Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retractable leads going in the bin

Retractable leads going in the bin

Had dogs close to me while I walked them to the field, let them have full length of leads to run around for a while, was about to put them on shorter leads again when they spotted a cat in a bush!!

Couldn't pull them off with leads because they'd got tangled in the bush so I had to haul them both off by the scruffs of their necks. The cat seemed to get a few good scratches in and had gone when I went back to check on the poor little thing.

Tobey and Archie are in no doubt that they are in my bad books! (I know its normal dog behaviour but still....). I feel sick

Will be picking up strong, "normal" leads on my way home. Any suggestions?
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Silly boys, what were you thinking? It's ok, it happens to the best of them at times.

We have a retractable lead for Zoee and I stopped using it for about the same reason. I could not keep good control of her on walks. I find the regualr nylon lead works good. You might want to try a leather one, which may be stronger. Or maybe someone who uses halters find that works better. I've never used one, but want to try something like that with Zoee.
    I'm glad they didn't hurt the kitty. Dogs will be dogs.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I guess its something that neither dog went for me in the chaos! They both walked back home very subdued too

Not sure if you can find them in your neck of the woods but I just bought lupine collar and leash from http://www.lupinepet.com/ altho I got mine off ebay.
    The leash is 6 feet long.

I have a retractable leash that I only use for taking Keegan out on my property for potty breaks. I've had it since I had my greyhound so for at least 7 years b/c Keegan will be 6. I bought if for my greyhound b/c it was the only 'freedom' she had. But when this one breaks - I won't be replacing it. It has definately gotten its money's worth.
    I can definately see the retractable having a purpose for responsible pet owners like you. But I think people should be given a test before getting one. TOOOOOO many people stand around and don't pay attention and allow the dog to roam all however many feet of leash. And think that b/c they are on leash they are ok. I watched this @ a recent doggie event and turned to one of my friends and said yup that is why not everyone should have a retractable leash.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Thanks guys - I feel a bit less like "the dog owner from hell" now.

I bought two braided leads on my way home and have just walked them for about an hour - seems to work pretty well, probably because they are like an extension to my arm. A slight tug and both of them were walking by my side.

This even worked near the garden where they stop to look at bunny and pig - normally its a real effort to stop them pulling but today it was a lot easier. I think the neighbourhood cats are going to be a lot safer from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Thanks guys - I feel a bit less like "the dog owner from hell" now.
    Now you can go back to just being the 'employee from hell'

Seriously, as I told you before, I think even the best trained dogs go a little haywire once in a while. It's just instinct, and it's no reflection on you. You are a great doggy mommy

I only put Bear on one when I'm sitting in the backyard so she can roam a little further.. but for anything else shes on her thick black leash, as shes 160lb & the retractible is for a 60lb dog lol

I don't really care for retractable leashes. they can snap easily especially if you walk big dogs like mine. we just use the nylon ones or the chain ones no, its not a chain its hard to explain it has a handle at the end and it's chain but it clips on the collar. if that makes sense.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Fenway has a retractable leash and he forgets all of his manners when he is on it. Retractable's are not the best leash. If I had a bigger dog, I would use a "normal" leash. Lupine is a good product (made in NH). Fenway has several of their collars & leashes (when we actually use a "normal" leash). To get complete control over your dog, a "normal" leash is the best. IMO.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I was out walking the dogs one Sunday. This was before we got Ebony. Anyway, we were coming up the road and an older gentlemen was walking with his cocker spaniel with a retractable lead tied to his walker.

Jada and Daimond were being good. I thought I could get turned around before the cocker saw us. Wrong. The cocker came running at us. It pulled the poor mans walker out from under him. He went rolling down a hill. This poor man was probably in his late 70's, early 80's. The dog was coming at us full steam ahead, running across the road, pulling the walker with him. The dog wanted to tear my dogs up, I knew he couldn't handle fighting Jada or Diamond. I couldn't let my dogs go to help the poor man, I was busy trying to get his dog away from my dogs.

I yelled at the guy and asked him if he was ok. He had gotten up by then. He said he was. He was yelling at his dog to come, he would not listen. People were driving by, no one was stopping to help.

Finally a lady stopped and got the dog, took the dog and walker back to the man and helped him home. It was awful. I started crying when it was all over. I wonder if that poor man put that lead away after that?

You are not the dog owner from hell. The terrier breed can have a high prey drive, I see it in Ebony at times. You are a GREAT dog owner!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Now you can go back to just being the 'employee from hell'
    Back to what I do best

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments - I really do appreciate your support

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom

But I think people should be given a test before getting one.

TOOOOOO many people stand around and don't pay attention and
    allow the dog to roam all however many feet of leash.

I watched this @ a recent doggie event and turned to one of my friends and said
    "Yup, that is why not everyone should have a retractable leash."

<koff> <koff> ... <sputter>

<snikker>
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

For dogs that don't pull much i prefer the soft woven nylon. (It'll be a more rounded than flat, but not round like rope.)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I HATE retractable leads and just about anyone who uses them, LOL.

While using them, you have EXTREMELY limited control. If your dog suddenly bolts in any direction, it can damage the interior and you can't lock it or retract it anymore. I haven't had luck with any - dollar store versions, OR the ridiculously priced ones.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone