Thread: Reilly cherry eye AGAIN!!!!

Reilly cherry eye AGAIN!!!!

Well I am so pissed and aggravated and worried right now. While we were on vacation Reilly had surgery on his left eye for cherry eye, he had previously had the right one done. Friday the right one has a cherry eye again!!!!!!!!

He is only 8 mos old and has had two surgeries already and is now facing another one. I called my vet and wanted to know what the heck was going on, we were under the impression it was not supposed to come back after surgery. The vet that had explained everything was not our normal vet. Come to find out, our normal vet is the one that did his surgeries and he does not take out the third eyelid, due to it causing dry eyes for the rest of there lives and they have to be on drops.
    I told them had my husband and I known about this, we probably would have opted to have the eyelid removed and give him the drops, I would rather due that then to have him keep going through surgery.

This is totally ridiculus!!!!!!! so now we have to wait another week, while he heals from the last surgery before we can do anything. My poor baby, he can't go to daycare and play, Im hoping maybe we can take him to the dog park wed morning, we would both be able to monitor him and make sure he does not get scratched in the eye
    I hate this!!!!!!!

Actually, removing the third eyelid does not even mean they have to be on drops for sure.

Our Cincy had cherry eye in one eye when she was 10 weeks old. That eyelid was reattached. A few weeks later, she had it in the other, and the vet opted to remove that eyelid. We were told to keep an eye on her, and watch for signs of dry eye, that she may have to go on drops, but she will be 6 next month and so far, no other issues, no drops needed.

Good luck with Reilly. Did the vet give you any medicine to put on his eye in the meantime?

Poor Reilly. I'm sorry you all have to go through this again.Maybe this time you can have that eyelid removed and be done with it. I'd have to question the vet as to why this option was not made known to you. Pawsitive thoughts headed your way.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Wanted to know how that cute boy of your's was doing. Sorry he's having that problem. Hugs to you and Reilly!

Thanks Kay for checking, he still has the cherry eye, we are making an appt with the vet for this week to see where we go from here. Bless his heart he is so frustrated and so hate's being cooped up. We are finally taking him to the dog park this wednesday and jeff and i will just keep a really close eye on him, its not fair to him not to be able to get rid of some of this energy. how are your babies doing???

Well I was finally able to get Reilly into the Vet today, I have been so busy taking care of my mother and he wanted to wait a while to make sure the other eye was healed really well and give him some time in between surgeries.

So Tuesday, Reilly has surgery again on the original right eye!!

I know he will be fine, I just hate the idea my baby is only 9mos old and having a third surgery. Dr said he does not want to take the gland out, due to he might end up loosing the top tear gland and if so he will have really bad dry eye and it is much worse for them then it sounds.

Good news is we don't have to pay for a penny of this surgery, did not even have to ask the vet for a discount or anything, he just told me immediately I would be paying for nothing....

Reilly got his nails clipped while we were there, he bit Phil the vet tech, I have known for years.

So please say a prayer and send some PT healing powers our way for him to have a safe surgery.

Thanks alot
    Marti and Reilly

The best of luck to Reilly!

That was very courteous of the vet to give this surgery to Reilly! (to you free of charge.)

Bad boy biting tech!!! (Or did he deserve it? )

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I am sitting here at work waiting for the morning to come when I have to take my BooBoo to get his eye operated on again. I hate this, I know he will be fine, but this is his third surgery and it just hurts me he has to go through this at such a young age. He is only 9mos old. Just pray that this will be the last one!!!!!!!!!!

Marti, I am so sorry Reilly has to go through this again. Please know he will be fine. And I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow and I hope this will be the last surgery for the little guy.

HUGS!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Reilly came through surgery just fine, he is home now and as rowdy as ever...lol thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.
    lots of licks
    Reilly and Marti

Hugs to you and Reilly. Glad he is doing well. Here's to hoping it doesn't come back!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Hey Marti,
    How is little Reilly doing? Hugs to you both...

-rx bandits

Hey Kay,
    thanks so much for asking, he is doing really good, have not had a chance to post any recent pics yet, but hopefully i will soon...He got to go back to daycare Tues and was thrilled...so were daddy and i....lol This coming Tues the 9th he starts obedience class, so hopefully that will help all of us out.
    But other than that he is great, just as rowdy and full of life as always. I tell you as frustrated as I get, I could not even put into words how much I love that boy...lol

I'm glad he's doing better! hopefully that's the last we will see of that icky cherry eye! I know what you mean... Mufasa can make me pretty frustrated at time (he recently chewed a hole in our carpet!) but I still love the pup.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your boy. You need to bring him over this way, I bet he and Moo would have a blast together.

-rx bandits