Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoee just puked!

Zoee just puked!

She was here in the office with me sleeping for the past couple hours. I got up to go get ready to take a shower and she followed me (of course) into the bathroom. Laid down for about 30 seconds, got up walked in a circle and practically ran out of the bathroom. The next thing I hear is a strange sound. So I go to investigate and she is throwing up.....A LOT!!
    What could cause this? She wasn't even doing anything before it happened. Then she looked so sad like she was in trouble or something. Poor thing.
    Should I feed her, or just wait till her morning meal? I'm not going to rush her to the vet or anything....unless it continues, of course. So that's why I posted this in general (since it seems to have more traffic), to see if anyone had any ideas as to what may have caused this. Any ideas would help. Thanks.
    (Boy reading back over this, it is just a jumbled mess. I hope you can understand it. LOL)
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Give it a night's rest and feed a bland meal in the morning. Zoee should be fine the next day My three have barfed more times than I can count (especially Lucky), and it's generally because they ate something 'bad'. It could be something as simple as an herb to something toxic like rat poison. Chances are, she stole some garbage off the side of the streets or something Hope miss Zoee gets better quick!!

Oh no poor miss Zoee!!!!!!!!!!! I would not worry to much Cin unless it continues, just feed her something bland in the morning and see how she does with that. Ginger used to do that every once in a while, and it was just something did not sit right on her tummy, just like with us sometimes. Give her hugs and kisses.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I know she will be fine, but it was just so weird that she just got up and puked.
    And what do you mean by bland meal? I never feed her anything but her dog food. Except once when she had diarrhea for 5 days, then she got rice and cottage cheese.
    Oh, and I went to give her loves and kisses and she smelled like pukies. But I will still love on her anyway, I'll just hold my breath.

Edit to add: As I am here at the computer she is laying on the floor behind me and I can hear her stomach gurgling. Good thing we are not going anywhere this weekend.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My vet has had me fix Ginger before just some plain white rice cooked in some chicken broth and give her that, maybe add little chicken in but they said I did not have to, that the rice is bland enough. Ya sounds like she has got a tummy issue...lol poor baby.

Poor girl. She could have gotten into something that her stomach doesn't agree with.

Plain white rice and chicken breast is an example as a bland meal as mentioned. Just be sure not to add any seasonings/butter as we were to cook for ourselves.

Kiara threw up this morning, but I was completely ready for her to. Silly girl ate half of a rotten lemon in the yard yesterday. Bleck!

Hope Zoee is feeling better soon!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I guess I could make some rice (laziness rearing it's ugly head). But I usually feed her and then go back to sleep on the weekends. LOL Maybe I'll give her a small amount of her food just until I am awake enough to make rice. I'd make it tonight, but I plan on going to bed here soon. Geez, it sounds like all I do is sleep.
    Thanks for the food suggestion.
    My poor baby, she just looks miserable. I hope it will just go away, like a 24 hour bug type thing. (fingers crossed!!)

Oh, Kay, I didn't see your post when I wrote this. Yeah, I tried thinking of what she could have eaten.....oh wait, something just popped in my head. I had purchased a bag of carrots at the store last week and they were pretty icky looking when I got them (all the bags looked icky) and Bruce said that he gave her a carrot today, and there was evidence in the puke. Maybe it was the carrot!!! I'm going to go throw that bag away right now!!

And I'll bet Kiara didn't learn her lesson on eating lemons did she? LOL

Thanks again guys!!

A gurgling tummy isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just the sounds of her digestive system working. Nothing to worry about.

She could have had a furball, or swalled a little bit of toy or something and just needed to have a good hacking. It happens to my guys on the rare occassions, but it's usually nothing to worry about.

I would just give her a little bit to eat tomorrow morning, and see how it stays down. Feel better, Zoee!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I wouldn't even worry about feeding her if you're feeling extra lazy. Sometimes, if I'm ill or if we truly have no food for the pups, I'll put them on a short fast. Dogs are physically able to handle fasts and I know a lot of raw feeders like to do a liquid fast once a month. Skipping a meal is no biggie, IMO

I had actually been leery about fasting so i just didn't do it. (I had been doing a lot of reeding on raw.) Well when King started having all sorts of problems i thought about it but didn't do it. Nothing seemed to be working. (This was before the EVA.) Then i finally put him on a fast once per week and miracle be told it was like he was brand new again!

They create some kind of enzyme when their digestive system is resting that helps their bodies heal.

Since then i swear all and any future dogs of mine will be fasted once per week (unless they have a medical reason why they simply can NOT.)

p.s. in case anyone reads this and considers doing it... expect puking the first month or so on fasting days.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    I wouldn't even worry about feeding her if you're feeling extra lazy. Sometimes, if I'm ill or if we truly have no food for the pups, I'll put them on a short fast. Dogs are physically able to handle fasts and I know a lot of raw feeders like to do a liquid fast once a month. Skipping a meal is no biggie, IMO

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Well, so far so good. I did feed her (because she wanted it, which I thought was a good sign) just a smaller portion this morning. And she hasn't thrown up and she seems to be back to her normal self. Except last night she threw up about 5 (or more) hours after she had her dinner.
    So I will be keeping a close eye on her for the weekend. But I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. And I'm also going to look into the fasting thing. I don't know if I could do it, because she is in such a routine and expects it. But we'll see.

Yay! Hope Zoee continues to feel better. No one ever likes having an ucky tummy.

I don't think any dog that's used to having a meal every day likes starvey day. The first few are almost unbearable because pooch sooooo thinks you forgot about them. It helps a LOT if everyone in the household is on board with this. Doggy needs a little extra love and play on these days and access to clean fresh water is VERY important.

Someone on Pet Talk says their dog only eats once every three days by its own choice! ...even though their other dogs choose to eat every day. I have no idea where the thread is. It didn't surprise me. It is a larger dog. (at Wolf Park they only feed their wolves every three days and even then some of the wolves choose not to eat. In the wild some wolves choose not to eat/hunt for about five days.)

Ok, normally i can find the article in about five minutes. I just spent half an hour looking and can't find it. *harumph* (It was a human health article and talked about studies done on dogs, cats, and other animals. It was the one that finally convinced me because it actually talked about specifics.)

If Zoee does throw up more a few days apart you should definitely get her in to see a vet. Once or twice is usually nothing. If it's happening again and again something's up.

Good Lucky Zoee. I hope you're feeling all better soon. *scritchies*

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee
    Well, so far so good. I did feed her (because she wanted it, which I thought was a good sign) just a smaller portion this morning. And she hasn't thrown up and she seems to be back to her normal self. Except last night she threw up about 5 (or more) hours after she had her dinner.
    So I will be keeping a close eye on her for the weekend. But I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. And I'm also going to look into the fasting thing. I don't know if I could do it, because she is in such a routine and expects it. But we'll see.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

How is miss Zoee feeling?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Zoee is back to normal (whatever that is). I've fed her normally all weekend and no throw ups! Thanks for asking BC_MoM. And thanks for the info crow_noir. Of course if she does it again within the next couple days she will be visiting the white coats, no doubt about that. But she appears to be just fine (and she appeared to be just fine that night she threw up too, so who knows? ). While I fed her normally all weekend she did not get excessive treats. I think I gave her a carrot once a day and that's it.
    Thanks!

Yay :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee
    Zoee is back to normal.