Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful free Labrador Retriever puppy

Hybrid View

Beautiful free Labrador Retriever puppy

Cutefamilypets.com is featuring a handsome Labrador Retriever this week by the name of Pepe. We just received this email from Pepe's owner:

Hi there, I'm xxxxxxxxxx, pepe's owner, just want to thank you for featuring Pepe's in your website. I'm contacting you because we just had to make a very difficult decision, we have to find a new home for pepe. We have to move to a small apartment and unfortunately we can't have pepe anymore. I don't know if you can help me finding a good home for pepe using your website.
    We are just giving him for free, he is 37 pounds now, 6 months and already neutered, all vaccines, etc.

Please let me know because we have to do that by next Thursday. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------------------

He needs to let me know exactly where he lives, but it's in the South Miami area. If anyone can open their home to this beautiful puppy, please let us know. Pepe can been at our main page and on his featured site:

http://www.cutefamilypets.com
    Barbi
    on behalf of Lady/Tobi/Buffy
    a great site for all animal-lovers!
    Has your pet been featured yet?

OMG!! Some lucky family will be so blessed to have Pepe in their family! I do rescue work with North East All Retriever Rescue. Unfortunatley, we are unable to work with adoption candidates that far south. Has Pepe's family tried the following organziations. They do wonderful work fostering and placing Labs like Pepe! Here are the links. The first one is an org. based in South Florida and does great work!

www.labradorrescue.net
    www.labrescue.com
    www.labradorlifeline.org

Good Luck! I wish I were closer!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I think the owner is trying to find Pepe a good home before turning to organizations for help. Hopefully, we'll succeed in doing that. I do have those links though, just in case thanks

Isn't he beautiful? I wish I had 40 acres of land just to house animals needing a home
    Barbi

Hi Barbiro. It might be "easier" and less complicated for your friend to find a home without involoving a rescue organization. BUT, I can tell you sadly, through experience, that the majority of Labs thats are turned in for adoption are done so by people who are not familiar with the personality and physical needs of the breed and find themselves unable to provide a suitable home, i.e., they do not realize that Labs are VERY demanding emotionally and physically!! They want to be with their "people," always, involved in any and all family activities, need great amts. of physical exercise and mental stimulation and are notorious for remaining "puppy-like" for up to 3 years! Most especially, Lab puppies, such as Pepe are very active, strong and strong willed creatures! Some families are just not willing to devote the time and attention these very active dogs require! Everyone loves the look and personality of a Lab, or so they think!! When you go through an adoption agency, potential adopters are VERY thoroughly screened re: Retriever experience, puppy experience, # and ages of children in the household, type and size of yard, how dog will be socialized, exercised, etc. Enrollment in obedience training classes is required within 1 month of adoption. And the best part is that pending adoption, the dog is fostered in an experienced and loving Retriever home. Please ask your friend to re-consider! I am sure they love their Pepe very much and would want the best for him. I just dread the thought of this beautiful boy being another sad turn in. If they still don't want to go the "resuce route," perhpas you could pass along the potential pitfalls I mentioned. Best of luck!! And WHAT A CUTIE!!! Pepe, you are one beautiful boy!!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I couldn't resist! What a GORGEOUS Black Labbie!! Logan, you love these guys.....
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 07-21-2002 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks tatsxxx11, you beat me in posting the pic! Isn't he beautiful. The owner is not a friend, I do not even know him. He's someone who's pet I am featuring this week and he turned to us for help.

I totally agree that not everyone can own a Labrador. I do not have a Labrador Retriever, but I do own Lady, a Flat-Coated Retriever. She's a hand-full and we adore her. Here's a picture of Lady:

Hopefully we'll find someone who will give this pooch and good and loving home.
    Barbi

What a beauty!! I have always yearned for a Flat Coat!! As a child I had a beautiful dog named Snuffy. At the time, we just thought of her as a sweet and loving "All American." Today, I see she bore an amazing resemblence to a Flat Coat! Lady is precious!! What a loving face and caring, sweet brown eyes! Thanks so much for bringing back a wonderful, cherished memory! Love and hugs to you Lady girl!!

If they got the puppy from a good breeder the breeder may take him back. I would ask about it and if it is papered and they do have a contract with the breeder then the breeder does have first rights if they can no longer care for the puppy. Also they might not be aware of this either. It is really sad to see anyone give up an animal. I hope he does find a good loving home and stays there for the rest of his days.

Something tells me that Lab Rescue might be the perfect place for this pup since people coming to them usually will know the breed, and know what they are in for with a six month old pup. The rescue people might even be able to point these folks in the direction of some of their potential adopters without even taking him in to the rescue. Sandra read me correctly.......I am so partial to those "black beauties"....imagine that and right now I have 4 golden colored Retrievers and Labs in my house!! LOL!!! And their fur is everywhere!!! I do hope it all works out.

Recently, a friend from church was lamenting the loss of her Chocolate Lab, due to kidney failure, at age 11 1/2. She was desperate for an adult Lab to adopt. I brought up rescue (you know me, I will never miss a chance to educate), and she had never realized there were breed specific rescues. To make a long story short, she did a search for Lab Rescue and found five rescue groups which she contacted by email. She found a beautiful 3 year old Yellow Labrador, who was having to be rehomed due to allergies, only 30 miles from here. These people had done everything humanly possible to desensitive their child, and it still hadn't worked. Now my friend, Cynthia, has a new dog, and the people who loved the dog so much are comfortable that she will be loved and cared for.

Great story Logan! And you're absolutely right!! Steering people in the right direction and educating them is the way to go! What a lucky Labbie girl to have such a wondeful home!

tatsxxx11, she is a beauty, isn't she? I'm so proud of my Lady...I just know God sent her to me when she was born. I don't know if you're familiar with the history of how Lady and I found each other from other posts, but read this -- it's really touching:

Short story

Flat-coated retrievers are the very best! It's such a smart breed. The only thing missing in Lady is her ability to talk, I swear. When I'm upset, down, moody....she understands me completely. I totally love her eyes, they say so much. She really has a tender look in them.

Obvious that I love her, huh? Nope, I think it's more like "adore" her. Thanks a bunch for the compliments!! I hope someday you have a flat-coated of your own.

Thanks to everyone regarding Pepe. I sent the owner an email but haven't heard from him yet. I will keep everyone posted. Something tells me this pooch is going to have a new, loving home before long.
    Barbi

Thanks so much for sharing the beautiful story of Lady with us, the most beloved Flat Coated Retriever on the planet!! The only thing more heartwarming than the sight of beautiful Lady is knowing how deeply loved and cherished she is!! I'm cross posting your info. re: Pepe!! All paws crossed that this beauty finds the forever home he deserves!! Keep us updated! Sandra

Logan, that is such a touching story. The sad reality though, is that most people just think of getting a puppy when they want a new pet. They don't realize that the little puppy needs training to grow up to be a manageable adult dog (especially medium to large size dogs).

I agree with you that adopting from a rescue is a great way to go. Personally, it's hard for me to stop by a rescue place. Two weeks ago my daughter and I found a trembling Yorkie outside my daughter's boyfriend's home. She brought him in, bathed him, fed him and kept him there for 2 days while trying to find him a home. Since she couldn't keep him, and neither could I, we wound up taking him to Adopt-A-Pet. You want to have a good cry? Stop by Adopt-A-Pet. So many beautiful animals, it makes you sick to your stomach that so many are unloved and unwanted. Maggie started crying, I was a wreck, and once again I kept cursing the fact that I can't solve the problems of each and every homeless pet I see on the streets. But, at least I can help, one-at-a-time, like I'm doing with Pepe and have done with so many others.
    Barbi

Logan, myself and a few other friends were just discussing this! It is so heartbreaking and emotinally draining to know that so many innocent animals are neglected, abused and homeless. I too get myself sick, to the point of tears, just thinking about it, knowing that I can't save them all. It's so overwhelming. But, if we all do our best to what we can, in whatever way we can, we CAN make a difference! You need only read the Rescue Forum here to learn about the many success stories there are out there. Rescuing, saving lives, one at time. EDUCATING!! That's what we have to focus on! There are so many dedicated, caring dog lovers out there and together we CAN make a difference!

I have been trying to stay away from posting on here lately. I am really angry with some things that have been going on here and i will say ... I have 3 lab puppies living in my home at the moment because of a backyard breeder with no brains and no way of caring for these animals. I am sick to death of seeing and hearing these kind of stories. I don't understand why people adopt these animals and then want to get rid of them.. Labs or any other breed, All puppies are hyper. I have 4 in my house. Mind you Presley is alot better then the other 3 are! Anyways.. I have admitted to people here i wont do rescue work.. It makes me ill and it is heartbreaking but when the breeder i got Presley from called me and asked about this i couldn't say no. I don't know how i will ever let these darlings go to a home either... I love them to pieces.. And that Beautiful puppy Pepe looks so much like Presley did it is heart breaking.... BAH! People....

**goes back to hiding...**

Melissa