Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Hear Of This?

Ever Hear Of This?

No Thanks, not for me.

Originally posted: May 31, 2007

Mom wants to eat placenta
    Mother goats do it. Rats do it.

But when Nevada’s Anne Swanson, 30, wanted to eat her child’s placenta after giving birth, the hospital refused to return the organ on the grounds that it contains blood and might carry infectious disease, according to a news brief in The Week.

Though mammals ingest the placenta, the disposable sac that transfers oxygen and nutrients from the mother to the baby and removes waste, humans are a bit more discriminating.

Those who do eat it generally believe it has medicinal properties such as helping with postpartum depression or other pregnancy complications. In Chinese Medicine, the placenta is known as a great life force. Last year, Hawaii became the first state to pass a law allowing hospitals to release placentas for spiritual reasons.

Swanson, who experienced postpartum depression with her first child, and planned to have it dried, ground into a powder and packed into capsules, believes she has the right to her own body part.

“To me, it was a big deal to have it, whether I was using it for medicinal reason or planting it,” she told Annette Wells in a story in the Las Vegas Review Journal.

After a baby is born, a woman’s hormonal level plunges, a situation that can lead to a serious mood crash. The belief is that the nutrient-rich placenta, which contains the hormones progesterone and estrogen, can help alleviate symptoms of depression. The problem is that like any other body part, placentas contain a lot of blood which can carry infectious diseases such as HIV and hepatitis.

My own doctor, Northwestern’s Abbie Roth, wasn’t wild about placenta pills or placenta pie.

“Holy Cow. Don't ever eat the placenta!!! She wrote in an e-mail. “It is horribly contaminated. I've heard of people requesting it to bury it as part of religious practice, but never to eat it! Just say no!!!”

I’m not the least bit tempted.

But I do think if you want your placenta, for whatever reason, you should be able to have it. There are no laws barring hospitals from providing placentas to patients and if she doesn’t have HIV or hepatitis, what’s the risk? Meanwhile, we let people put more troubling things in their mouths every day, including cigarettes and hot dogs.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Have heard of placenta being cooked with onions and eaten but I think I'll just have a salad........

Question: would a vegetarian be able to eat her own placenta?
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Um -- not something I would ever consider, but I think she should be able to do what she wants with it -- and about the diseases, well, it was her body doing that, so what disease will she pass from herself to herself?

Also, don't people eat blood sausage and brains and all kinds of other strange animal parts? I can't see how this would be much worse -- it looks like she was going to be making tablets anyway, its not like she was going to fry it up with some onions like a piece of liver.

EDIT: Just read Brody's Moms post -- LOL same idea about the onions

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Question: would a vegetarian be able to eat her own placenta?
    I'm not sure -- i know that my sister can't digest meat protein anymore since she became a veg'tarian, so it might just them sick. From a 'not eating meat' standpoint (mentally), i guess it would have to depend on the person and their reasons for being a veg'tarian.

quoted by bluefrog
    -- and about the diseases, well, it was her body doing that, so what disease will she pass from herself to herself?

yeah?? I believe what she pushed out is what she already has..

although I know I never would do it, I think we should let her and see what world learns from it.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Well, one of the MANY things I have learned form PT is that the mom cat eats hers and that helps start the milk flowing.

Maybe we don't know all the benefits of eating it, yet?

I've heard of people taking home their tumors, in jars, to "show off." (Don't KNOW anyone hwo did that, thankfully!) So I can see the difference!

One word...

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!

I've also heard some animals eat their young What's next???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......interesting.

So if I ever get liposuction, I should be able to eat my own fat?
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

yeppers,

I heard about that years ago,.

I have washed my hair with a placenta based shampoo...

Check the label.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom

I've also heard some animals eat their young What's next???
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHA!!!!! Baby back ribs!

My nest friend just gave birth and we discussed in detail all aspects of child birth, including placenta, and it grossed us both out. We are pretty opening mind (read weird freaking hippie) and both found eating placentas disgusting.

One of my close friends recently had a baby (home birth) and she was also planning on eating the placenta, not raw but in powder form. However she chicken out but still ate about a quarter size peice (downed it with gatorade) just to say that she did it. While I personally would never want to try it I don't think anything wrong of it. Mammals eat the placenta because it is rich in nutrients and helps them recover after labor it only makes sense that it would do the same for a human seeing as how we are mammals. When I was reading about it after my friend told me she was going to try it, it really does make sense to eat it after labor. However I do agree that it's kind of gross and I would never try it!

As for the hospital I think it's wrong that they wouldn't give the mother the placenta, it belongs to her and she should be free to do what she pleases with it.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Not appropriate. Placentas from hospital deliveries should be discarded the same as any other medical waste. What's to keep a mentally unstable woman from obtaining her placenta and then doing something totally vile and disgusting with it? (Wait, wait... I think I feel a future "Law and Order" or "CSI" episode here ...)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

she chickened out but still ate about a quarter size peice (downed it with gatorade)
    Gatorade??? GATORADE???

If I was gonna chow down on my own innards, you best be sure it'll be with a nice Chianti (Ah, gotta love Hannibal Lector!!) or a fine bottle of top shelf VODKA!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I can't believe I had never heard of it. Not one of those things my Mother
    told me about.

Well, I guess more Doctors should be studying the chemical properties of
    the placenta to come up with drugs to mimic any good effects you might
    experience from it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It's always been my belief that women should be encouraged to eat it. Hello! Vital nutrients!

What bugs me are the comments about infectious diseases. WTF?! It just came from the person who plans on eating it. If it's diseased it makes no difference because the person already has it! UGH!!! +

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.