Thread: Cockers ~ Skin growths

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Cockers ~ Skin growths

There is a lady over at iMOM that is looking for information to help her Cocker (Dusty). She is not a member of this board, so if you have any experience with this, please post over there. The link to her message is: http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/com...showtopic=3186

I've copied her message below. If you have any information to help Dusty, please share with her. She's not raising funds for treatment or anything, she's just trying to educate herself as to how she can help Dusty.

She lives in Minden, NV. About 20 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

Thank you!

I need to take my cocker spaniel in for growths all over his body (I mean all over)! But some of them are really big and bleeding all the time. The thing is all the other ones are growing by the day also. I don't know if any one else has problems like this with their cockers? What is it from and is it actually treatable? I am so scared that it is going to be sooo expensive to get them taken off because there are so many of them. I really just noticed them because it has gotten so hot here that I had to shave him pretty short and that is when all of them showed up. I didn't notice the one on his tail because I thought it was his tail, but it is actually a growth that is on the tail. Sorry, I am just rambling, I just dont know what to do, just looking for a place that will take at least payments. Why don't vets take payments?!! I just wanted to get some information before I take him in a couple days! Thanks for any information.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The link would not work for me. Perhaps you have to be registered...

Are the growths "warty" like? Our RB cocker developed these as she aged. The good news is the only problem it presents is in aesthetics and is contagious only to that dog, the bad news is, the warts "grow" off of each other.

The treatment for our dog was 'easy' (although she did have to go under); the "warts" were frozen off, much like you'd have a dermotologist remove one from you. This proved to be ineffective as more just popped up elsewhere. The good news is that they were NOT cancerous!

Our cocker also had allergies, so when she scratched and accidentally hit a "wart," it would cause it to bled.

My vet said these "warts" happen alot in PB cockers and poodles.

Hope this helps to ease Dusty's Mom's mind until she can get her checked out by the vet.

Tonya is right. I see growths like that ALL the time on older dogs at work, they are extremely common on cockers. The ones I am referring to are pinkish in color and they do bleed sometimes. RB Smokey (poodle) and RB Reggie (schnauzer) had them too. Smokey had a ton of them, the vet cut them off and they just grew right back. I would recommend she have a vet take a look at them to confirm they are the "warts" and not some other growth.

Just a thought (thanks Amy for making me think of this! )....

If Dusty's recently been groomed, is it possible that the groomer (not knowing/not seeing these) nicked the "warts" and *that* is why they were bleeding?

Bichons are prone to "old lady warts," as well. Sugar has a lot, all of which have appeared since she arrived here Dec 9, 2006.

Sugar also has one lump which did not have the cauliflower look to it. Sometimes I would hit it with the slicker brush during grooming and it would bleed. Otherwise, it was just "there," and growing at a faster rate than the other stuff. Both my vet and I could tell that this lump looked different to the "warts." My vet knew the others are "warts" right off the bat and did not suggest any treatment unless one appears to bother her.

So today when I went in to the vet with Lacey and Crystal, I took Sugar along and asked them to look at the lump. They did a cystology, aspiration with a needle. The cells are dividing rapidly. We will have it removed, the soonest they can do that is Aug 10th. Then it will go to the pathology lab to see if it is benign (please pray that it is!) or malignant.

Here is a little info I located when I did a google search:

There are many different kinds of skin tumors, some are serious but most are benign. Most skin growths are likely to be either skin papillomas (i.e. warts) or sebaceous gland adenomas. Skin papillomas are common in dogs but rare in cats. Their cause is unknown, although a viral infection appears to be involved in some cases. These growths can appear as solitary or multiple lumps and characteristically have a cauliflower-like surface. There is no way to prevent them from occurring.

Warts can appear anywhere on the body, especially as pets get older, but they cause few problems and are benign. In those cases where a wart causes a problem (e.g .the pet licks it excessively or it becomes infected), it can be removed surgically without difficulty. Usually, warts are left alone.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Yes, I think you do have to register to view the link. Sorry about that. I will see if Dusty's Mom wants to join here so that she can read your replies.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Feel free to cut/paste my response to her, if you'd like.

My older dog Scruffy has a lot of these also. He will sometimes scratch them and they will bleed. The vet and I keep an eye on them but they don't seem to be growing very fast. If they do, I'll certainly have the vet check on them.

These warts can be white, pink or gray. Not really anything to worry about in general. Do verify this with a vet, however. Possibly an oral medication can help.

Skin Growths on Cockers

I have a 12-year-old female Cocker Spaniel who also has growths all over her body. I have had some removed (in conjunction with other surgery) but the vet says they are harmless and not to worry about it. I want to do something because I know they bother her as she will scratch until they start bleeding. They are viral papillomas. One source indicated that they are caused by a compromised immune system and that Silver Colloidal would help boost the immune system. I have not talked to my vet yet about that but I am thinking about contacting a homeopathic veterinarian for another opinion. I would be interested if anyone else has found a remedy. I have her groomed every six weeks and in between bathe her myself using a medicated shampoo, but that has had no bearing on the warts going away. If it is viral, it seems to me that something sould help it. Any suggestions by others out there having the same concern??