Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roundup - poisonous for pets?

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Roundup - poisonous for pets?

I've checked a couple of websites and haven't found a definitive answer. Does anyone have experience using Roundup (dandelion weed killer)? Is it poisonous for pets?

We have made an offer on a new house. The back yard is absolutely covered in dandelions. We need to do something drastic (yet not harmful) to get rid of them and start the lawn all over.

Our kitties are allowed outside under our supervision and Bobcat plans to build them an enclosure so they have a part of the yard all to themselves. But, before we do anything, we need to make sure whatever we put on the lawn doesn't harm cats or dogs.

Thanks.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I would imagine if they step on the spot directly after it's been sprayed that it could be harmful. I wouldn't allow the kitties outside until after a few days it's been sprayed.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

You should consult ChemLawn or someone who does it professionally. We have ours done for weeds and improved growth in this horrid heat, and they do have some all natural products if you request them. Trust me, it'll be cheaper than trying to spray Round-Up, which really isn't going to be effective on a whole yard, on the whole thing.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

my parents spray my weeds -
    my dad mixes his own mixture b/c he works @ an elevator -
    after he sprays you can literally stand there and watch them die!
    I keep Keegan away from the areas overnite and reallllllly try to not walk on the areas where he sprayed b/c when I walk over that area and walk across the grass you can see my foot prints a day or so later!
    The regular roundup from a store isn't that strong but if the yard is that bad - I would look into some kind of professional to work with it.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I used Roundup in the early Spring this year for the dandelions.

I used it when rain was forecast in 2 or 3 days; and I did not let the cats out in the yard until AFTER the rain.

It was enough time for the Roundup to work and kill the weeds. I think it mentions you need 24 hours of no rain for it to work, but I don't remember.

Better to be safe, good for you for asking!

If the cats are in a new home, you really don't want them outside for a bit anyway. You need them inside setting their scent and understanding that THIS is now home. Good luck!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Thanks everybody. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
    If we buy the house, we plan to leave the kitties right where they are until we get the yard taken care of and a kitty enclosure built. Once that's all done, then we'd move them over to start sniffing around and checking out their new digs.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I wouldn't be using Roundup at all with pets around, it's actually a very poisonous herbicide, and I'm quite sure it would make your pets quite ill, even with the smallest amount.
    Dandelions are actually easy to kill......pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
    Wom

I second this!
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    I wouldn't be using Roundup at all with pets around, it's actually a very poisonous herbicide, and I'm quite sure it would make your pets quite ill, even with the smallest amount.
    Dandelions are actually easy to kill......pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
    Wom
    I also found the wonderful benefit of letting the yard grow wild... More wildlife! We're in the middle of the city and hardly ever seen anything besides English Sparrows and Starlings. This year we and our neighbors let our grass (and weeds) grow tall and go to seed before mowing it. We got American Goldfinches!!! That was my first time seeing them besides wayyyyyy out in the country at bird feeders.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    .pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
    Wom
    Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water! )

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water! )
    It won't work Pam, unless you wear a pair of fairy wings on your back.
    LOL.....no, it's real mate....try it...I'm sure your dandelions there are the same as ours.....and it works for me.
    Just think about it......if it doesn't work for you, then you can always tell your neighbours that you got the idea from some crazy Aussie....LOL
    Wom

Pam !!!!!

Just found this article on a site from a Victorian college.
    You don't have to get a steam cleaner....just boil the water in a jug or kettle, and pour some on the plant.

Did you know an effective and
    safe way to eradicate weeds is
    to steam or pickle them?

Steam them!
    As a low tech weed control
    method, pour boiling water over
    any unwanted plants. The
    hardiest weed will die instantly
    when coming into contact with
    hot water.
    Many councils are now using this method with large
    pressure steamers on the back
    of trucks to immediately kill
    neighbourhood weeds without
    using expensive and hazardous
    chemicals. You can buy steam
    cleaners cheaply that can be
    carried on the shoulder and a
    quick run around the garden will soon eradicate those
    unwanted plants. If you are a
    good shot, you will not harm any
    wanted ones.

Pickle them!
    A 5-percent concentration of
    vinegar is an effective weed killer
    against annual and perennial
    weeds such as dandelions,
    foxtail and thistle. When applied
    to the weed foliage, the acid in
    the vinegar acts as a contact
    herbicide that kills the plants but
    does not persist in the soil or
    cause water or other pollution.
    For older perennial weeds, you
    may need to apply vinegar more
    than once. Try heating the
    vinegar for added punch.

Wom thank you! I have been hesitant to use weed killer in the back yard because Ripley has been known to eat grass. Though I have never seen him eat a weed, I wouldn't put it past him. Obviously a weed with poison is not something I would want him to try.

The hot water makes sense so I will give it a try. Thank you for the tip! As my neighbors laugh at me I will tell them that my expert landscaper friend from Australia told me about this and remind them that people made fun of Noah when he started to build the ark.

Wow Wom, I've never heard of this! I'll have to tell my mother.
    It would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than the crap she uses, and safer.

Although, Florida weeds may be a bit more used to the hot water. Our hose is almost burning when you first turn it on!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Vinegar, how neat!

I think Roundup's claim to fame is that it breaks down very quickly (within days) to harmless by-products. But, I only use it for the most intractable weeds (poison ivy and burdock). I couldn't give a rip about dandelions or crabgrass.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Even have had success on ridding unwanted trees this way. When we moved in there were a few trees way too close to the foundation to safely pull them out. What we did was saw them off as close to the ground as possible. Then we drilled a few holes straight down into base. Then we poured a few pots of BOILING water down into the holes. (These were large saplings. Almost as tall as a one story house. Not like HUGE trees.)

Great for sidewalk cracks also (unless you're talking Nightshade. ...I'm going to have to try the vinegar suggestion. Any other suggestions welcome.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water!)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.