Thread: 16 year old student marries 40 year old

Hybrid View

My best friend at school was 17 when she married our 39 year old English teacher ( he moved schools) . They have been married for forty years now and have three grown children. They are a happy loving family! Love comes in many forms so please don't be judgemental.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

so would it be ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old then?

There are plenty of 16 year olds out there getting pregnant and get stuck raising the baby on their own..... I think a consensual marriage isn't that big a deal..... at 16 you can emancipate yourself and be an adult..... and while it may only be 6 years..... 10 and 16 are a far cry from each other. There is a HUGE amount of developement going on between 10 and 16 and A LOT of things change. In some places 16 is a legal age.....

Do you think if she waited till she was 18 there would be a big difference? It's only two years.... and not really a HUGE 2 years in developement. Why would it be more acceptable at 18? it is not a choice I would have made but that doesn't matter.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by ratdogg81
    so would it be ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old then?
    no it's not ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old.
    in fact it's not ok for a 10 year old to marry another 10 year old either.

the fact is she is 16 not 10.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

I've been thinking about this thred. I think there are 3 ways a 16 year old can fall in love:
    1) they honestly fall in love. Like Wombat's mom, it can be a lasting love.
    2) they fall in love with the idea of being in love. They might not have much self confidence and a guy can take advantage of that. Whether they are 20 years older or the same age, a guy can manipulate their insecurity and make the girl think they are the greatest thing going and the girl falls hard for the guy pretending to be everything she ever wanted. I think this is part of Ashley's thing with Cameron's dad.... I'm sorry to admit she had pooor self-confidence. I think this is also where my coworker's ex-wives fall. He simply wanted the youthful figure they had
    3) they pick a guy who excites them and makes the parents cringe. Teens are good at rebelling and good at picking out boyfriends who make mom and dad see red. (I also swear this is another part of why Ashley chose Cam's father.)

Now, if they fall in love with option 1, there's nothing we can do but sit back and watch their love grow. If they fall in love with #2 or 3, then we can sit back and watch everything fall apart. If we interfere (especially with reason #3) we only make the guy more attactive. It'll only be a matter of time before she realizes her mistake. It'll be up to her how long she take to admit and rectify her mistake. Thankfully Ashley didn't take too long (only 1 year - yahoo the jerk is gone!).

What about Celine Dion's creepy husband?

She's creepy too, but I digress..

------

Mary Kay Letourneau is still married to the kid she "raped"

-------

What would Bear Grylls do?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    What about Celine Dion's creepy husband?

She's creepy too, but I digress..
    You do raise an interesting point.