Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting wisdom teeth removed

Getting wisdom teeth removed

So I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. This is something I just found out about on Friday. I'm absolutely scared to death and really I want to cry(although lately any little thing can set me off). Mostly I'm pissed off because I was suppose to be going to stay at my friend's house Tues.-Thurs. and now I don't think this is possible. I was going to see a friend I haven't seen in months and stay at her house. Can I still go or no? Will it be painful? Has anything bad happened to you or anyone you know while doing this? Please help calm me down, I'm freaked out.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I had mine out last July (the 20th). I didn't have any problems, and it wasn't really that painful. Just uncomfortable. It did hurt pretty badly when I first got up in the mornings, but it wasn't bad throughout the day. After 3 days I was completely back to normal. Make sure you use ice often though. Only you will know whether you're up to going to see your friend or not, as everyone is different and it affects people differently. Good luck!

You will still be able to go to your friend's house. You may be a bit swollen Tuesday, and will have to be careful what you eat, but the swelling goes down pretty rapidly usually. I had them out years ago - they were sideways and aiming for the roots of my molars instead of aiming up. I actually didn't have any sweiing to speak of, where my sister got "chipmonk cheeks" and I had teased her for days five years earlier.

It sounds scarier than it is, honest! Your cheeks will be kind of sore, but it's not like blinding, tear-inducing pain, just annoying for the most part, and they will give you Tylenol or something you can take for the pain, too. Just follow doctor's orders about icing it if you should, and it'll be fine.

Like I said, it may be swollen a bit on Tuesday, but that's no reason not to visit with your friend!

I was told to have at least one days bed rest when I got mine out. But I took a week off cause I didn't want to go to school. I personally was really swollen. It was only uncomfortable in the morning and only hurt for the first day. I agree though just keep iceing it.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Thanks guys, I also did some internet research and saw that other people said it wasn't that bad either. I'm feeling better. I guess I'll just see tomorrow if I'm up to visiting Britt. I really hope so!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I only had one taken out (so far). It was impacted (as are my other 3) and hurt like the dickens when it was removed. Mine are unable to be pulled, they have to be surgically removed. My oral surgeon told me "This is more difficult the older you get" and I'm 35 as of next week. So, part of my problem recovering was also the age factor (according to him).

Be careful not to get anything into the pocket where your tooth was at. No drinking with straws, either. If you need your medication - take it!

That's all my advice.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

To clarify, all mine were surgically removed as well. But I was 18, I think, so the "age factor" was in my favor. The doc who was my oral surgeon had been the one who removed my sister's wisdom teeth, and had done work on my Dad, too, so he was used to our messed-up mouths. My sister actually had one tooth whose root was involved in the jaw bone, so hers were a bigger problem than mine, which were simply sideways. My orthodontist said "Get them out now, or redo 2 years and three months of braces." "Yank 'em," said I!

I'm sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth. They're such a pain in the butt! Mine were removed when I was about 24 or 25 years old. All 4 of mine were impacted, they grew sideways instead of down. With mine I had IV sedation, as they had to cut them out. All of mine were done at one time, and honestly, I am a HUGE wimp and the worst part of it was the IV, which the surgeon tried 5 times to insert before he finally got it in my vain...so I was poked quite a few times. That was the worst part for me! It really wasn't so bad. Make sure you follow the instructions they give you and you'll be fine.

I was actually allergic to the pain meds they gave me, so I ended up just taking extra strength tylenol after the first day and I don't remember much pain at all. There's swelling, but as long as you ice it, it should be fine. Just make sure you ice it and it'll prevent you from getting puffy.

Good luck and you'll be fine. It really isn't as bad as people let up, at least it wasn't for me, and I'm a HUGE wimp.

I had all four of mine out when I was 17. None of them had broke through the skin. I have a bad reaction to being put under so I was sick the first day.
    But I know many people who had no problems at all. In fact, one person went out and had a steak dinner the next night. (not that I suggest something like that, just making a point)
    So it is something you'll just have to play by ear. I hope you are well enough to visit your friend.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Something else that is really soothing, and a good antiseptic, is good old warm salt water!

Check with your dentist on this...he may want a day or so of healing before you do this.

I had mine out when I was 16 - one every 2 weeks. One was slightly impacted. I felt a slight ache, and needed a nap when I got home (two block walk to my dentist!).

hugs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I had all 4 of mine out when I was 18 or so. The way our insurance coverage worked a the time, I had to stay overnight in hospital for coverage. My doc agreed to let me stay the night AFTER the surgery. So my folks didn't have to deal with me; I tend to be a bad patient, I am a big baby to this day.

Icing helps plenty.

Think of it as an extra opportunity to eat all the ice cream you want!

You can put the cold stuff on the inside as well as the outside, ya know?

Everyone feels differently about it... but don't plan on eating solid foods for a while. If you don't handle the pain well sleep will be your best friend.

The pain i felt from the extraction of one was like nothing I've felt before. I tried comparing it to "female" pain. Both are intense, but it's like comparing chocolate cake to tulips. Impossible.

My bad experience was due to an evil surgeon. Most surgeons let you take about a half hour to wake up out of the anesthetic. I was only given five minutes and they pretty much shoved me out the back door into an alley. (Besides him having the bedside manner of an angry mother wolverine anyhow.) I can't believe this guy is the "best" and most recommended in our area.

That was for my bottom.

When i had my top out it was extracted by a really nice dentist and i hardly felt a thing. Other than mouth pain for about two weeks.

Oh and that is the other thing... the bottom one removed by the evil surgeon ended up getting dry socket and i was in pain for other a month.

My wish for you is that the person doing your teeth is very nice and well educated!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I haven't had my teeth removed, but I did have 7 teeth removed at the same time. That wasn't that painful for me. They gave me an IV anesthetic and I didn't feel any pain at all when I woke up. However, I did have a lot of bleeding and having all the gauze in my mouth was uncomfortable to me. It might be different for you.

Anyway, as soon as I got home I took a nap and by the time I woke up, I felt almost fine. The bleeding stopped so I didn't need the gauze in my mouth. I started to eat soup and I was able to chew the 'chunks' that were in there. It wasn't until a few days later I was able to actually eat anything completely solid, like waffles or chicken or anything.

I think you should be able to go to your friend's house tomorrow. Again, I didn't get my wisdom teeth removed, but having 7 teeth removed at the same time is close to that.
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

I had my wisdom tooth taken las April at 33!! And my tooth just couldn't make it to break through the gums cos I had no space for it to grow.

So my dentist took it off, had stitches and was bruised and my face was swolen and did not feel like going to work at all for about a week but can't say I was really in pain!

The only thing that bugged me though was laughing, apart from being painful I kept spitting blood with laughter!!

Luckily I don't have to get mine taken out soon... But I heard if you take an mp3 player to listen to, it's better, because you can't hear what's going on in your mouth ((all the grinding and such)) and you can also relax a bit more.