Thread: Need Some Sleeping Through The Night Help

Need Some Sleeping Through The Night Help

Hello. As a lot of you know we just brought a new addition into our house, Chopper, a very tiny chihuahua who yesterday was 10 weeks old We have had him since Friday. Friday night he slept through the night, he yipped at about 3:30 a.m. twice and went back to sleep until 7 a.m. To our suprise needless to say. Since then it has been a whole other story. He usually whines for the first 10 minutes or so and then settles down but then is back up an hour later or so later, and then I finally just have to put him in our other bathroom. We have tried keeping him awake playing with him and stuff before going to bed to wear him out(without over exhaustion, I so fear hypoglycemia). He is closed in our bathroom at night with his open kennel and access to his food and water (as the vet said night time can be to long without food, he only weighs 1 pound 3 ounces), a litter box(which he is doing very well with ) and a few toys with chew things for teething. Last night it was a little better. We kept him up from 8-10 p.m. with his little chew stick and played with him some, took him out to go potty and put him to bed. He never whined he went straight into his little kennel and went to sleep. He actually slept until 2 a.m. then he started crying (let me tell you I never knew something so small could make so much noise ). I got up and took him outside figuring he wanted to go potty (I want him to know to go out or use the litter box). Well he did both potties and I put him back. He cried for 5 minutes or so and I finally had to move him to our other bathroom because we both had to get up for work at 5. My question is what else can I try. I took a blanket to the breeders house to be put in with his mother for her scent before bringing him home that is in his kennel, he loves our one boxer Duke and wants to always sleep by him(which Duke says no way too, at least right now) so I took one of Dukes blankets and put that in there for his scent. When we put him up to leave I reassure him by going back into the room (while getting ready) so that he never knows when to expect me back, I reassure him with his name and telling him that it is okay but I just do not know what else to do. I cannot allow him to run loose during the night at this time, one he is too small and I worry in the dark he might get stepped on, two he is in the chewing stages, and three he is not completely housebroken yet. So if anyone out there has any suggestions on what to try next please let me know, anything will be greatly appreciated. Tonight I am justing going to probably put him in the other bathroom to start with, maybe if he is not acknowledged at all he will learn he is not getting any attention, even just to go potty outside? Here is a picture attached for anyone who does not know who my little guy is, and thanks to anyone who has suggestions in advance. I have done this before but my Duke was a God Send. He never ever cried, not even his first night away from his siblings and his mommy so I am totally new at the crying part Traci
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2937.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	36050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2944.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	36051  

Oh by the way I work at home during the day so he is near me all the time with the other dogs. He usually sleeps on the floor beside my desk next to Duke. Once in a awhile I will hold him in my lap for short periods. Could he maybe having seperation anxiety from me and I need to close him up for periods during the day even when I am home?

I'm no expert but I'd say stick with the routine for a bit longer - its all new and strange to him.

The alternative is to send him over to me - I'd be happy to let him snuggle with me all night
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    I'm no expert but I'd say stick with the routine for a bit longer - its all new and strange to him.

The alternative is to send him over to me - I'd be happy to let him snuggle with me all night

I told my husband I had an alternative, he could sleep in bed with us. But that is a no go on his part. He was raised that dogs sleep on the floor on their own beds

I think he needs a bit of time to adjust. He has always been sleeping with his littermate and his mom. He hasn't been alone. The first night, he was just exhausted from all the excited and nerves and changes.

No chance Duke wants to stay in with him, eh? Nah, he doesn't want to do the 8 hour babysitter thing.

If he is using the litterbox, then I wouldn't make a big deal about taking him out for potty breaks at night. For his size, he may never be able to go all night without a potty break, so let him know he uses the box at night times.

And yes, he needs to learn he stays all night without cries bringing company and play time.

I do not think he is anxious away from you at night; but from his former doggie family.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    I think he needs a bit of time to adjust. He has always been sleeping with his littermate and his mom. He hasn't been alone. The first night, he was just exhausted from all the excited and nerves and changes.

No chance Duke wants to stay in with him, eh? Nah, he doesn't want to do the 8 hour babysitter thing.

If he is using the litterbox, then I wouldn't make a big deal about taking him out for potty breaks at night. For his size, he may never be able to go all night without a potty break, so let him know he uses the box at night times.

And yes, he needs to learn he stays all night without cries bringing company and play time.

I do not think he is anxious away from you at night; but from his former doggie family.

Good luck.
    Duke sleep with him, are you kidding LOL. He does not mind there being another dog in the house but I think he gets nervous at the fact that he is so small. If the puppy lies by him he is fine as long as the puppy does not touch him to much or try to walk on him while he is lying down, Duke gets up and moves. I wish he would babysit

I will just be persistant and he will not get acknowledge at all even for potty breaks, he will use his box.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I suggest this every time someone has this problem, as it worked wonders for my sanity when Finn was a puppy. He cried a lot for about the first week. I just wore ear plugs. I put my phone alarm on vibrate so that it would wake me every couple to three hours at first, and I would take him out for potty breaks then. But, I completely ignored him otherwise.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Maybe an old fashioned clock would help. It imitates the heartbeat of another dog.

I agree that he needs more time to catch on. Give him another week.

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff
    Maybe an old fashioned clock would help. It imitates the heartbeat of another dog.

I agree that he needs more time to catch on. Give him another week.

Maybe I will try that, my mom might have one. He has all the time he needs to catch on, I just hate that he is stressing himself all out

I know, I know all puppies usually go through this but when I look at how small he is it just seems different It will get better I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions people had of things that worked for them. The clock is a good idea...but so are the ear plugs

I have nothing to add to what everyone else already said, BUT...
    I have to say he is too freaking adorable!!!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by WELOVESPUPPIES
    The clock is a good idea...but so are the ear plugs

I agree with the clock, or something else to soothe him...something with a heartbeat sound...as long as the things you put in with him are safe. But, yeah, the ear plugs saved me. I would have been such a sucker if I'd have had to listen to him cry. He'd have been in my bed the first night!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer