Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2 cent opinion on "Pet Food" *Edit*

My 2 cent opinion on "Pet Food" *Edit*

Sorry for the last minute delay it's all fix typo free. Dogs should not have to suffer with cancer When the last time did your grandparents died from Liver Cancer?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is our 2 cents about this whole ordeal. It's not a joke!

Dogs were not born to eat (peanut hull, by product, corn, sugar, preservatives, BHT, menadione bisulfate etc) the list goes on AND ON. Look at WILD WOLVES, genetically, scientists have PROVEN that they are the SAME animal as the animal sacking out on your sofa each night while you watch the tube. What do wolves eat? THAT is the kind of nutritious ingredients that our dogs thrive on, whether it be from a superb dry kibble or if you decide to home-make your pets meals or feed them RAW. When "we" were babies we were born to drink milk, not to drink candy, not formula filled with dyed and artificial products! I'm trying my darn hardest here to educate people about pet food and want better for their family members. To hopefully change their pet's life style and quality of life because they love them THAT much and it's WORTH it!

I think people have forgotten all about the "recall" from china where they have found vomitoxin, which killed millions of dogs & cats. If I'm not mistaken, I have also read about Solid Gold pet food where a woman was arrested for injecting meds that treat diseases into the foods in 1988.

The common diseases & illness millions of cats & dogs die from are
    Kidney Cancer
    Bladder Cancer
    Skin Cancer
    Stomach Cancer
    Spleen Cancer
    Leukemia
    Liver Dysfunction
    Major Organ Failure
    Immune System Collapse
    Severe Allergic Reactions
    Birth Defects
    Blindness
    Chronic Diarrhea
    Hair Loss
    and so on..

There are so many excuses that I'm tired of hearing! Some people are very stubborn and feel that their pets do fine, and live up to 15 years on commercial CRAP food. That's great but that's 1 out of 5. The retail chainstore bought brands (Wal-Mart, local grocery stores, K-Mart, etc) are filled with preservatives, non-specific ingredients, ingredient names that are code for other harmful ingredients that AAFCO allows them to camouflage as 'safe' ingredients & most if not all of the meats are really MEAL (meaning the non-edible parts, heads, feet, feathers etc) and are filled with chemicals. Not the top cuts that would be on your dinner table, but the 2 day old spoils, or the organs and such that people do not consume, commercial dog food companies use all of the 'leftovers' that you or I would throw down the garbage disposal! Not to mention, a lot of the 'top name brands' do horrifying and very UNNECESSARY testing on animals (IAMS and EUKANUBA to name a couple of the biggest). They take hundreds of dogs and cats and perform their experiments, creating much discomfort, agony and suffering for them, just to euthanize all that don't die of the study at the end anyway. They specifically have breeders for this purpose. To create life to torture it to death and kill them all prematurely when the 'test' is done... Personally, MY money could NOT support any of that... Proctor & Gamble are just as guilty with their products!

Guess where all of those cats & dogs go after being euthanized? They are being produced in pet food! How disgusting is that?

I'm so grateful & thankful for better value dog food that's out there. They are sometimes hard to find, but now tables are turning and more pet and feedstores are selling healthier pet foods, with human grade ingredients. The same beef, chicken, lamb, fish or pork you would be proud to serve on your dinner table. The foods any loved MEMBER of your family DESERVES!

It's just not funny. When we shrug it off of our shoulders & think it's cute that dogs are eating sugar, chemicals and so on. We are actually doing such a disservice to the companion animals we claim to love and want the best for... So prove it by feeding your dogs the BEST you can get for them! Many dogs have choked on cooked bones, twigs or even had blockages stuck in their intestine due to the undigestable matter in most 'commercial complete nutrition' formulas of dog food... Then people wonder, "why my dog has health issues..." Well there you go!

People need to wake up.

Misty now has AIHA b/c of the poor nutrition she had as a puppy & was from a BYB breeder; which means, it is probably partly due to genetics as well. My eldest dog died b/c we were too dumb and we fed her greasy foods, table scraps, and she gained so much weight she couldn't lose any of it for longest time... Then she was on Science Diet. MS are also very prone to pancreatitis, from eating too much fat, and it can kill them THAT quick! Pig ears for example, SHOULD never be given to a MS... It could be their treat to a death sentence. We were just like everybody else and used the same old excuses & sayings in denial etc

She died of cancer at 13 years old. Why did she have to suffer that kind of death and go through it? It was OUR responsibility to take better care of her nutrition and we failed, that will not happen again to ANY of our beloved family members.

I'm so over this right now I can just puke & shame on the people who don't want to see the TRUE outlook about their dog's life style. Doesn't your dog mean enough to you to want to do the BEST for them? Come on people!

Show your dogs how much they really mean to you... Do some research, find what's better, they deserve the best and they depend on YOU to provide that for them! We all take on that responsibility with EVERY pet we bring into our family. Now prove you are capable of delivering on that responsibility and provide your pet with the best that money can buy!

By
    Jennifer R.

Edited and revised by
    Jennifer Frutos
    [email protected]
    (Magisch Miniature Schnauzers)
    Last edited by MS_PAWS; 08-08-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

Interesting. Some dogs do just fine on grocery store food. One vegan fed dog even lived up to 27+ years. Dogs weren't meant to eat celery, grains, soybeans, etc. But this particular dog lived darn near twice his life expectancy eating just that. The golden food rule: Feed your dog whatever works for you. If it's Pedigree, fine. If it's raw, great. If it's homecooked, kudos to you.

I'm glad that you are conscientious enough to feed your dogs a good food, but the plain old fact is that it doesn't matter what you feed your dog as long as it works for your dog. Plus, most diseases have strong genetic components. For example, greyhounds are incredibly susceptible to osteosarcoma. It has nothing to do with diet. Also, I've never heard of dogs dying from hair loss =P We can all point fingers at diet in certain cases, but there's no need to "shame" other people when they choose to feed something we'd rather not.

I thought the recall toxin was "melamine", too...

The common disease & illness millions of cats & dogs die from are
    Kidney Cancer
    Bladder Cancer
    Skin Cancer
    Stomach Cancer
    Spleen Cancer
    Leukemia
    Liver Dysfunction
    Marjor Organ Failure
    Immune System Collapse
    Birth Defects
    Blindness
    Chronic Diarrhea
    Hair Loss
    so on..
    and you have solid proof all of these are directly linked to bad food??? I think not!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I think people have forgotten all about the "Recall" from china they have found vomitoxin which killed millions of dogs & cats.
    Wrong chemical, it wasn't millions of animals, and I've never heard of any animal dying from hair loss or blindness.

Hence my irritation with this topic. If you can't give scientific proof backed by studies, just use hyperbole. After all, if it's on the internet it's true, right?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Why did you make ANOTHER thread about this when you already had one? Now that's just getting silly. I can understand making a new thread ONCE to talk about something with the people currently involved on the board, but there was no reason to make another. Since it's a repeat thread it's only worth half a cent, IMO.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Vela:
    I made another thread b/c it was little different etc

Lady's Human & Giselle
    I want people to wake up, why are dogs die from illness as they get older? Do you ever question youself?

Well you can't die from blindness & hairloss. Some things in dog food cause that other half is the genes

I don't exactly remember what it was that someone in china add that into pet food! My mistake

Your dog is damn lucky to live up 27 yrs. Most smaller dogs live longer then bigger dogs that's just by nature.

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

Why do dogs die from illness as they get older?

Ummm.......maybe because of the aging process?

Yes, I question myself constantly, and don't form opinions until they are well supported by fact. Facts don't come from people posting ideas on the internet about what they think might be the possible causes of something.

Facts come from properly conducted scientific study.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

AIHA is not caused by diet -- while they don't know the exact cuase, it is a genetic disease and has been known to start after vaccinations. I own a breed in which AIHA/IMHA is relatively common, and I've done a great deal of research on it, and can look at a Belgian pedigree and tell you exactly where it came from. Diet is a huge component of autoimmune issues, but not ones that can't be cured. AIHA/IMHA is a terminal disease. My co-breeder fed raw for years and her first Belgian died at age 6 of AIHA/IMHA. Two of her sistersd also died of it, and her brother died of leukemia. It's in the genetics, not the diet.

There are plenty of reasonable excuses to feed kibble. I feed half and half. With two dogs, want to know how much kibble I've gone through since July 12th? I've gone through 135 pounds of kibble, for TWO DOGS, feeding HALF RAW at the same time, in THREE weeks! That is how much food my dogs eat. When I fed only raw, I was spending $4-500 a month. In my area you can't just get everything in bulk. Feeding raw is very expensive here. I would do it if I could, but for now, the only dogs here that get a completely raw diet are pregnant bitches. Otherwise we do half and half, and it works much better for me. My dogs are working dogs, they get a great deal of exercise, and my one is emactiated as it is. Kibble offers alot more calories and fat than raw does. They rely on that as well as nutritional supplements to keep up their weight. Muscle is no problem on these guys. Fat is. 100% raw just doesn't cut it and doesn't give them all the energy they need to go go go.

Sure, I don't like seeing people feed low quality foods, but I don't blame people when they can't afford it, are too busy to prepare it, have to drive too far to get it, etc. I try to enourage people to feed raw and high quality kibbles. I warn people about poor ingredients in kibbles and which kibbles are generally best to try. And I've helped alot of people and alot of dogs. We've had plenty of dogs come into the grooming shop I work at with stringy pads, hot spots, etc, and I told the owners where to go and what to buy; They did so, and they have new dogs. Sometimes a new kibble can fix a problem too.

Yes, a raw food diet is my favourite diet for a dog. It is for alot of people. It doesn't mean they have the resources to do it.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by MS_PAWS
    Lady's Human & Giselle
    I want people to wake up, why are dogs die from illness as they get older? Do you ever question youself?

Well you can't die from blindness & hairloss. Some things in dog food cause that other half is the genes

I don't exactly remember what it was that someone in china add that into pet food! My mistake

Your dog is damn lucky to live up 27 yrs. Most smaller dogs live longer then bigger dogs that's just by nature.
    It's not my dog. It's a vegan Collie: http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0209...es/020918a.htm

I think you missed the point. Your claim is that dogs fed poor quality kibble shouldn't even be fed that stuff because it's not "natural". A vegetarian diet is not natural. Yet, the dog above clearly lived to a phenomenal age eating an entirely unnatural diet.

Diseases, illnesses, and rapid aging are not 1/2 diet related and 1/2 genetics. If so, I would *love* to see the scientific research on that. Point is, diet is important, but there's absolutely no valid reason to "shame" others for feeding what they feed. We can make suggestions, but if the food works for their dog, who are we to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by MS_PAWS
    Here is my 2 cent about this whole ordeal. It's not a joke!

Dogs were not born to eat (peanut hill, by product, corn, sugar, preservatives, BHT) the list goes on. When "we" were babies we were born to drink milk, not candy, not filled with dyed produces! I'm trying my damn hardest to educate people about pet food to change their pet's life style!

I think people have forgotten all about the "Recall" from china they have found vomitoxin which killed millions of dogs & cats. If I'm not mistaken I have read about Solid Gold pet food a woman was arrest for injunction meds that treat disease in the food in 1988.

The common disease & illness millions of cats & dogs die from are
    Kidney Cancer
    Bladder Cancer
    Skin Cancer
    Stomach Cancer
    Spleen Cancer
    Leukemia
    Liver Dysfunction
    Marjor Organ Failure
    Immune System Collapse
    Birth Defects
    Blindness
    Chronic Diarrhea
    Hair Loss
    so on..

Theirs so many excues that I'm tired of hearing! Some ppl are very stubborn and feel that their pets do fine, and live up to 15 years that's great but that's 1 out of 5. The store brought brands that are filled with preservatives, non-specific supplies & meat are filled with chemicals.

Guess where all of those cats & dogs go after being euthanized? They are being produce in pet food! How disgusting is that?

I'm so grateful & thankful for better valuable dog food out there that are hard to find but now things has turn tables that are selling in healthy department etc

It's just not funny. When we shurg it off our shoulders & think it's cute that dogs eatting sugar, twings and fast food crap so on. Many dogs have choke on cook bones, twings or even stuck in their intestine then wonder why "my dog has health issuse" well there you go!

People need to wake up

Misty now has AIHA b/c of poor nurtitious she had as a puppy & was from a BYB breeder, my eldest dog died b/c we were too dumb to feed her grease food, table scarpe food, she gain so much weight for longest time she couldn't loose any of it. Then she was on Science Diet, we were just like everybody else and using that same ol excuses & saying etc

She died of cancer at 13 years old. Why did she had to suffer that kind of death and went though it?

I'm so over this right now I can just pruke & shame on the people who don't want to see the outlook about dog's life style.
    I can't take advice seriously from someone using such glaring spelling and grammar mistakes. Sorry.

"a woman was arrest for injunction meds that treat disease"
    "Marjor Organ Failure"
    "Theirs so many excues"
    "being produce in pet food"
    "but now things has turn tables"
    "we shurg it off"
    "that dogs eatting sugar"
    "Many dogs have choke on, twings or even stuck in their intestine"
    "of poor nurtitious"
    "we were too dumb to feed her grease food, table scarpe food, she gain so much weight"
    "I can just pruke"

While it's obvious you feel very emotional about this subject, it would be more effective if you proof read before posting, and include links to studies done to back up your claims, if you desire to influence people.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have also read about Solid Gold pet food where a woman was arrested for injecting meds that treat diseases into the foods in 1988.

Sort of reminds me in an odd way of a story back in the 60s about a family hamburger joint in Cincinnati. The patrons just raved about the hamburgers being served. It was the juiciest and tastiest hamburgers they had ever eaten. Later the city health inspector closed them down. Seems part of that delicious hamburger was canned Horse meat. The point: By your logic one would have to conclude that Mc Donald hamburgers were also made out of horse meat. After all if one hamburger operation in the world did it, they must all be doing it. Or if it occurred in one dog food then it must be a danger for all. Guilt by association.

Guess where all of those cats & dogs go after being euthanized? They are being produced in pet food! How disgusting is that?

You do realize AAFCO regulations allow only by-products of human food processing to be in pet food? If so then applying logic, we arrive at the conclusion euthanized cats and dogs are in the human food supply chain.

Kidney Cancer
    Bladder Cancer
    Skin Cancer
    Stomach Cancer
    Spleen Cancer
    Leukemia

Well I'll give you credit for 1 out of 6. Leukemia is a cancer. The phrase skin cancer means nothing as that could be basal cell, melanoma, etc. Here's a hint for you on canine cancer: Genetics! If you have a Golden Retriever you could feed it rib eye steak, caviar, or any other human food you wanted. The chances are extremely high that by the age of 10 it will have hemangiosarcoma or lymphoma. Neither will feeding it the latest and greatest fad diet have any outcome on the course of the cancer.

If you can provide any links in scientific journals that show a strong connection between commercial dog food (even the crappy brands) and canine cancer then do post them. Note the words scientific journals. That leaves out sites trying to scare sell the latest dog food fads, or some testimonial by someone on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    If you have a Golden Retriever you could feed it rib eye steak, caviar, or any other human food you wanted. The chances are extremely high that by the age of 10 it will have hemangiosarcoma or lymphoma.
    Wow! That is quite an assumption, I'd love to see links to some "scientific journals" where you found this information out!

As im sure you know, before commericial dog foods came along, dogs ate what we ate.. including raw meat diets. Dog foods have only been around since the 40's.. Do you really think its "just a coincidence" that there has been an increase in certain diseases ever since. Do you think its "just a coincidence" that dogs are suffering from diabetes, dental problems, and yes cancer, now more than ever. Infact 50 or so years ago..canine cancer was a rare thing.

Also..dog food fads? Explain to me what that is exactly?.. seems to me if anything, commericial dog foods are the fad diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Danegirl2208
    Wow! That is quite an assumption, I'd love to see links to some "scientific journals" where you found this information out!

As im sure you know, before commericial dog foods came along, dogs ate what we ate.. including raw meat diets. Dog foods have only been around since the 40's.. Do you really think its "just a coincidence" that there has been an increase in certain diseases ever since. Do you think its "just a coincidence" that dogs are suffering from diabetes, dental problems, and yes cancer, now more than ever. Infact 50 or so years ago..canine cancer was a rare thing.

Also..dog food fads? Explain to me what that is exactly?.. seems to me if anything, commericial dog foods are the fad diet.
    Researchers have also discovered that certain breeds of dogs are more susceptible to the disease than others. In a 2001 study at Penn’s veterinary hospital, 56 percent of all golden retrievers and 52 percent of all boxers who died there were found to have died from cancer.

Quick search

I suggest you contact the U.Penn to see if the study got published. Of course one must first accept that 56% equates to my phrase of "extremely high".

Eh what the heck a few more minutes of searching yields:

Cancer, the manifestation of uncontrolled cell growth, occurs as a result of genetic damage and/or changes in a cell. Such changes can be caused by innate genetic factors, as in the case of certain cancer-prone breeds like boxers, German shepherds, golden retrievers and Scottish terriers. In these breeds, oncogenes – genes that initiate the cancer process – have been inadvertently selected for over time.

and

Cancer is a significant disease in dogs, said Dr. Baez. Nearly one-quarter of all dogs, and 45 percent of dogs older than ten years of age, will die of cancer. The incidence of canine cancer appears to be on the rise, which could be partially accounted for by increased life span and better diagnostic methods.

Genetic link and incidence

I'll leave it to you to research and come up with links which indicate Lymphoma is the most prevalent cancer in dogs.

Dog foods have only been around since the 40's.. Do you really think its "just a coincidence" that there has been an increase in certain diseases ever since.
    Shall we try a little logic again? Given that the incidence of Lymphoma is high in Goldens, and is nearly non-existent in Pomeranians... then in order for your assertion there is a direct association between Lymphoma (cancer) and commercial dog food to hold, it would also be true that owners of Goldens are pre-ordained to feed exclusively commercial dog food, and owners of Pomeranians are pre-ordained not to feed commercial dog food. Seems a little too large of a leap of faith doesn't it? Yet there are definite genetic differences between the incidence of cancer in the breeds regardless of diet.

Do I think it's coincidence canine cancer is rising due to irresponsible breeding practices? Ya bet! Again diet is not a factor.

Also..dog food fads? Explain to me what that is exactly?.
    Gladly. A dog food fad is one where someone has figured out a new angle to play off the paranoia surrounding commercial dog food, and the expense of attempting to feed a balanced owner prepared dog diet in order to make a quick buck for themselves. They create an advertising site containing half truths, and present their product as more asthetically pleasing complete with testimonials. People buy it, until someone else comes up with something that sounds better. All the while the dog's biochemical pathways could care less whether that leucine amino acid came from corn or chicken.

I will repeat my previous assertion: If your dog enjoys eating Brand X dog food (be it Ole Roy, or Granny's Delight All Natural), has good energy levels for its age, and is pronounced healthy in its yearly check up at the Vet, then the dog should continue to be fed Brand X.

When I was younger it was the done thing to feed the animals table scraps, raw bones, the occasional raw meats and lights ( offal ie. lungs/ intestines etc) green tripe was a favorite. All of my dogs lived well into their teens and were full of life until their bodies finally just gave in to old age. Only when the habits changed and we started feeding manufactured foods did we suffer from our pets dying younger and them being affected by cancers and other problems.
    Example:
    1958- 1965 diet as described above, GSD lived to be 17, and 2 cocker spaniels lived to be 16.
    1966- 1987 diet of canned food medium sized Mix breed lived to be lived to be 14 and developed cancer. Poodle mix developed diabetes; heart murmur and eye problems lived to be 14.
    1988 – 2007 Lab, died at 12 after a life time on kibble, from cancer, small mix, developed epilepsy died at 8 fed kibble, JRT died at 10 from kidney failure, kibble diet. Roth and Bear are still youngish at 13 and both it is doubted will see out this year.
    So from my own experience I find myself asking was table scraps, raw bones and offal meats really such a bad diet?

Yes we live with cats visit www.aarrff.org

Fad: A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.
    domestic dogs have been around for thousands of years, commercial dog food has been around for less then 100 years. this, by definition, makes commercial dogfood the Fad.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils