Thread: Cat and New Baby

Cat and New Baby

We have a new baby in the house -- she is one month old today

Our kitty, Mitten, seems interested in the baby -- she sits near baby when baby's in the swing, she sometimes even sits up on her haunches to peer at the baby. She has never tried to swat at or bite the baby.

However, when the baby cries really hard (like when she's hungry), Mitten gets very upset -- her head shoots up if she's napping and she always comes running over. After she comes running over, she starts licking and nibbling on baby's hair....she hasn't actually bitten her but she does lick and nibble baby's hair until I shoo her away. Then she sits next to baby until baby stops crying then she goes back to her nap on her pillow.

Is this maternal instinct or do you think that she is annoyed and will try to hurt the baby? I've tried to find some web links about this sort of behavior but haven't found anything yet --

What do you all think? Mitten always seems to be a very kind cat --- she was nice to my mother in law when she was battling lung cancer and she always kisses me on the nose when I am bathing.

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2005/February/27.html

She also sleeps next to me sometimes -- cheek to cheek or on top of my head. She can get squirrely sometimes and hides in the bushes and springs out at our dogs -- she doesn't have a problem grabbing their legs and hanging on with her mouth (but they have never cried out in pain and just try to shake her off).

Any input would be appreciated -- Mitten is very attached to me and if this is jealous behavior, I would like to try to help Mitten through it and keep baby safe. If she's trying to comfort baby, well that's sweet but I don't know if I should let her near such a young infant

Thanks!

Cutieratterrier

Cats are natural comforters, I'd think that's what she's doing. She probably senses the baby's distress... and is trying to comfort her.

Still, just be very aware when the two are close.

Awww....it sounds like she hears a kitten in distress and wants to groom it! My grown cat Oscar is very attached to me and I get a regular nose/face/hair grooming each morning in bed!

This is a "human kitten" after all! I think it's amazing that she recognizes the tone of your baby's voice!

You might want to watch your cat, sure. There was a thread here about someone worried about the old wives' tale about cats and babies - and there were some cute pictures!

Congratulations on your new arrival!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How lucky your are to have a great babysitter in Mittens!! There are many stories about cats that alerted parents where there was something wrong with the baby, so if Mittens howls or comes running to you, take heed and follow Mittens!!!
    Nine is Fine!!