Thread: Poodle Question...

Poodle Question...

Aly, Pam, or anyone else who might know...

I have 3 dogs and all are very well socialized. But for some reason, Fritz doesn't seem to like strangers very much. He doesn't seem interested at all. When people come over, he'd rather just sit on my lap. My other 2 dogs aren't like this at all. Are your poodles like this too? I'm just wondering if it's the breed or behavioral.

Thanks,
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Two of my foster poodles were like that but Reece is the opposite. He loooves people and will flirt with everyone! He spent most of the time at the Pet Talk Meeting in everyone's lap but mine. He is a mama's boy though because if I ever leave the room, BOOM he's right there! Thats why I think he's going to be wonderful in his therapy work.

I think it is pretty common for poodles to act like Fritz does though, especially the minis and toys.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

My poodle is shy around strangers, but once he's been around them for a little while, he loves to get in there and beg for attention. There have been a few people, however, that he doesn't like at all, no matter how long he's around them. At those times, he's like super glue to me.
    Mom of 5 dogs, 6 cats, a bird, and a donkey!
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291557495

My (parents) poodle/beagle mix likes people, doesm't like other dogs. we got her 6 weeks (too young!) and she was never around other dogs, only people. I think some of it is how the dog is socialized.

Out of all of my poodles, I only had one (Whitney, my black standard) who did not run to greet guests at the door. She waited to see who was there and if it was someone she didn't know she would back up into the dining room. Eventually she would warm up to the company and all would be well although she would never come quite close enough for the guest to pet her unless she knew them. Bella, on the other hand, is an "in your face" dog reveling in any affection that anyone might give her. HA! My two toys and my mini were also extroverts and just loved being with people no matter who they were.

I think maybe that is just Fritz' personality. Some people are instantly at ease with other people while others often need a little time, and I think it is probably the same with dogs. I think I would just relax and enjoy having Fritz in your lap. I know I wouldn't mind having that cutie spend an evening sitting in mine!

My cockapoos have been quite different. Bailey and Tizzie used to think that every person coming to the door was there to see them, and of course they had to welcome and entertain the guest. Hannah is a little snot. Most of the time she barks at the arrival but goes to sit on a chair in the living room. Every now and then someone will come who she falls all over. Generally it is a person who doesn't care about dogs. Go figure.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

My grandmothers poodle got that way with age. I think that they just get grumpy when they age.

Originally posted by sottice
    My poodle is shy around strangers, but once he's been around them for a little while, he loves to get in there and beg for attention. There have been a few people, however, that he doesn't like at all, no matter how long he's around them. At those times, he's like super glue to me.
    Exactly! There is one friend we have and Fritz won't go near him There is no reason for this at all. I think I have a strange dog

Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz

Exactly! There is one friend we have and Fritz won't go near him There is no reason for this at all. I think I have a strange dog
    Not so strange! Dogs sense things that we'll never have a clue about. There is always a reason a dog doesn't like somebody. It could be the way he smells, acts, or whatever. Nobody knows but your little pooch.

Here's a picture of my Chihuahua and Poodle
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AWWWWW!!!!!!!! They look like such sweeties!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thanks! If you want to see more pictures let me know. I'll post some more. I wish I could figure out how to get them directly on here without using attachments, but I don't guess I'm that smart.

Your dogs are adorable! Here's a picture of my three!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tanya,
    Your dogs are adorable! Of course, my husband tells me that I say that about all animals!

Smokey is usually quite friendly to people he meets. A lot more then I can say for Reggie (schnauzer). But once he's met you, eh, he'll only come if HE wants to. There's no running up to be petted or anything, he'll usually just stay in his corner/bed in the kitchen...unless food is involved of course lol.