Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update on the 2 urinary problem cats.

update on the 2 urinary problem cats.

Sterling had his retest and the infection is gone. Back to normal. WOO HOO!

Biddy had his retest. this time no crystals. But before you celebrate, he is still high on the blood count and high in protein. The vet requested an xray (which he'll get tomorrow) and possibly a culture (which I want to ask about first.)

We have not treated him for infection. Maybe we should? (that is question #1)
    And I do not know what causes protein in the blood to be high. (question #2)

And I did not go into details earlier, but poor Biddy stayed at the vet the other day to get the urine sample and they couldn't. He was SOOOO stressed that he would pee and drag his whole body through it. No sample could be gotten. I managed to get it at home within the next day or two.

So thoughts for my beautiful Biddy White Whiskers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the updates. I'm so glad that Sterling is doing well again. I'm very sorry to hear about Biddy though and I hope that the vet will be able to find out what's causing his problem. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Jen, there is a site that I have bookmarked about lab tests in cats and dogs. www.pets/ca, put lab tests in their search box, then click on the article " What do those labs tests mean." The total protein is increased in dehydration OR if the immune system is being stimulated to produce large amounts of antibodies. Good luck with your boys!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    The total protein is increased in dehydration OR if the immune system is being stimulated to produce large amounts of antibodies. Good luck with your boys!!!
    OK, Just looking at (and feeling Biddy) I would say he is NOT dehydrated.

Glad to hear that!! Just reporting what I read!!!! The site is pretty good!
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    Glad to hear that!! Just reporting what I read!!!! The site is pretty good!
    I thank you. I mention the dehydration because now I wonder if he has some mass infection, or something. What coul be causing high levels of antibodies? His urine was tested 3 times and never was there a mention of infection. Only crystals that were found the first 2 times.

I did not hesitate on ordering an xray because I know that it might show us stones in the bladder (it did for Rutherford). I will be asking for a blood test too (if it would help)

Jen, this is such a stab in the dark, but I wonder if having the crystals causes an irritation, and then somehow antibodies are stimulated??? This goes WAY beyond what I learned in nursing school!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Not that anyone is following this (except Sandra & Tracey) but Biddy had his xray today. Thankfully it did not show stones (as I expected) but there is an area that "might" be sand.

Blood was sent out and we are going to try a round of antibiotics. Even though there were NO white cells in the urinalysis, the vet wanted to touch all bases.

ph is good, all we have to do is figure out what is casing all the blood. Re-test in yet another 10 days.

Would there be any point in treating the "sand" just in case? As long as the treatment wouldn't hurt or damage him?

Prayers going out to Biddy...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Would there be any point in treating the "sand" just in case? As long as the treatment wouldn't hurt or damage him?

Prayers going out to Biddy...
    Well, we talked about doing sub-Q fluids to "flush him out" but wanted to wait until most of the tests are done because it dilutes the urine.

I'm glad that he doesn't have any stones. I sure hope that the vet will be able to find out what's causing his problem. Maybe the sand is causing irritation and this is causing the blood in his urine. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Storm's also had blood in his urine but no crystals or infection so I really don't understand what causes this.

What exactly do you mean, there's "sand" in the bladder??? I'm lost on this one. Does that mean they're not stone sized, but teeny tiny???

Jenn: From Post #8
    Thankfully it did not show stones (as I expected) but there is an area that "might" be sand.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

To be honest, I am uncertain EXACTLY what "sand" is, but all that could be seen on an xray was a bit of shading laying in the bladder area. No stones, per se.

Sometimes I forget to ask the simple things.

As for Biddy, the blood work was terrific! Now we do 10 days of Baytril and retest the urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Jenn: From Post #8
    That's what I was asking... what the heck is sand??