Thread: iMac wireless router question

iMac wireless router question

Ok, I figured I'd put this out there in case anyone had a clue because right now I'm really confused.

I use a Mac, so right there compatibility is an issue with most things.

I just switched to Verizon Voicewing VOIP internet phone service, but it seems I need a router to use with it. I've always just used my Airport Express as a simple router (just needed it for wireless for my laptop), but with the set up with the Verizon Voicewing, there is no where for me to plug in my ethernet cable from my Airport!! I have the phone connection, and it's great so far, but I can't use my laptop wirelessly, and that's an issue. Well, I'm using it now, but I'm jacking some neighbor's wireless I'm guessing cause it's not mine! I hate the thought of doing that, not just because it's not honest but for privacy on my laptop.

Anyway... anyone out there know of a router for a Mac that is not expensive and I can hook up inbetween all this other crap so I can use my Airport again??? None of the Verizon directions had anything about using a wireless network in their directions, so I'm hoping I can guess this set up correctly.

Thanks in advance!!

I have experience with routers but not Macs... I wouldn't feel guilty tapping into someone elses router if they don't have it secured.

Let me warn you, once you get that all figured out, make SURE you secure yours! I saw a thing on TV where people drive around to find these unsecured routers and download games, music and stuff and it is traced to your computer and since your router isn't secured, you can be held accountable for the illegal downloading.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I asked my husband if he could help you, this is from him-

Are you talking about an airport basestation? If so, that should function just like any other router. If you can't plug a cable from that into your VOIP device then you won't be able to plug a cable in from any other router. If they gave you directions for a router setup I'm not sure why they wouldn't work for your airport basestation. You might want to give their support line a call.

If you're saying that you're using an airport extreme card in a computer that is plugged into your modem to share a connection wirelessly, that's a whole other situation...

Might help if you could explain your setup a bit more...
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    Are you talking about an airport basestation? If so, that should function just like any other router. If you can't plug a cable from that into your VOIP device then you won't be able to plug a cable in from any other router. If they gave you directions for a router setup I'm not sure why they wouldn't work for your airport basestation. You might want to give their support line a call.

If you're saying that you're using an airport extreme card in a computer that is plugged into your modem to share a connection wirelessly, that's a whole other situation...

Might help if you could explain your setup a bit more...
    Ok, here goes.

I have an Airport Express.... it's technically just a small square thing that you can take with you to plug any ethernet cord into and it will make it a wireless system. It's NOT a base station. I have those at school, and know what you mean. This is a about 3" x 3" at the most, and like I said, a square, not the spaceship looking deal (it was also only 1/3 of the price of the base station). It's really meant for mobility.

What I'm looking for I guess, is a router that I can use to connect all these stupid devices to that is Mac compatible. That's the part that is getting me. I need to have at least 2 ethernet ports on it. Don't need much else on it, but I need to be able to connect my DSL line to it and also my airport so I can access the DSL line. Or, do I just get a wireless router and cut out the Airport Extreme??? I was looking to see which companies also had Appletalk support, and most of them don't. Many are not Mac compatible, so a lot of the inexpensive ones I can't use, which sucks.

I say cut out the airport and just use a wireless router. Do you have a desktop PC that you can have the wireless router plugged into full time? I have the Linksys broadband router and love it. My computer is plugged in with an ethernet cable (4 ports on the back) and hubby uses his laptop wirelessly. Everything that I have read says that it is combatible with the MAC OS but that it may be slightly trickier to set up. I personally think Linksys is the best brand of wireless router out there. I'm not sure which models allow mac but if you search for linksys wireless routers you will find it.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

And here is a link on hwo to set it up using both a linksys router and your airport.. I just thougth that it was interesting.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06060516541633
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    I say cut out the airport and just use a wireless router. Do you have a desktop PC that you can have the wireless router plugged into full time? I have the Linksys broadband router and love it. My computer is plugged in with an ethernet cable (4 ports on the back) and hubby uses his laptop wirelessly. Everything that I have read says that it is combatible with the MAC OS but that it may be slightly trickier to set up. I personally think Linksys is the best brand of wireless router out there. I'm not sure which models allow mac but if you search for linksys wireless routers you will find it.
    We use a Linksys wireless G router with our Mac. Setting it up is as easy as plugging it in- your Mac will just find it. This is the exact one we have- http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G...5567089&sr=8-1 The only problem we've had with it is our 2.4ghz cordless phone interferes with the wireless signal, so we lose our internet connection on the laptop when we're on the phone.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Do you have a desktop PC that you can have the wireless router plugged into full time?
    I sold my desktop iMac a few years ago. I only have a laptop. I could only afford one or the other... we teachers don't make jack. For a year or so all I had was my work laptop, I had to save up for this one.

And here is a link on hwo to set it up using both a linksys router and your airport.. I just thougth that it was interesting.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06060516541633
    Every store I went to that had Linksys, it wasn't Mac compatible. The guys from Best Buy said they were not the most reliable. I was left with NetGear and Belkin. I think what I'm going to end up doing is just getting the wireless router, and cutting out the Airport Express. I can always sell it, lol.

Anyone need a cable modem and/or an Airport Express??