Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 110 year sentence (or 10 for good behavior)

110 year sentence (or 10 for good behavior)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070805/...y_rape_slaying

Reading this story has almost made me physically ill. I know this stuff goes on, but reading about it hurts a LOT.

I'm so glad charges (and worse) are being brought against these... humans.

Because of the graphic nature I made this "invisible" Click and scroll to highlight the text or click on reply to read this.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070805/ap_on_re_us/army_rape_slaying

Soldier gets 110 years in rape-slay case

By RYAN LENZ, Associated Press Writer 37 minutes ago

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - A soldier convicted of rape and murder in an attack on an Iraqi teenager and her family was sentenced Saturday to 110 years in prison, with the possibility of parole after 10 years.

The sentence was part of a plea agreement attorneys for Pfc. Jesse Spielman had made with prosecutors that set the number of years he could serve in prison, regardless of the jury's recommendation.

The jury had recommended life with parole, a sentence under which he would have to wait longer for the possibility of freedom.

Spielman was convicted late Friday of rape, conspiracy to commit rape, housebreaking with intent to rape and four counts of felony murder.

Military prosecutors did not say Spielman took part in the rape or murders but alleged that he went to the house knowing what the others intended to do and served as a lookout.

In closing arguments, the military prosecutor, Maj. William Fischbach, said Spielman played a "bit part" but stressed he shared responsibility.

Spielman took the stand to petition jurors for leniency before he was sentenced.

"I don't really blame my chain of command. I don't really blame anybody," he said quietly. "I could have stopped it. I take responsibility for my actions."

Spielman, 23, of Chambersburg, Pa., received the longest sentence of four soldiers who have been convicted. Three other soldiers pleaded guilty under agreements with prosecutors for their roles in the assault and were given sentences ranging from five to 100 years.

Spielman's grandmother, Nancy Hess, collapsed outside the courtroom after the verdict was read; Fischbach ran to her side and called 911. Soldiers in Spielman's unit fanned the woman with napkins.

Spielman's sister, Paige Gerlach, screamed: "I hate the government. You people put him (in Iraq) and now, this happened."

Defense attorneys declined to comment after the sentencing hearing.

Spielman had pleaded guilty on Monday to lesser charges of conspiracy to obstructing justice, arson, wrongfully touching a corpse and drinking. The 110-year sentence encompasses those crimes, too.

The case stemmed from the March 12, 2006, rape and slaying of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, 14, and the killings of her parents and sister. The attack took place in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad.

Prosecutors rested their case Thursday amid struggles to overcome a fellow soldier's recanting of a story that Spielman acted as a lookout.

Spc. James Barker said in earlier testimony that he had allowed investigators to draft sworn statements for him that implicated Spielman.

Barker testified Wednesday that several portions of the document were untrue, including references to Spielman's role in the conspiracy to attack the family and his knowledge of plans to rape the girl.

But Sgt. Paul E. Cortez testified that Spielman stood guard. Cortez said Spielman was within a few feet of the others as they held down the screaming girl and did nothing to stop them.

Barker, Cortez and another soldier, Pfc. Bryan L. Howard, pleaded guilty for their roles.

Steven D. Green, who was discharged from the Army before being charged, faces a possible death sentence when he is tried in federal court in Kentucky. He has pleaded not guilty to charges that include murder and sexual assault.

Barker and Cortez gave investigators conflicting statements about whether Spielman knew of the plan to rape the girl and whether he was present when they discussed it over whiskey and gin, according to testimony.

During their courts-martial, Barker and Cortez testified they took turns raping the girl while Green shot and killed her mother, father and younger sister. Green shot the girl in the head after raping her, they said.

The girl's body was set on fire with kerosene to destroy the evidence, according to previous testimony.

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by crow_noir; 08-05-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fix mistake and a typo.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

That is shameful. I don't care if he only had a "bit part", I hope he never sees freedom again.

And the nerve of his sister blaming the government sending him there.

Sickening.

This statement irks me:
    Spielman's sister, Paige Gerlach, screamed: "I hate the government. You people put him (in Iraq) and now, this happened."

-------------------

I'm sure he had to join the army first. I think before joining he very well knew he could go to war at anytime. And now WHAT happened?? Your brother was being a sickening bastard? Those are his OWN action's not the governments.

By no means do I "love" this government myself either but that statement just bothers me so much.

Nowhere does it say 5 yrs for good behavior.Where did you get that?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yeah I didn't see "5 years for good behavior", it just said other soldiers were given sentences ranging from 5 - 100 years, but he got the longest.

His sister's comment is what ticks me off the most. Last I checked, he had to WILLINGLY join the army (and there hasn't been a draft since... anybody? anybody? Vietnam...), and seeing his age, probably knew his chance of going to Iraq was very high when he signed up. So how is the government to blame for that? And furthermore, how is the government to blame for him raping and killing innocent people?! He made those choices!

facebook

Unfortunately after many many many stories like this I don't like any soldiers at all. I hate having to watch on the news when they have welcome back parties for soldiers. Since there is no draft, I naturally assume people who willing take part in the army can be classed together. I know not everybody is the same, but its going to take a lot to get me to trust anybody who supports soldiers or was one for this war.
    Last edited by IRescue452; 08-05-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

As a retired soldier, thank you for your support.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Scum?

The military found out about the crime, tried the perps, convicted and sentenced them.

Scum?

We have helped in disasters globally.

Scum?

We did the majority of the work in the immediate post Katrina effort.

Scum?

WE DEFEND YOU!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

There are bad apples in EVERY profession on the face of the earth. Doctors, Lawyers, musicians, artists, police, firemen, ad infinitum.

The US military is a cross section of society. As such the occasional bad apple gets through the screening, training and eval.

Unlike most militaries on the face of the earth, the US military prosecutes our bad apples and we get rid of them.

DO NOT! cast aspersions on the entire military because of the actions of one or two idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    There are bad apples in EVERY profession on the face of the earth. Doctors, Lawyers, musicians, artists, police, firemen, ad infinitum.

The US military is a cross section of society. As such the occasional bad apple gets through the screening, training and eval.

Unlike most militaries on the face of the earth, the US military prosecutes our bad apples and we get rid of them.

DO NOT! cast aspersions on the entire military because of the actions of one or two idiots.
    Thank you!

IRescue, I am by no means supportive of the war in Iraq, or any recent conflict which America has entered, but I find your comments offensive. Not every person who joins the army goes into it thinking "yeehaw, I am gonna shoot me some Ay-rab ass" and to even assume that is close minded.

Two of my best friends in the entire world are in the military. One is currently active in Iraq.

Both my sister-in-law and her husband are in the coast guard.

My father-in-law is a retired Green Beret.

None of them are "low-life scum" as you seem to believe.

NONE of them would EVER do the things the few idiots that this article talks about did.

Never ever make assumptions based off of one or two idiots.

I'm not going to lie..... what you said actually offends me and, in a way, hurt me that you would think such wonderful people such as my friends and family would be classified as "low-life scum" with idiots such as the guys in the article.

But, I'm sorry our opinions differ.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human

Scum?
    We have helped in disasters globally.
    We did the majority of the work in the immediate post Katrina effort.
    Scum?
    WE DEFEND YOU!

Rest easy, Sarge ~~~ Job WELL Done!

And you Military Types have earned the Nation's Gratitude!!

IGNORE IR452 ... or as my Dad said: "Consider the Source!"
    452's "opinion" is NOT shared by many.

I will always have trouble trusting this category of people. At least I admit its wrong to make blanket assumptions. Everybody has different experiences in life that shape their attitudes towards people and even inanimate objects. You've got good experiences with soldiers and have good thoughts about the American way of "defending" its people from real or imagined threats- great. I've had more bad experiences than good with these people and their practices- great also. This means we are a balanced social group.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I will always have trouble trusting this category of people. At least I admit its wrong to make blanket assumptions. Everybody has different experiences in life that shape their attitudes towards people and even inanimate objects. You've got good experiences with soldiers and have good thoughts about the American way of "defending" its people from real or imagined threats- great. I've had more bad experiences than good with these people and their practices- great also. This means we are a balanced social group.
    So you're saying, based on my experiences, I can say that all african-americans are sucking our nation dry and are no-good, lazy scumbags?

OF COURSE I know that isn't true!! But just because I've had a few experiences with people like that, it still gives me NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to categorize them all together!

I KNOW there are "bad apples" in the military, clearly! But we need to realize that not everyone is like that! And to not even have an open mind about it... well, its racist without being racist. That's the only term I can think of off the top of my head.

You are entitled to your opinion, and as I said earlier, I'm sorry ours' differ. But in this rare case this is one opinion I just can't respect.

facebook

What "category" of people????????

There is no "normal" soldier.

There is no "normal" Marine

There in no "normal" airman

there is no "normal" sailor

there is no "normal" coastie

You offend the hell out of me.

Take your 60's hippie crap elsewhere.