Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm's & Starr's Holistic Vet Visit:Update Starr's 2nd Holistic Visit 8-23-07

Storm's & Starr's Holistic Vet Visit:Update Starr's 2nd Holistic Visit 8-23-07

Hi, today was finally the day for Storm and Starr to go see a holistic vet. She works in 4 different locations and today she was working out of a house which wasn't too far away from me. She's a very nice lady and also has 6 cats of her own.

She told me to put the carriers on the floor and to unzip them so that the cats would be free to roam around. Storm eventually got out and was sniffing around and meowing. Starr just stayed in his carrier and was scared. Starr had also had a peeing accident on the way over. Luckily I always put the puppy training pads on the bottom of the carriers.

We talked about Storm first and he was there for his aggressive behavior. She told me that usually uneutered males will try fighting for alpha status when they are 2-3 years old and neutered males when they are 5-7 years old. Sunny will be 7 this month and he's the one who's been trying to take Storm's alpha status away from him.

She felt Storm and noticed that he felt very tense which can be caused by a lot of stress. She gave me some Calm Spirit Tea Pills to give him 2 times a day. I should hopefully notice an improvement in about 2 weeks or so. They're about the size of a pea and I can put them in pill pockets which Storm loves. If they work then I can buy a much larger bottle so it'll be less expensive. This bottle of 200 pills cost me $15 plus tax. He won't become immune to them either so this is a big plus. She wants to see him in 1 month. Depending on how he doing, she may also give him an accupunture treatment to help relieve his stress.

She also said that I need to pick which cat that I want to become the alpha cat. Then I need to always greet them first, pet them first, feed them first, and spend some one on one time with them first. I also need to spend some one on one time with all of my cats every day. I want Storm to continue to be the alpha cat since he's my first cat and the oldest. Right now I have to feed Starr first since I put him back in my bedroom and then I feed Storm next out in the main room. I'll see how all of this goes.

Then we talked about Starr and how he's been sick his whole life. I took him out and she listened to his heart, took his pulse, and felt his tummy area. She said that his tummy area felt pretty good so the pred is helping to keep his inflammation down. Next she put some dry accupunture needles in him and then put him back in his carrier. She had already removed his pee pad and put in a clean towel. We talked a lot more and later Starr was so relaxed and calm that he rolled over and started acting goofy like he does with me at home. He even started purring and making biscuits. I've never seen him so relaxed in front of a stranger or in a strange place before. The accupunture needles are to help reduce inflammation of his intestional system and to help relieve stress.

She wants to see Starr in 2 weeks and he'll probably receive another accupunture treatment. He's also on 3 types of herbal supplements. One is called GI Encap and it's 60 pills which can be pulled open and the powder can be mixed with water or food and it's $15plus tax. The next one is Primal Defense Powder and this can also be mixed with water or food and it's 81 grams and cost $55plus tax. It's a probiotic formula. These two are very important for me to give him one pill and one scoop daily. I can give it to him all at once or split the dose up over the day.

The third one is called Feline Basic Nutrients and it's basically vitamins. It's 60 pills for $15 plus tax and I give him 1 a day. I can also pull the pill apart and mix the powder in water or food. It's not as important as the first 2 so if he won't take it then I can start giving it to him later on. I should hopefully notice an improvement in 7-10 days. I'll still continue giving him the pred but will later be weaning him off of this. I'll also stop the pepcid ac. She said that later on he'll only need the Primal Defense Powder daily and then I should be able to give it to him less often and hopefully taper him off of it completely.

Another thing is that Starr needs a grain free diet. Right now he's on one which is Innova Evo and she said I could keep him on this and he should improve again with these extra supplements. I can also look into other grain free dry and wet foods and raw diet powders and foods as well. She feeds her cat's raw diets but some of them don't like certain ones.

I can also start feeding Storm these diets too. She said that the grain free diets are great for helping to prevent the formation of crystals. He was on Innova before and developed crystals but he was on the regular canned and lite dry formula which isn't grain free. I told her that Storm seems to be allergic to fish and will become itchy and lose the fur on his ears and this is why I'm scared to feed him Innova Evo. She said that we can address this later if this happens to him again. He may have some sort of nutritional imbalance.

I'm sorry for rambling on so much but I had such a great experience today that I wanted to share this with you. I'll continue to keep you updated about both Starr and Storm. My curent vet was right when she said that this doctor is worth the wait. Thanks for reading this.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 08-23-2007 at 11:59 PM.

WOW, that sounds great! Would be great to have a couple of furbabes off steroids and stuff!

Goofy Starr - you liked the nice doctor, hey?

I hope they do well!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Wow is right. Sounds like she gave you a lot of good info on how to help the alpha male issue. Glad it was such a good visit. Sounds kind of amazing about Starr relaxing so much.

I hope her diet suggestions do the trick and I'm anxious to hear how the supplements work.

From Decker with Love

This sounds really hopeful. Glad to hear that things seem to be going better.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I have a holistic vet my crew goes to on occasion and she's awesome.
    They are pricey but well worth in my opinion. Keegan had torn one or both of her ACL's and with her help she recovered without surgery.
    I hope your life with your cats starts to get better!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm glad the holistic vet was able to give you some remedies and answers. I hope that they work out really well!!

Thanks everyone. So far so good. Storm thought he was getting a special treat tonight and I was able to put Starr's supplements in his wet food. He ate it without any problems. I hope that they'll both continue to take these without any problems.

WOW! I sure hope everything works out with the new suppliments etc.

This sound all sounds very hopeful for Storm and Starr. I really hope that these things help them.

Very interesting Tracey! I sure hope this is the answer and all works out well. Keep us posted.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Things are looking up for Storm and Starr!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Oh wow, thanks for sharing. This stuff is right up my alley, so I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions.

I work with a veterinarian who practices Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine along with Western modalities. I think she identifies herself as a complementary practitioner, as opposed to purely holistic or alternative. So similar, but different.

What do you mean by "dry" acupuncture needles? I feel like I should be able to figure out the implication....but I'm not sure I've heard this term.
    If you don't mind me asking, who was the manufacturer of the various herbals? We mainly use products from 2 companies and I'm interested to learn about the others ones out there.
    Also, do you know where she got her acupuncture training? Her herbal training? I realize this is not something you probably discussed, LOL, but maybe she has a website or something?
    Anyway, if you'd be more comfortable PMing me the answers to these questions, that'd be fine.

Sending lots of healthy vibes to your handsome boys! Herbs can be a bit hit-or-miss in my experience, but the fact that they are so much safer than Western drugs is a huge plus (ETA: This is not to say that the person doling them out does not need training or that they can't be dangerously misused).

Staci - OMG, Keegan too? I guess I didn't realize that she has hip *and* knee problems, just like a certain black and white boy I know! Alternative medicine and physical therapy got Kirkie walking again too...surgery-free. Waaay cool!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Quote Originally Posted by Kater

Staci - OMG, Keegan too? I guess I didn't realize that she has hip *and* knee problems, just like a certain black and white boy I know! Alternative medicine and physical therapy got Kirkie walking again too...surgery-free. Waaay cool!
    well she wouldn't have if the klutz wasn't just that - a klutz!!
    she was laying in my bathroom and when she stood up her back paw slipped off the rug resulting in injury - the doc didn't want to crack the knee just in case it wasn't torn completely or ruptured - with her hip issues he didn't want to ruin it -
    so off to the our holistic vet we went and then after we got it allllll healed up - she was flying out of my car after a tennis ball at a park and I think she must have slightly torn the other one or deeply bruised it -
    our holistic vet said that she has issues b/c she is so in tune with me that she felt my pain b/c of my broken foot and my ankle injury from a car accident - so I had to tell her she had to STOP hurting herself b/c with her hips - if she continued she may have had to be PTS....
    sorry to hijack -
    thanks to Starr and Storm for allowing me to blurb a second about a
    shhhh d-o-g~~~
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Wow- that was interesting. The behavior reminds me of Filou's visit with the homeopathic vet. Filou went everywhere and was as curious and relaxed as he is in his best moments home. While I am not completely sure what I think of all the holistisc or homeopathic medication I certainly am impressed by the doctors.
    Hope it works very well for Storm and Starr.

This sounds very good, Tracey. That vet seems to know what she's doing. I hope they'll continue to eat their supplements and feel better!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.