Thread: Flexpetz and others 'rent a pet' programs

Flexpetz and others 'rent a pet' programs

http://www.flexpetz.com/index.html

Is it just me or do other pet talkers find this wrong?

It says they are all rescue dogs and have a carer for when they are not being rented out etc ... they say on the website it doesnt cause stress but still.... it just doesnt seem right to me.

It must be horrid for the dogs to get attached to someone and then the person takes them back and the dog never sees them again. I mean people can rent them out by the day, and take out another dog the next day, its like the dogs are being treated like an object.

I would like to hear other peoples views on this.
    Last edited by Whisk_Luva; 08-20-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

The only benefits I can see are a) they do save several rescue dogs from shelters, and b) it might increase the chance of them being adopted.

I would think the dogs would be ones that are laid back, or suited to change. Surely they choose them wisely - or it would hurt their business!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I see dogs as working animals, and the stress you think they would feel by this is elevated to human standards. A well adjusted dog taken care of by well adjusted people is going to do just fine. I'm sure they tell the renters about the commands they use for the dog and also give them a toy or blanket and the dog's normal food to help them adjust.

My concern was with the contract having a lower limit to how often they have to rent. I would never force somebody to rent a dog twice a month to stay in the program. They should be in on each care session 100%.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Do the "renters" have the option to adopt if they fall in love?

I think it's a good idea. It openly illustrates the fact that wanting to spend time with a dog is NOT the same as being willing to take good care of a dog, and probably averts a lot of mistaken adoptions that would end in neglect or worse.

Also, from the human side, it lets humans who KNOW they wouldn't take good care of a dog experience the healing company of dogs, thus rewarding their willingness to acknowledge their limitations and count the dogs into their decision.

Love, Columbine