Thread: My Dogs went crazy!!

My Dogs went crazy!!

My Shepherds saw my cat in her crate when we brought her home from the vet and wowie they went nuts!! Spice cut her mouth but seems to be fine now. They knocked out a piece of wall trying tp get at her and my mom thinks they are really screwed up. She said they are vicious. I think it's instinct since they weren't raised with her. She lives inside, the live outside. They wouldn't listen to us they were jumping and trying to bite through the cage although I don't believe they were trying to bite us. We got in between it and are all scratched up. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this kind of thing happening? and also if we got a new dog would they react the same way?

Mercedez my little princess.
    Chet, It's been a while but you have not been forgotten
    Ceasar&Cricket, your legacy goes on.
    Spark's, you are missed.
    Sugar&Spice , my dynamic duo of Shepherd Doggies.

Gosh, I have no advice, I just wanted to wish you luck. I hope that all turns out well.

They're not bad doggies. They are not used to being around the cat, so they are just following their instincts. My 2 shepherds are the same way. Cats are just not their friends and are looked upon as things that are threatening the household. This is a socializing problem.

Have your dogs been through obedience training? If not, go. Try to get a trainer that has diversions to assist in the proper correction. My opinion, Pet Smart is not training.

Do not let them inside with the cat under any circumstance. You will end up missing a pet.

Some GSDs have a high prey drive. Do not let them come in contact with each other. It could be dangerous.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

yeah I know but the main thing I am worried about is a new dog, I mean will they be able to accept him? They lived with our other dog but they were puppies and they grew up with him.

Mercedez my little princess.
    Chet, It's been a while but you have not been forgotten
    Ceasar&Cricket, your legacy goes on.
    Spark's, you are missed.
    Sugar&Spice , my dynamic duo of Shepherd Doggies.

Where are you getting the new dog? They need to be introduced by a behaviorist or someone who knows to keep the leashes loose, etc during a dog intro. It would also be best if they meet on neutral territory. I would also introduce one dog to the new one alone, then introduce the other to the new one, then see how all three together interact. Sometimes adding a third dog to the mix can cause problems, especially with unsocialized dogs.

Your dogs are never allowed inside? I would put the cat away sometimes and allow the dogs to come in and interact with the family. They are very social creatures and would love to come inside as part of the pack.

Good luck and I hope it works out.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya