Thread: When to spay & neuter

When to spay & neuter

I own mainly dogs, and the cat that I have I rescued. So I have never owned a kitten before. I was wondering when is a good age to spay/neuter. I know for dogs its at approx 6 months of age. I didn't know if the same help for cats or not.

THanks!

My vet says not before 6 months of age but I know that's up for debate w/some vets.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Depending on your vet, 6 months is a good guide. I've always had my cats spayed/neutered at 5 months to avoid them going into heat.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My boss recommends 6 months for female cats and 7 months for male cats. It's not a set in stone rule, he has sometimes neutered as young as 5 months if the cat starts acting like a tomcat (ie; fighting, spraying etc)

Dusty was already spayed when she showed up (RIP Dusty)

I had Jack neutered when he showed up at 7 months old

I had Pooky & Bear neutered at 5 1/2 months because they started fighting with each other and the other cats.

I had Cami spayed when she showed up at 1 year old.

I had Sassy & Sabrina spayed at 5 months because of having their intact brother in the house, I didn't want to take a chance on more kittens.

I had Josh neutered at 5 1/2 months because it worked out schedule wise for the surgery.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022