fox and the local news were using it as their lead story. In the early AM, on a Cape Cod beach, a beach just down the road from my house, 55 whales beached themselves after following into shore one ailing whale. Unfortunately, they stranded themselves on a beach that has an incredibly "low" low tide. You can walk out almost 2 miles on sand flats that are normally covered with water at high tide. 100's of volunteers showed up along with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Whale Rescue and other official groups, to try and keep the whales hydrated with wet towels and buckets of water. Unfortunately, since the tide is so low, it was impossible to physically move the whales into deep water until the tide changed. 10 whales succumbed but over 20 were successfully returned to the deeper waters and they are in the process of trying to move the remaining 20 or so. Seems everyone had heard the news and for hours now, the line of traffic trying to get to and from the beach has been backed up in front of my house. EVERYONE wanted to help. It was so, so sad to see these magnificent creatures struggling. Perhaps I was imagining it, but as I helped to pour buckets of water over their baking flesh (it was very hot today) you could almost see the look of thanks in their soulful eyes. No will will ever tell me that these are not thinking, feeling, sentient beings. Logan saw the whales (when she visited here last year) on a whale watch. I'm sure she knows what I mean! I was so moved by the whole experience. To know that they would choose to give up their lives rather than abandon just one of their pod was an almost life changing experience. It illustrates so beautifully the magnitude of the animal spirit. And as you can read in my signature below, no one captures the essence of that spirit more poignantly than the Cape Cod naturalist Henry Beston.

In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth." Henry Beston
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 07-29-2002 at 05:26 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

What a terrible thing! What a tragedy to have lost 10 of them. You are such a kind soul to help those poor creatures. Have the remaining 20 been rescued... or is it too early to ask?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I should have gone to see them. Although it is very sad for the whales that died today, you are very lucky to have been there!

Paul

Sandra, I have been watching the whale saga on the news today too. I wondered if it was near you and am not surprised that you were there to help. I'm sure you are right, that the whales were grateful for the relief given by the water poured over them. I was so hoping they would all be saved. From what I've read whales are one of the smartest animals and are very loyal to their families. Humans could learn a lot from them.

I have no doubt that the whales knew you were there to help. What a sad but amazing day. Keep us updated...

Poor things...I always am saddened when I hear of whales/dolphines/squid etc. being stranded on shore. Poor whales.

What a nice person you are to help....keep us posted!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I just came back a while ago and they were despartely trying to move the remaining whales out to sea. They believe they will be successful. Unfortunately, often the whales will return and beach themselves again. For that we'll have to see. It was just so amazing a sight. To see SO MANY huge creatures all lying side by side, struggling, gasping for "breath." Words cannot convey how overwhelming it all was. It was an HONOR to be able to help, though I did very little. There is in us, I believe, so spritual, soulful a connection that draws us to these magnificent creatures. People often mock the "Save the Whale" slogan, resuce effots and other such attempts to protect them. But when you see them up close, literally eye to eye, you feel the kinship, the bond we share as fellow living beings, merely struggling to survive on this planet we call earth, an earth I believe, God intended for all of his creatures to share with dignity and respect.

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

(Doh, I pressed "Reply" too quick!)

tats,

Whales are so very amazing to me. I remember in 4th grade...jeesh, how long ago what THAT!?!...we studies whales all year long...in each subject. I developed a respect for these beautiful, graceful creatures and it makes me so sad to see them so vulnerable.

I just pray that each and every one of these creatures are brought back to the ocean safely.

Here's the link to MSNBC news...Thanks Logan!

http://www.msnbc.com/local/CCT/M209738.asp

It is so sad when you actually see it. wow.

That is really great they were able to rescue so many though. It is so cool when people come together like that.

I read about that this morning from aol. I couldn't believe it, so sad. They were able to save some which is so beautiful. I hate that 10 of them died, but at least the majority are okay.

If anyone knows me well, they know that aside from cats in particular and most animals in general, my second passion is whales.

I have been watching CNN all day for updates on the whale's condition. It is interesting that they commented that the whale's always stay together as a pod and play together. If one is ill they still stay together and as we have seen beach themselves along with the ill member.

Sandra, I cannot tell you how I envy you. You have expressed so beautifully the feeling when making eye contact with them as you were trying to help. I believe it was just a week or so ago that they were able to remove a fishing net from the gills of another whale. After the removal the whale kept circling the boat almost as a thank you.

I always get very upset whenever I read that another 500 - 600 have been killed for "research". Exactly how many do you need a year for research? I had better stop - I get really wound up about this.

Sandra, thanks for rushing to help - and yes, we did lose ten, but because of the efforts of so many humans - 20 or so more have been saved.

Amen to that Gini! They truly are our kindred spirits! Thanks so much for your sweet words. I just came home from the beach and ALL of the remaining 20 odd are free and swimming in the sea, not a one in sight from shore!!! Let's hope they don't return!All that remains are the curious, the well wishers and the MANY TV news trucks and reporters! They're "camping out!" I have to say, the funniest sight was that of this very attractive woman, decked out to the "9's," in full makeup, a low cut silk jumpsuit and tiny, spikey high heels wobbling through the sand! Turned out she was a reporter! She didn't look too comfortable! And FYI, I learned today that in past years the primary product yielded from pilot whale harvesting....lipstick lubricant! Grrrrrrrrr!

Sandra, I just knew you would be out there helping to save them! You are an angel! I know it is sad that 10 died, but so many were saved! I know that as the whale looked into your eyes, he felt the love and compassion you have for all living creatures. You were part of the rescue! Hats off to you, Sandra!! I only wish that I could have been there to help, too!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Sandra, I just read this post and I couldn't believe what happened, thank goodness many of them were saved. I can imagine how it must have felt to be helping out with them.
    We have a place we call Point Loma, it's very high and one can go there and watch the Whales migrate to their breeding ground in Baja, California. It is quite a sight to see, when Don was in the Navy and in the Heliocopter they used to fly down the coast and watch them.
    Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry