Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pet of the Day, Cat of the Day, Dog of the Day and Pet Talk server upgrade

New Pet of the Day, Cat of the Day, Dog of the Day and Pet Talk server upgrade

In the next couple of weeks, we will upgrading our webserver to take advantage of the hardware and software advances of the past couple of years. There will be a few hours during the transition when Pet Talk will be closed. I will try to start the transfer in the early morning of a weekend day to minimize the disruption. Ideally, most people should not notice any large changes. However, since our IP addresses are changing and some ISPs will cache (remember) are old addresses for days longer than they should the will be some small problems with the transition.

It would be helpful if everyone knew their user name and password just in case the new server asks you to log in again.

You should be using our domain name, PetoftheDay.com as in http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/, instead of our current IP address http://67.15.70.205/talk/ because in a couple of weeks we will no longer be at this address and we have no idea what kind, if any, of website may be here in our place.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul; 08-03-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Will the new upgrade have a spell check feature? That's something I've been wishing for.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

We will upgrade to the current version of vBulletin, the software that runs Pet Talk. vBulletin does not list spell check as a feature. However they say on their board, "IE users will have IE spell available by default. Firefox 2 users will have Firefox's built in spell checker available by default."

I have not used IE spell.

Paul

Will this have any effect on the "post theft" that has happened recently?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Unfortunately, a faster server may make such theft easier.

Paul

Do you know of any specific date and time that Pet Talk will be closed?

Sounds good! I'll look forward to an *upgraded* PT!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I do not know when Pet Talk will be closed for the server transfer and upgrade. We announce when it is going to happen when we know. Perhaps, it will begin at 2:00 am EDT on Saturday.

Paul

I have my PC set up to automatically log me in when I click on www.petoftheday.com.

No idea what my user name and password are, I set all that up when I first joined and have never used it since. Oh wait, my user name is Freedom.

I can take a guess about my password.

Is there any way I can find out before the transition?

Thanks!
    Sandie

You can reset your password right now, while you are logged in, and this time, write it down and keep it in a safe place!

I recommend that anyone not sure of their password do this right away, just in case.

1. Go under your User CP
    2. The second item down in the lefthand column is Edit Email and Password
    3. Just look at the email address right now, make sure it is a correct address, and note (if you have more than one email address that you use) which address it is.

4. Go to the Pet Talk home page, take a deep breath, and Log Out.

5. Then type your username in the username box to log back in, and if you have a guess at your password, type that in and log in. If your guess works write it down! If your guess doesn't work, or if you just leave "password" blank, a box will come up that says "You have entered an invalid username or password. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!"

6. Click there. Enter your account's email address (which you made a note of in Step 3) and the software will automatically email you a new password.

7. Check your email. If you don't get that email right away, check your spam or junk folder, it may have gone there. That email will contain your new password.

8. Log in with your new password. You can either then go change your password to something more memorable, using that User CP, or keep the one the system assigned you as your ne password, that is up to you. Whatever the case, write it down, and put that piece of paper where you will be able to find it, just in case.

Does that make sense?

YES! Thank you, I will do that.

I recall from earlier versions, we could see the date of a person's last post in their profile. Hoping we can do that with the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    ***We will upgrade to the current version of vBulletin, the software that runs Pet Talk. vBulletin does not list spell check as a feature. However they say on their board, "IE users will have IE spell available by default. Firefox 2 users will have Firefox's built in spell checker available by default."

***I have not used IE spell.

******Paul
    My IE does not have a spell check now. Never did since I got my new computer with Windows XP. My old computer had it.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is it "a couple of weeks" yet?

PT was down for about 10 MIN. Was that a part of this?