Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd website with pet talk threads

I sent in a complaint! Although, I have to admit, I wasn't sure how to word it. It is just so weird. I just said that I had never even heard of ths ite which they are hosting, that I never posted to it, and my posts are "stolen." Then I 'demanded' that they remove it.

HEY! Here is the reply I received back:
    Hello,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with one of our clients. Certainly, if
    you've been libeled or slandered you may have some legal recourse for that
    having happened. This legal recourse would be between yourself and our client exclusively, and would be a matter for civil court to decide on. We do not take down websites without an official court order to do so prior to removing a site from our servers. If your attorney is able to obtain an injunction, or other form of court order, please share a notarized copy of that letter with us. If we're able to verify the authenticity of the document, we'll honor the request therein to remove the website from our servers.

Any violation of any person's intellectual property rights, rights of privacy,
    rights of publicity or other personal rights is prohibited. We are required by
    law to remove or block access to content appearing on or through the Services upon receipt of proper notice of copyright infringement see "Copyright Infringement Notice Information" as stated in our terms of services:

http://www.bluehost.com/terms_of_service.html

In regards to requests for information on the person who set up the sites, our policy is that we can only give out the information on our customers when it is requested through a subpoena or a court order. Because of our policy we cannot give out this information without a judge's consent.

We will willingly assist by forwarding any and all correspondence received
    regarding our customer and complaints in reference to sites we are hosting to
    our customer unless legally ordered otherwise.

We apologize for this inconvenience these policies may cause you. We will be
    happy to promptly comply when presented with one of the above documents.

BH/HM/FD Abuse Department
    1215 N. Research Way
    Suite Q-3500| Orem, UT 84097
    V: (888) 401-HOST | F: 801-765-1992

Most questions can be answered by articles in our knowledgebase or our NEW
    forum!
    Forum: http://www.bluehostforum.com
    Knowledgebase: http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/
    Last edited by Freedom; 07-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.

That is not right! I found like three threads that I made on PT that was on there! I am so mad I remember reading half of the stuff on that site. Who gave them the right to copy down all that stuff?
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

oh my goodness. That is a little scary. I hope they get in trouble for that.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    What an odd site. I don't even see the point, really. It says "chat" but I see nowhere that you can add a post or anything. It is really bizarre that so many of the threads were copied from Pet Talk. Anyone reading them has to wonder what "PT" is when it's mentioned...doesn't appear to be a site to be terribly concerned about, but it is curious!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I clicked on "Contact Us" and this is what I got ...
    Contact Us
    Contact Us Email to carelittle at 21cn.com,Please!
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 07-30-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Change e-mail address to plain text per Paul's post below
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It looks like we're not the only ones ...

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...t=58471&page=4

The majority of posts on the "Cat A&Q" (like that, they got Q&A wrong) are from PT. One is even titled PT I really need your help. Seems like most of them were copied around the same time a couple of months ago, I think.

From Decker with Love

I hope they get in trouble. A lot of pet site are getting their threads copied. What gaves them the right to do that? Also how can they put a copyright on the bottom of the page!?
    Right now I feel so mad and scared. You don't know who is reading this. Hope they get caught. I writing them a complaint!
    Last edited by KittyGurl; 07-30-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    I clicked on "Contact Us" and this is what I got ...
    Contact Us
    Contact Us Email to carelittle at 21cn.com,Please!
    From the first page:
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Here's something even more odd! I clicked on the contact link and it gave their website name @21cn.com I clicked on that and it's all in Chinese. Had the page translated. It appears to be like Yahoo. So, someone overseas is ripping off PT? This is totally bizzare! I wonder if they've been getting income from the web pages?
    Looks like Karen is going to have to get an attorney to take down the site. I don't see how that company can get away with this.
    Last edited by dukedogsmom; 07-30-2007 at 06:23 PM.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I guess I don't post things that I would be worried about, but one of the first things I saw was "Lovely Lilly", starting with the beautiful poem that Karen wrote when my Lilly died. What in the world are these people doing??

Hey, you know, lets go join argue to the people that posts our stuff. Seriousely. I might go and cuss out thoes people.

WEIRD!!!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I didn't see any threads I wrote. Maybe my computer isn't working but they have picture threads of for example of Tango, but I don't see any pictures.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

OK, I had a chat with a buddy of mine whos up with what Online Marketing and such is up to these days, and he gave me the low down on what this is -

What is it? Its a site designed to generate Google Adsense revenue. And yes, it happens all the time. Its basically that they steal a lot of information that people would generally search for, in hopes that they will click through the ads. Instead of actually making their own content, they steal it.

How to try to stop it? 2 ways:
    - Threatening to bring in lawyers often works.
    - As does threatening to report it as an MFA site (MFA = Made for Adsense).
    And complaining to Google is the only way to report an MFA site since it's their problem.

This might help them to lose the 'adsense' revenue if nothing else -- http://www.google.com/tm_complaint_afd.html

Karen and I will pursue this with BlueHost.com.

Blue Frog is right. This site is designed to generate advertising revenue. I imagine that even a small amount of money could be very valuable to someone in China. Google's advertising program, Adsense, may remove them. However, there are other advertising programs carelittle could join.

Carelittle could leave BlueHost.com and find another web host. However, Carelittle is depending upon the search engines to bring in people to click on their ads. Carelittle's content should not be listed in the big three search engines, Google, Yahoo, and MSN (at least for US English).

There is one thing we could do right now. We should not post any links to Carelittle.com. They should only be mentioned in plain text. Every ("good") link increases a website's value in the eyes of a search engine. So we should convert the Pet Talk links into plain text.

Picking a phrase at random from carelittle's website, I searched for "his summer job cuz he's leaving in two days" (with quotes) on Google. Google only lists one result at carelittle.com! There is no result for Glacier's thread, "Another big day for Tehya...lots of pics" on Pet Talk!

In may cases Google devalues duplicated content. However, without viewing Pet Talk as the original source for this thread, carelittle could be considered the original.

carelittle needs to be removed from the search engines. Perhaps, Google's link, "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" at the bottom of the page will work. I just filled it out for this link. Hopefully if a lot of Pet Talkers complain to Google they will do something about it. I should look for other ways to contact Google.

Pet Talk needs to be promoted. Please link to your threads on Pet Talk from other places whenever it is appropriate.

MSN did not list this thread but I did not try other threads. Yahoo did list Pet Talk.

Paul