Thread: Eating A LOT of grass????

Eating A LOT of grass????

So I need some advice. Sadie, my 2 1/2 year old beagle / lab mix has been eating a lot of grass the last few days... on a normal basis, she may do some minor grazing, but nothing like this... she goes outside and eats and eats and eats grass, she has to be told to stop. Any ideas??? She is eating her kibble without a problem, drinking water normally, going potty normally and plays like she always does, so no physically changes are noticed... just not sure what to make of the amount of grazing she's been doing?? Help!!!

Does she puke it back up? Kia eats a lot of grass sometimes to enduce vomiting when she has an upset tummy.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Unless she is puking and then *gross* eating it before we know about it, I haven't seen her. So honestly, no, don't think she is puking...

Yup, grass is usually eaten to induce puking. If she's continuing to eat it and isn't puking, i suggest not feeding her for about 24 hours to give her stomach a break. If she still eats some grass, that should be fine but try not to let her have too much during those 24 hours.

If you have it on hand a weak cup of mint/chamomile tea with honey wouldn't hurt if she'll drink it. (I haven't had a dog yet that refused this when they had an upset tummy. Who knows... maybe i just get the weird ones. )

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I'll try that... thanks Crow!!

Our dogs always enjoyed grass and rarely do they eat it in order to induce vomiting. Some dogs just like grass so it is a possibility that this is all it boils down to. I've read in places that some dogs are just natural grazers.

It's worth trying other things if your dog doesn't normally eat as much as she is doing the last few days but it's most likely nothing to worry about being as she is otherwise fine.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

yes, it's usually to induce vomiting. my black lab mix and my rottie mix eat grass a lot. they just like to. we have a hound at the shelter where I volunteer and all she will do when we take her outside is eat grass. she loves it. some dogs just eat it because they like it and others eat it to induce vomiting.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Sadie has eaten just fine, her grazing just seemed to "up" itself to more and more. She seems perfectly the same as she as always been... hmm, maybe she has a dream to become a cow????

dog knibbles

My dog knibbles on the grass. but he can only get the tiny top picecs.If your that cocern why dont you leave him in for a few days maybe it will break the habbit.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobas Mom
    Sadie has eaten just fine, her grazing just seemed to "up" itself to more and more. She seems perfectly the same as she as always been... hmm, maybe she has a dream to become a cow????

lol, good that she is better

All three of my dogs are huge grass eaters when they can find it.

They don't do it to induce vomiting and its pretty funny to see three dogs scrambling for a tiny patch of grass.

If you do not suspect nausea or constipation, then I think Sadie is telling you she'd like more greens in her diet. You can just lightly steam them or cook them and throw them in with whatever she is eating now. Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, collards, cabbage etc.) should always be cooked.

I think it'd be good if you could reduce this excessive grass intake somehow. I say that because when you are off your property you are not going to know what has been sprayed on the grass and it'd be better if she was not in "cow mode" LOL.

I also think this change is worth mentioning to your vet at her next visit....while grass consumption in and of itself is not abnormal, a sudden change is always worth mentioning.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Quote Originally Posted by Nobas Mom
    So I need some advice. Sadie, my 2 1/2 year old beagle / lab mix has been eating a lot of grass the last few days... on a normal basis, she may do some minor grazing, but nothing like this... she goes outside and eats and eats and eats grass, she has to be told to stop. Any ideas??? She is eating her kibble without a problem, drinking water normally, going potty normally and plays like she always does, so no physically changes are noticed... just not sure what to make of the amount of grazing she's been doing?? Help!!!
    The most common reason is acid build up in the tummy. If you are feeding only once a day then try twice. If already feeding twice, then split the volume in a different ratio. There are times in the year when my Clover goes into Cow mode. I've also found using acid blockers on the weekend (e.g. she'd run off during the trips to the pond and eat grass in the forest) tended to help a lot. For a 50-70 lb puppy dog 75 mg of Cimetidine (Zantac) a day for a few days will help.

In general Labs or Lab mixes are the Pigs of the dog world. They will eat as much as you care to feed them. If you try to watch their weight and cut back you end up with stomach acid build up and they eat the grass. Yet another approach would be to fill the dog up in between meals with carrots or other raw veggies if the dog likes them. I heard of one person trying green beans added to their food- it didn't work out too well as it acted as a laxative.

eating grass

Honeygirl is a Beagle mix. She loves grass and eats it just because she likes it, or so it seems. She doesn't throw it up and usually "comes out the other end" in a day or so.
    Nap Time!
    Beagle Bailey & Spanky