Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures from Haines Alaska - Update Post 9 **We have an Eagle!**

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    OK ... Just HOW does one go about the "Successful Capture" of a WILD Eagle??

He does NOT look like he's "smiling"!

Prayers for his Full Recovery!
    Are you trying to imply that a sweet, little, cuddly eagle would hurt someone? No really. We did have to watch out for the talons that can crush human bones and the beak that can break fingers. Here is the whole story on his capture:

We had been watching him for 5 days. Yesterday he looked really bad so today we decided was the day to catch him. We went down to the beach and saw him stranded on a rock in the middle of high tide. We get a 24 foot tide here so most likely a few hours ago his rock was on dry land then slowly the rock became surounded by water. When Christa (my boss) and I walked up there were two people standing there watching him already. With the four of us the eagle became worried, lept into the ocean and swam out furthur to a "better" rock. Well this "better rock" was already covered in water and he was having trouble keeping a grip. He weighed his options, lept back into the ocean and swam for shore. Seeing that he was very dirty (rare for an eagle) and having a lot of trouble Christa and I decided now was the time to do it. We called Joel, our wild life "expert" and left a message telling him we were catching him. We recruited the two people from the beach who had been watching him and told them what the plan was. Christa cut into the woods and took a long detour around the eagle back to her truck where she got a blanket. She then walked towards the eagle from one side while I circled up and got between the eagle and the woods, the volenteer boy went straight forward from the other side and the volenteer girl went between him and the ocean (we basically surounded him). The eagle knew he was in trouble and his only hope was to get to the woods and in a tree. So he came waddling at me with claws, beak and wings flapping. I easily stepped out of the way because he was so weak and he really didn't want to hurt me, just to scare me. His plan worked and he was in the woods but he was too weak to get in a tree. We followed him and tried to throw the blanket on him a few times with no success, he was able to pull it off his head time after time. Eventually, and sadly, he got his injured wing stuck on a branch. At this point in time he tried fighting us as best he could by fliping on his back and snapping at everything within his reach with his talons and beak. Christa tossed the blanket over him and this time he just gave up and sat there. Joel showed up at this point in time and went back to the truck and got the dog crate. Christa grabed the eagles feet, joel grabed his head and they placed him in the dog kennel, shut the door and that was how we captured a wild eagle.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

What spectacular scenery! And your eagle is just amazing. You are so fortunate to have this opportunity and I can certainly understand your sentiment about wanting to stay 'forever'. I'm sure your life perspectives have taken on new meaning. I really admire the work you're doing and the choices you've made

Thank you for sharing with us, Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty

Christa tossed the blanket over him and this time he just gave up and sat there.

Christa grabed the eagle's feet, Joel grabed his head
    and they placed him in the dog kennel,
    shut the door and that was how we captured a wild eagle.

A Textbook Capture, huh?

Did the poor thing ever try to *wave* his White Flag?

Hope he gets a Window Seat on the flight.

Wow! Catching a wild eagle is certainly more exciting than my usual day! Gorgeous photos, I can see why you want to stay by that beautiful little lake for the rest of your life. I'll drop by for a cup of coffee (heck, I'll even make the coffee!) What a great experience for you. How much longer will you stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke

A Textbook Capture, huh?

Did the poor thing ever try to *wave* his White Flag?

Hope he gets a Window Seat on the flight.

Not at all! He was very fiesty through the whole thing untill the end when we finally got the blanket on him. Although, when we got him in the kennel and settled in, we tried to take the blanket and he refused to let it go, I guess he thought a complimentary blanket came with the free flight he will be recieving. He is flying out on a 6 passanger plane with no cargo hold. So this eagle won't be stuck under a plane, oh no! This eagle is flying first class!

cyber-sibes - I'm not a huge coffee drinker but if you are offering to make hot coco just stop on by!! LOL, I'm here untill September 27th and I arrived June 4th. It seems like every day in haines something new is happening. So far I have helped catch an injured owl, raven and now the eagle. I walk out of my apartment and there are moose in the street. The common talk at the bakery every morning is who saw what kind of bear in there yard. It's an amazing whole new way of life. Its the kind of place that you visit once and envy the people who get to enjoy it everyday. Even if it takes me till I'm 60, I'm going to live here, I couldn't imagine a better place in the whole world.

Karen - It was really sad to see him in such bad shape. The poor guy isn't the normal white of an eagle but more like a mixture between brown and yellow. They say eagles spend more time cleaning themselves then eating, I don't know if it's true but the certainly are very attentive to how they look so I can only imagine how sick this little guy must be in order to allow himself to get so dirty and covered in bugs.

He flys out at 8:15 tonight, a few more hours and he will be in the hands of people that can really help him.

Ashley

Wow Ashely, what an exciting story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I can see why you'd like to live there

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks for sharing pictures of the eagle. I felt like I was right there for
    the capture. Really hope the Rapture Center can fix him up. It's so neat
    to share this experience with us.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty

I'm here untill September 27th and I arrived June 4th. It's an amazing whole new way of life. Its the kind of place that you visit once and envy the people who get to enjoy it everyday. Even if it takes me till I'm 60, I'm going to live here, I couldn't imagine a better place in the whole world.
    Ashley
    Those pictures of the scenery are just amazing. And the eagle. Wow! That poor guy. I hope that lump on his chest can be taken care of.

What do you plan to do after Sept. 27th?? Is there any way that you can stay there and work, or are you interning and you have to leave at a certain time? I don't know the story of you getting there... sorry! Does the place where you are have the option to hire you full time?

WOW!!!

Amazing pictures!!!

I pray the Eagle makes a full recovery!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

What stunning photographs. It looks such an amazing place.

I feel a bit nervous sitting here with that eagle's beady eye on me. I just can't imagine grabbing it and stuffing it in a box!

these are wonderful, thank you so much! My mom and dad visited the Alaska Raptor Center on their trip there.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

What a beautiful scenery, and that eagle is gorgeous, glad you were able to capture him and get him cleaned up. Well done!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Beautiful pictures (both of the scenery and of the eagle), and great pictures! You are doing great work up there, Ashley, and I am so happy that you are not only getting this experience, but also remembering to share it with us.

Those pics are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    What do you plan to do after Sept. 27th?? Is there any way that you can stay there and work, or are you interning and you have to leave at a certain time? I don't know the story of you getting there... sorry! Does the place where you are have the option to hire you full time?
    I plan to go back to Atlanta GA where I'm from. I am an intern for the American Bald Eagle Foundation. They bring in 2 interns every season to help them run the museum during "cruise ship season" once the cruise ships stop coming (Sept 16) half the town shuts down (including the Foundation) so there isn't much work, if any. The foundation provides me with free housing right now, but during the winter they shut down the apartments
    (drain the pipes, cut off all electricty, etc) so during the winter I would have no where to live if I tried to stay. Right now they don't have the option to hire me full time, although they are looking for an intern hire for next summer and I'm seriously considering applying for the position.

Killearn Kitties - Even though he was pretty weak, he put up a good fight. Eagles beak and tallons are not something I hope to come up against again!

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I will continue to share pics and stories with you as the summer goes on!

Ashley