Thread: Antihistamines for cats

Antihistamines for cats

Hi.

My mom's bigger cat has a chronic uri - it is controlled pretty well with Clavamox or Zythromax. However, Pyka will still let go a sneeze about once a day, and the mucus is pink or has blood in it.

I have suggested that he go on a kitty antihistamine for a few days to give the sinuses a chance to heal - but my mom is the kind who thinks the vet will automatically suggest things.

She DOES listen to PT, though, so would you kindly let me know what antihistamines are okay for kitties?

Thanks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, Smudge's vet recommended chlorpheniramine maleate for his atopia, but he still snores... Apparently cats respond really differently to antihistamines from cat to cat, but at least this one seems to be considered safe at 1 mg BID.

Love, Columbine

I've given Mollie Rose Chlortrimeton for her allergies and it works well. It clears up the runny nose, watery eyes.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My entire fur posse just got over a URI and a couple were on chlorpheniramine and the rest were on cyproheptadine, which has an appetite stimulant in it. That's important if kitty isn't eating because it can't smell due to the URI. And my vet also told me to squirt saline drops in their noses to ease the dryness and stop the bloody noses. Yeah, right. That was fun. I got more on me than in them. But it did help.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11