Thread: Whoops I Shaved My Husky

Whoops I Shaved My Husky

hey everyone, looks like i made a big mistake....
    ive owned my husky for 5 years now and hes been a great dog so far, shedding has always been expected so its never really bothered me much....recently a friend of mine threw out the idea of shaving him....so on impluse i said hey, sounds like a good idea, and shaved the main part of his body, leaving his legs, underbelly, and neck up unshaved. I realize now that i should have researched this decision before acting upon it, but we all make mistakes....I am wondering now what i should do, obviously its gonna take some time to grow back, but approx how much time? also, should i wash him more frequently now that his outter layer is gone? his hair is about 1/2 inch thick - 1 inch thick all over the area i shaved.....any tips would be greatly appreciated....thanks

I would suggest seeing a professional groomer, Huskys coats are really not meant to be shaved, If you see a professional and see what they can advice you.

I agree, I think you should go to a groomer and get it fixed.
    If your dog is shedding maybe get a Furminator and when shes blowing her coat take her to the groomers for a wash, they will use a blow dryer that blows out all the undercoat which is usually the main reason for shedding. She won't need more bathing just because of short hair.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

We commonly shave huskies at work -- it's something alot of owners want. There is nothing wrong with it besides the fact that his undercoat provided him with insulation from the heat. He may feel cooler, but he is also more susceptible to heat stroke and sunburn.
    How long it takes to grow back depends completely on the health of the dog. The healthier the dog, the faster it will grow back. If the dog isn't healthy, it will take a long time, come back only in patches, grow back only guard hairs (think of a very profuse coat that feels poky when you touch it), grow back as only undercoat (think of a soft matted mess), or not grow back at all. That's why a double coated dog should always be in top health before being shaved, unless you want to continue shaving it. If it isn't growing back well, switch his food and talk to your vet about putting him on thyroid medication, atleast until the hair grows back.
    He won't need more baths -- dogs that get shaved off usually need less baths because moisture won't be trapped underneath their hair, letting bacteria grow. Huskies are clean dogs in general anyways, I imagine he won't have a problem.
    The only thing a groomer can do is make it look better. They certainly won't be able to reverse the effects of what you've done or somehow prevent heatstroke, so unless you're panicking about a crooked haircut, I won't recommend a groomer.
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 07-31-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: "every dog is a girl syndrome"
    I've been BOO'd!

We, too, shave a LOT of huskies in the summer. It's quite common.

It's also quite common for us to fix a LOT of "home grooms", so don't be embarassed to call a professional groomer and tell them. Trust me, it won't be the first, or the hundredth, time they've heard it.

I'd personally have him shaved by a professional. He will look much better, you will feel better about it, and he will grow out evenly.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien