Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussies

Aussies

Does anyone know a lot about Australian Shepherds? I would love to learn more about them! I asked Dog Fancy to put Aussies in their magazine, so in January of 2002, the Aussie is going to be the cover dog!!!! If you know anything about Aussies, please post it here! Thanks!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I don't know anything about them. But I'm sure someone here will get back to you soon.
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

I am so glad someone decided to post about Aussies. I have before but no one replied. I love Australian shepherds. My Aussie is turning a year old this month! I know quite a bit about them. They can be in a variety of colors including blue merle, red merle, black, liver, all with or without white flashings and tan markings. Average height is 19-22 inches at the shoulder. They are very hyperactive dogs. They are very people friendly but can sometimes be reserved around some strangers. They are very protective, but are excellent with children, and are even sometimes called the "nanny dog". Aussies are considered one of the smartest breeds of dogs. They have the herding capability of Border collies but aren't as intense, which can be a good thing at times, if you do not want your livestock bitten (not agressively) or scared. If you want to know anything else just post it here or e-mail me! If I don't know it I will find out.

Aussies are so wonderfully athletic and intelligent, aren't they?? A friend has an Aussie too, and HIS name is Bandit!! The 24th is coming soon Bandit! Am I right?? Is it the BIG "0-1???" Now remember, give Mom that poor pitiful me look when you paw her your birthday wish list!! A good friend of mine has 2 Aussies, 1 Cattledog and a Border Collie! Things REALLY hop around her house!

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

My dog Hercules is part Aussie. His mom was the Aussie and his dad is my other dog who is a rotty/border collie. Here is a picture of Herc

I have a question for Aussie owners. Are your Aussie's aggressive towards other people not in your family?

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

I love Aussies. My Bandit's b-day IS the 24! He will be 1 year old! I TOO have a cattledog. I don't have a border collie, but my grandpa does. Your neighbor and I have so much in common. We are going ot have a mini birthday party for Bandit with all the dogs that we have. I am going to make special dog treats and buy Bandit some big toy that is indisposable (or else it wouldn't last very long).

My Aussie is definately not agressive towards other people. Some Aussies can be, though. He is sometimes with other dogs, though. One way to reduce aggresiveness is to take them into public as much as foten. We do a lot and Bandit loves it when little kids come up and give him hugs. He gets many compliments, too. I have had about 3 people offer to buy him from me! But I would NEVER sale him, not for anything. I'm sure everyone else is the same way about your dogs.

Bandit swimming

That pic wasn't very good I'll get a bigger one...

Although Graham is an aussie mix he does not have all the traits of an aussie...only some of them. He is vocal, he will occationally herd kids (gently of course), he is extremely smart and he is easy to train. He does not have the energy level...he's actually pretty darn mellow! He casually runs or trots throught the agility courses. He's very accurate but he does not have the typical aussie speed.

The Aussie got that part of its name because is was originally bred from Blue Heeler-type dogs that came to the USA from Australia. Blue Heelers are an Australian Cattle Dog. These Blue Heeler-type dogs accompanied masses of sheep which were imported from Australia to the western & northwestern USA in the late 1800s & early 1900s. They called them 'little blue dogs'.
    The ranchers recognized these dogs great working ability & selectively bred from them & introduced other working breeds into the line. And so they developed the beautiful & clever Australian Shepherd working dog.
    There's a book about the breed by Jeanne-Joy Hartnagle. It's called 'All About Aussies: The Australian Shepherd A-Z'.
    Websites with info are http://www.asca.org (Gen. info) http://www.australianshepherds.org (US Aussie Association home page)

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Angels3 ]

I meant to mention that but I guess I forgot. Aussies are not from Australia (as Anegls3 said). Some people think they are from the good ol' U.S. of A., but some think they are from Spain. I don't know. I did not know that Aussies had blue heeler (AUstralian cattledog) in them, my dad mentioned something about it but it just went through one ear and out the other. Now it feels like my Aussie and my blue heeler are somewhat related. Its kind of cool.

Yes, BandiTank, it looks like Aussies & Blue Heelers are very, very distant relatives. You've probably noticed that some of the breed behaviours are similar. This is what an Australian article about Aussies says:
    "Despite its name, Australia can't lay claim to the development of this breed. It was the ranchers & farmers of the USA that set up a breeding program to create the dogs we know today. In fact, the Australian Shepherd is the only livestock working breed to be developed in America."
    The numbers of Australian Shepherds in Australia is still small...only 220 are registered with our Canine Councils. But there are huge numbers of Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue & Red Heelers) which were developed here from those 'small blue dogs' which were also sent to the USA with sheep in the late 1800s. Blue Heelers are our national dog . Another Australian-developed working dog is the Kelpie...beautiful dogs! Also short-haired Border Collies are used extensvely as sheepdogs. The long-haired Border Collies are pets or showdogs.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Angels3 ]

I've just discovered that another Australian working dog was taken to the USA with the import of cattle & sheep from Australia, many years ago. It's the Kelpie but it has not been developed into another breed in the US (like the Aussie has been).
    Kelpies in the US have their own site & you can read about them at http://www.kelpiesinc.com/WKworkingkelpie.htm
    If you click on Colours & Descriptions, you will see Kelpies that are still the same as those in Australia where they originally came from.

Aussies, as I've seen in my agility classes, are great agility dogs! If someone afforded my a free one, I'd certainly take one!

They're very obedient and agile. Although they're energy I've heard can be almost like a Border Collie's! I'm not sure I want THAT much energy.
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

Thanks everybody!!! ShepherdLover- Speaking of Agility, do you know any Dog Agility web sites? Thanks!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)