Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty ears *update*

Dirty ears *update*

Jack has extremely dirty ears. I clean them out daily, sometimes twice daily. We were using listerine to clean them out (per vet's recommendation) and went and bought some over the counter cleaners. It doesn't seem to be working and his ears still bother him. They are THICK with black gunk and sometimes bleed a little bit when I clean them.

He was at the vet last month and they looked at them and didn't seem too concerned. But it still bothers me, I wasn't there when my mom took them in so I didn't get a chance to ask questions about it. I'm afraid he's got mites, but that'd mean that the other dogs probably would too, right? Everybody else is fine and ears are squeaky clean.

I'm taking the cats to the vet later today, should I take Jack in or just continue cleaning them out like I am?

Anybody else have dirty ear problems and found any way to keep them clean?
    Last edited by k9krazee; 06-14-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Kiara's got a gunky ear, too. Not bad, but it gets gunky after swimming a lot.

My vet said the solution would be to make her stay out of the water. However, that is not going to happen, so we just make ear cleanings a part of our schedual and deal with it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I would take her along (if you can manage all of them) and ask.

Listerine? I've not heard that one!

I use either Oti-Clens or Malacetic. Both from the vet. You should nothave to clean ears daily, even on flop eared breeds!

Let us know what the vet says, even if you decide not to take her in and just ask while you are in there.

I think retrievers are prone to getting dirty ears and infections because they are water dogs. I would just use the solution once or twice a week because you don't want to over do it. is it the malotic solution? I hope he feels better soon.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Lucys ears get pretty dirty too. I have to clean them a lot.
    I use THESE ear wipes and they work pretty good. I have never had a problem with them. I also use some ear cleaner i got from the vet.

I'd call the vet and see if you can bring the dog in with the cats today. Ears shouldn't get that dirty unless the dog is rolling in the mud and if they are bothering him it may be an ear infection and need antibiotics.

Your vet might need to look at the 'gunk' under a microscope to determine the problem or identify mites. Don't clean out the ears before the appointment so the vet can actually see the 'gunk' that's in there. If your vet STILL doesn't seem concerned then I'd consider a second opinion elsewhere if it were me.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

$150 and 2.5 hours later we have two vaccinated well behaved kitties and 3 different meds for the **** head.

They said it was a good thing I took him in, because it is an ear infection. They gave him Tresaderm, Cephalexin and Prednisone. He looked at the left ear, was confused as to why I brought him in (that one looks great!) and then looked at the right. He was just like "Oooooo yeah, this one is a lot worse!" (duhh, I told you that ) Said to give him the meds as directed and to keep cleaning them out like I have been. We'll see.

The most "exciting" part was when the rotten thing JUMPED OUT OF MY CAR. I could've killed him. We were stopped at a stop sign and he was in the back seat, it's a two door so part of my window is by the back seat, and he jumped for it. Good thing I had a leash on him, he has NEVER done anything like that, and I usually never have a leash. Argh. And then I was trying to reel him back inwhile people stopped at the stop signs were watching, I bet it was a funny sight. Finally I shoved him in the car and off we went. I guess he was making up for how good he was at the vets!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Well i'm glad you got it figured out! I hope his ears get better! Kodie is on Prednisone right now actually for his allergies. Its helped him a lot!
    Nawtee boy for jumping out of the car

Oh Jack, you're supposed to RIDE in the car, not HERD it!

Glad you had the leash!!

[QUOTE=k9krazee]The most "exciting" part was when the rotten thing JUMPED OUT OF MY CAR. I could've killed him.
    a few words, seat belt for that little bugger. and alex has done similar stuff, the punk
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

How scary that he jumped out of the car.

Whoa, I've never heard of a vet prescribing three medications for an ear infection?

They've always given me some sort of medication and then recommended that I got ear flush as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Glad to hear he's on the road to recovery. Those labs & their ears, it's a shame they have so many problems with them.

It's common for them to give you the meds that they did, or at least it is for major infections. Tresederm drops for the ears, cephalexin as an oral antibiotic and the pred to help with swelling & itching.

Kay: For Kiara's ear problems associated with swimming you should use a swimmers ear cleanser. It works GREAT for the dog who swims a lot!
    http://www.vetdepot.com/browseproduc...nt--4-oz..html
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I remember you said Jack was having ear issues over Memorial Day. I'm so glad the vet finally did something. Hope it clears up soon!

And such a nawtee boy for jumping out of the car!!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Oh Jack.. you're such a funny dude!!

How is his ear now after being on the meds for a little while?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Glad they were able to prescribe something that will help.
    Now Jack, you showed us how many tricks you know at the Findlay pic-nic, but pleaase.... "jump" does not mean "jump out of the car"! That's not such a good trick, silly boy.