Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have an idea?

Anyone Have an idea?

Hey Everyone, I'm Rachel and I'm new here. We lost our Mini Schnazuer in January of this year(he drowned in our neighbors pool because they didn't follow the laws and hod no fence) and The whole family would love to have a dog living in the hourse again so i recently brought up getiing a rescue. My parents are against it because they said any dog that needs to be rescued has problems and thats why they are where they are. How can I get them to warm up to the idea?

~Rachel
    Last edited by MissYouSparksworth; 07-15-2002 at 12:38 AM.

Mercedez my little princess.
    Chet, It's been a while but you have not been forgotten
    Ceasar&Cricket, your legacy goes on.
    Spark's, you are missed.
    Sugar&Spice , my dynamic duo of Shepherd Doggies.

Just go to Dog of the Day - link at the bottom of this page, and hit search. Type in rescue, and you'll find many many heart-warming stories of rescue dogs, and you'll find that most of them don't have problems. It's usually the owners, not the dog's fault that they end up homeless!

Think less as "dog rescue", think of it as "fostering a dog". You would be giving it a temporary home where they get loved and cared for, until a permanent home is found.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I don't think we could give it up when it got adopted. We want a dog and it just seems like if we could afford to but one we could afford to rescue one.

Spark's, you are missed.

Actually, you will find many Pet Talkers who have rescue dogs. It is a wonderful feeling to experience helping a dog in need. Perhaps you should look at them as orphans and the shelter an orphanages. It is not the dog's fault he has no home or family to call his own!

I have a rescue right now that I am trying to find a home for. Roxey!

This is the e-mail I wrote them , tell me if you think it will be affective.

Before you decide that you don't want to rescue a dog read this. Both of you have said that we can't have a dog with problems. read this and read it carefully. I want you to know that most rescue dogs are there by no fault of their own. The red italicized words are from the article. The black regular words are my comments.

***First of all, pets in breed rescue are not "misfits" and are usually not defective in any way. They are usually placed in rescue through no fault of their own. Common situations are that an owner dies or becomes incapacitated, a new baby arrives in the family and the previous owners feel they must give the cat or dog up, a move overseas or across country, or people who got a pet without thinking about the fifteen year plus commitment that pet ownership requires. In some cases, a pet is placed because of an abuse situation, and special care is taken before an adoption can take place.

Those are all reasons I'm sure you guys never thought about before you said we can't get a dog with problems

***First off, the dogs are always evaluated for adaptability. Known biters, aggressive dogs or pets who are simply too ill to be adopted are not offered to new families. "Borderline" pets are offered for adoption within strict guidelines such as no children, no other pets, or fenced yards only (dogs - cats are almost always adopted with an "indoor only" clause).

If a dog can't be placed in a home where the people leave a lot they will tell you. These people want the best for these animas or they would not be putting some much time and effort into a rescue which is expensive and time consuming

***Dogs and cats are given any necessary veterinary care before adoption. For example, in some parts of the country, heartworm is epidemic, and a dog will need to be treated for heartworm and placed on preventive medication before adoption. In nearly every case, the pet will be spayed or neutered before adoption.

Technically you will know what problems this dog has before you get it and it will be up on it's shots and fixed.

***Why would you consider a rescue adult instead of a puppy?
    Well, first off, for dogs you'd usually get an adult whose chewing phase, housebreaking phase and general puppy wildness are gone. Your dog may come pre-trained, and might even know a few tricks. You would have a good idea of the individual personality. Last, but not least, you would be giving a deserving dog or cat a good home.

Mom, you are always talking about a dogs personality. So that is part of it you would benefit from. Dad, do you remember Sparky's puppy stage?? He was a booger. He chewed everything including my CD player (I'm still a little bitter hehe JK <~ Just kidding in case you didn't know) . You were the one who said we wouldn't adopt or rescue because they would chew up our house.

***Usually, breed rescue will get pets that are just past the "cute puppy" stage. So, you'd still have lots of growth time left in your rescue.

Mom you said you didn't want a dog older than a year. What if you got a 1 1/2 year old or maybe 7 months? Couldn't you resolve your inner conflict knowing that you saved a dog, changed the world, and are a better person for it? That's what I'm here to do make a difference and if this is one way to do I will try and try as I can to make you understand the importance of this to me. I love you both, just think about it

~Rachel

Spark's, you are missed.

Reconsider - and get a rescue animal

Hi, and welcome.

Just like anything else, there are many different reasons for pets to be at the shelters/rescues. Not all are bad, not all are stays and some are just there because of an unfortunate event such as their owner moving and not being able to take them/it along and sometimes it is due to the death of the owner....sometimes allergies...you name it. Most shelters will give you their opinion of the animal after they observe it for several days. When you see an animal at the shelter, please remember how much stress the poor thing is enduring by being there and really look beyond some minor behavior problems. Just look for the traits you may want in a dog/pet and ask lots of questions.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice breeders out there too, but there are lots of wonderful doggies in need of good homes at the shelters and rescue places.

Good luck, welcome and keep us up on what you plan on doing about the loss of your doggie.

Sparksworth was a great dog and he brought alot of warth and comfort to our home, we want hs legacy to live on through the next dog. We know this dog will have a different personality but I want another and so does my brother.

Spark's, you are missed.

I think your letter was great, Rachel. It looks like you have been doing your homework

I hope and pray that your parents see things the way you do it. You guys will be able to save a life!!! How cool!

Rachel:
    I think your letter to your parents is wonderful. I do hope you can convince them to rescue a pup from a shelter. As Karen, the founder of Pet of the Day, said "There's nothing wrong with the dog, most of the times it's the owner's fault." There are, sometimes, circumstances beyond a person's control that require that a dog be turned to a shelter. But in the majority of cases the reasons are so stupid, or mean, that make your hair stand on end. How about turning in a pup because his color doesn't match the new furniture. Believe it or not, it happened!
    If your parents want a specific breed, there are rescue organizations for every breed on the books. Take a look on the Web and good luck. Please let us know how you are doing.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Rachel,
    Your letter is wonderful. You are very persuasive. If I didn't have so many pets already, I would want to adopt one from a shelter. Good luck. I hope you get a dog soon!
    Mom of 5 dogs, 6 cats, a bird, and a donkey!
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291557495

All you have to do is spend a little time on Pet Talk, and have your parents read some of the posts about the heartwarming stories, and sad stories of animals that are taken in through rescue to become a believer. You already are, I can tell. And, there are many, many pure bred rescues who need adoptive families just like the shelters. We can only save them one at a time, but giving them a second chance is a step in the right direction.

Best of luck, Rachel, and welcome to Pet Talk!

Welcome to Pet Talk Rachel! I think it is wonderful that you not only want another dog, bt want to save the life of one. In one way or another all 5 of "my" dogs ( my 2 and my parents 3) are rescues...2 were resuced from the farms they were born to with unspayed mothers, and not being cared for, 1 was the puppy of a rescue dog who was gotten rid of becuase she got pregnant, and 2 were from shelters. They are all very adorable and great dogs. Good luck!

Rachel,

Your letter was GREAT! I don't think they'll be able to come up with much of an argument against that. I just want to tell you that my rescued dogs are my heart and my life. I could not ask for more faithful, loving creatures. I would gush on about them but I know everyone is sick of it by now

Good luck in your battle and let us know if you need any help. Its worth the effort I promise!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Good letter! I hope your parents and you get the chance to save a needy pup. One tip - If they are worried about chewing, get a crate. My dogs both have them. They even like them!

Just so your parents know, this is the type of dog you can find in a shelter. Addie is extremely intelligent, obediant, loyal, sweet, curious, and healthy! Every time I look in her eyes, I see how thankful she is to me for saving her from the hell that was her life. She is my heart.