Thread: criket frying help please?

criket frying help please?

i have 2 tree snakes and an anole but the problem is that the crikets keep frying because of the heating pad and heating lamp and we can not turn any of them off or the anole will die.any suggjestions on how to stop criket frying?
    Justin and the pups.

We have a seperate cricket cage and move the lizard to the cricket cage for feeding. You can also put in less crickets at one time. The anole shouldn't need the temperature so high that the crickets fry quickly. Is there shade at all for them to hide in?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

help with frying crikets......................

there is plenty of shade and i can not take the crikets out and put them in another tankk because i also have 2 tree snakes the need a constint food supply and they are not frying like the 2nd day they are in there it has been 7 days...............need anymore anwser ill anwser questions......
    Justin and the pups.

If the temp is so hot that the crickets die it is WAY too hot for an anole. The real question is...how hot is it at either end of the tank? There should be a gradient...It should be cooler at one end and warmer at the other.

Also, what kind of tree snakes do you have?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Anoles and tree snakes do not need a heating pad on the floor of the cage. Those are for ground dwelling lizards and snakes that natuarlly warm themselves on sun-heated rocks. Tree snakes and anoles need ONLY an overhead lamp. In the wild, these reptiles never come down out of trees, and all their heat comes from above. So, firstly, take out the cage bottom heater. It's not helping, and actually harms the digestive tracts of some tree-dwelling reptiles.

If your crickets are living in the cage for seven days before they die, there are a couple of problems. I doubt they are "frying", I would rather think they are starving. You are putting too many crickets in at once, if they are still in there and dying after a week. Put ONLY a few crickets in at a time, and don't put any more in the cage until they are gone. I have had a rough green tree snake for years and years, and he does not need a constant food supply. I put in three or four crickets, and a couple of days later when they are gone, he gets a few more.

Hungry crickets can do damage to small reptiles, if there are too many crickets in the cage and the reptiles are too full to eat them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, if they are living to 7 days, you are putting too many in at once. Crickets are omnivores and can eat at a weak reptile when they are hungry. If there are enough of them it can do quite a bit of damage. Only put a day's supply in.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog
    Hungry crickets can do damage to small reptiles, if there are too many crickets in the cage and the reptiles are too full to eat them.
    Maybe that is what happened to the anole who died after just 2 weeks. You said the crickets were eating him at the end!

thanks!

Hey guys i have been putting in less crikets at a time I have been putting in about 12 or so 9 [because there are 2 anoles and 2 tree snakes] and it has been working out fine! I am so relieved that i dont find crikets dead at the bottom of the tank.

THANKS MUCH!
    Justin,
    Justin and the pups.

Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithanimals
    Hey guys i have been putting in less crikets at a time I have been putting in about 12 or so 9 [because there are 2 anoles and 2 tree snakes] and it has been working out fine! I am so relieved that i dont find crikets dead at the bottom of the tank.

THANKS MUCH!
    Justin,

Good! Glad to hear it! It takes some trial and error sometimes to get it right. Thanks for being receptive to our suggestions.

I've had anoles for years in the past, and currently have a rough green tree snake. I'll be happy to talk with you about them if you want. We certainly like our Mr. Snake. My son got him when he was in grade school, and he's now a junior in high school.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm glad things are working better for you. I had anoles when I was younger, but they're so delicate I eventually stopped keeping them.

Thank you Wolf_Q!