Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs in cars

Dogs in cars

Have spent the afternoon designing some small labels which I shall keep about my person to stick on any car I see where some idiot has left their dog unattended
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Doesn't that just make you want to open the door and let them out?? Some people are so ignorant. I would like to put them in a car without AC for a bit and see how they like it. I have been in a restraurants before and seen cars in the parking lot with a dog closed in, panting and drooling like mad, makes me want to scream when I get inside "What IDIOT left their dog closed in the car?!?"
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Quote Originally Posted by WELOVESPUPPIES
    Doesn't that just make you want to open the door and let them out?? Some people are so ignorant. I would like to put them in a car without AC for a bit and see how they like it. I have been in a restraurants before and seen cars in the parking lot with a dog closed in, panting and drooling like mad, makes me want to scream when I get inside "What IDIOT left their dog closed in the car?!?"

I tend to ask that question Going to make sure my labels are difficult to get off and will stick them slap bang in the driver's line of sight

The label idea sound great...I think I may just do the same thing, especially living here in Florida where it is HOTTER than H&!! right now. Make sure they have EXTRA sticky on them.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Have spent the afternoon designing some small labels which I shall keep about my person to stick on any car I see where some idiot has left their dog unattended

How about a preview of your labels?. Might just have to translate some into Italian and do it here too. I am sure you know the heat and humidity in Italy and it is always the same...idiots leaving dogs in cars. It's the same the world over.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

On a related subject, it has been hot and humid here. The vet I take the fosters to had 3 dogs in for heat stroke; one died. My vet, where I take my pets, also has had to deal with several and 2 died.

Even dogs who are used to regular exercise can't do it in this weather.

Do any of the labels start out: "Is your dog alive?"

Any point getting license #'s to report?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You should call the police. It's animal cruelty and prosecutable, at least here.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    You should call the police. It's animal cruelty and prosecutable, at least here.
    With the heat we had, especially last week, a note would have been too late for any animal left in a car. I think a call to the police is necessary in the summer heat.

Absolutely - call the police. By the time some idiot reads the sticker the dog could be dead.

I saw a dog in a car on my way into the grocery store a few weeks ago. Was going to have the owner paged inside, but she passed me as I was going in. I followed her and read her the riot act. She seemed to think it was fine because the window was open 2" and there was water in the car. I asked why she didn't leave her 2 kids in the car with the dog.

I think she then got the message.

Don't hesitate - call the police.

I agree this is the best course of action, as using sticky lables could be construed as vehicle vandalism regardless of how good your intentions are. Just a thought.

Yesterday I almost had a fit when I saw a dog in a car in 90 degree heat. The car was in the shade and windows cracked but still and I had no idea how long the dog had been there! However upon walking over near the car there was a human in the passenger seat with the dog also. So I'm guessing that the human would be smart enough to turn on the A/C if it had been very long. I calmed down then.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Maybe pieces of stiff paper instead of sticky labels - that wouldn't be vandalism then.

Stick them in the driver's window, between the window and door frame.

Windshield wipers - they won't notice, or think it is advertising.

Based on experience when I did something similar.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

When I was at the Royal Welsh show, a message on the tamoy came across during a show...

"Could the owners of a white toyota registration xxxx xxx please attend to your dog which has been locked in your car. Passers by have noticed he is in considerable distress."

You should have seen the looks they got. Public humiliation works every time!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I've experienced this scene too many times to count. I always feel like checking if the doors are unlocked so I can at least tie the dogs to the door OUTSIDE. I'm sure this would be illegal also. Although we have a law against dogs riding in the back of trucks unless crated, we still have idiots doing this, I always hope some cop will be around to spot them.

I agree this is the best course of action, as using sticky lables could be construed as vehicle vandalism regardless of how good your intentions are. Just a thought.
    That doesn't bother me one bit - in fact it would highlight the whole issue again....

I have the number for the RSPCA, the Dog Warden and the police programmed into my phone and won't hesitate to give them a call