Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a question please.

Just a question please.

Has anyone used a Humane Trap and what are some tips on how to catch a Tabby Mother?
    I am going out for sardines and Ham Steak tomorrow.
    Any ideas would certainly be welcomed.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Tuna fish is extra-smelly and that may help lure her in. I have never used a humane trap, but Paul's sister has. Tuna fish and patience ...

I have to catch a few of the wild cats around the trailer park. I had no problems in my case, I put it right out on the porch, didnt even cover it and had a cat almost immidiatly after dark. In your case you may need to put something over it since she is used to eating there in the open. You may catch someone else also. I would only put it out when you are able to keep an eye out. If you do catch her you want to get her out as soon as possible. It can be very traumatic and sometimes they will injur themselves, so quickly getting her out would be important. Release her into a small room until someone can come get her. I remember you said someone would take her correct?
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

Gary is she feral or tame? Will she be remaining in the trap for transporting? We use these all the time for trapping our ferals. Place a small amount of tuna or something very smelly in the back of the trap past the trip plate. Be sure to skip a feeding so she is very hungry and will want to go in for the food. Place a towel or part of a sheet over the trap leaving both ends uncovered so she can see through. Once in the trap totally cover it and this will keep her calm as much as possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by K & L
    Gary is she feral or tame? Will she be remaining in the trap for transporting? We use these all the time for trapping our ferals. Place a small amount of tuna or something very smelly in the back of the trap past the trip plate. Be sure to skip a feeding so she is very hungry and will want to go in for the food. Place a towel or part of a sheet over the trap leaving both ends uncovered so she can see through. Once in the trap totally cover it and this will keep her calm as much as possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    K&L gave me this advice when I needed to trap the momma cat and little Decker and it worked like a charm. It's great having an expert on the board!!

Gary, get the tuna in oil, not water. The smell will linger longer.

And you can put a little tiny bit making a trail in through the trap to get her in to the back where the pile is.

You say she is a tabby mom. Did she already have the kittens? Are they weaned? If not, do you know where the babies ARE? If you catch the mom the babies will be at risk until you scoop them up. I just wasn't sure from your post what the full situation is.

I got all my expertise from Lisa (K&L) as well!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

emilysgk wrote
    If you do catch her you want to get her out as soon as possible. It can be very traumatic and sometimes they will injur themselves, so quickly getting her out would be important. Release her into a small room until someone can come get her
    I beg to differ! That could be extreemly dangerous with a feral, if she is a true feral. The vets would rather get them in the trap, it is safer to put them under and less chance of anyone getting hurt if they are in the trap.. You NEVER want a feral in your house around your other kitties.. Only after they are vets checked and tested should you bring them inside your house and NEVER turn them loose in a room and attempt to catch them, they will shred you to pieces!... Now I am talking about 100% feral cats that you know nothing about..

Here is a good place to read how...
    http://www.rmaca.com/trapping.html

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    emilysgk wrote

I beg to differ! That could be extreemly dangerous with a feral, if she is a true feral. The vets would rather get them in the trap, it is safer to put them under and less chance of anyone getting hurt if they are in the trap.. You NEVER want a feral in your house around your other kitties.. Only after they are vets checked and tested should you bring them inside your house and NEVER turn them loose in a room and attempt to catch them, they will shred you to pieces!... Now I am talking about 100% feral cats that you know nothing about..

Here is a good place to read how...
    http://www.rmaca.com/trapping.html
    That is correct!! That's why I asked if she was feral or tame!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Yup!

Keep them in the trap to take them to the vet. Even if the cat has to go without food for a full day, it is safer for both you and the vet.

I don't even set the trap on Friday or Saturday nights because I know I won't be able to get the cat to a vet over the week end.

You might talk to your vet before you set the trap to see if they can 'squeeze in' a feral if you do catch it.

And yes, please be sure there are no young babies that will need her while she is in captivity. It might be better to wait until the kittens (if there are any) are old enough to eat on their own.

Then scoop them up too!

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.

Whose the big orange handsome boy?
    RIP 03-05-07 Ellie

Make sure when you do trap them, that you put a cover over the trap. If mama is feral, it'll keep her calm.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

For Pawla the Big Felllow is Nugget Angel who was a Porch Cat for about 3 yeras until someone shot her in the face and his jaw got infected. I wish I had taken him in now fearl or not as he was a good Cat and desereved a better fate.
    Two false alarms , actually three now.
    One Tabby/White Big Kitten
    A Black Cat Tubby 3?
    And Rufus the Orange Stray who was angry as up to now the Food came without strings or traps.
    As they used to say in the carnival.
    Close but no cigars!!!
    I reset the trap with Steak Bits!!
    That should get some action.

THAT'S AWFUL ABOUT NUGGET! People can be so heartless!!! I think by the time it's over you will have caught every cat in the neighborhood!
    RIP 03-05-07 Ellie