Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Grounds as Plant fertilizer?

Coffee Grounds as Plant fertilizer?

A question to all the wonderful PT gardeners .... has anyone used coffee grounds, mixed with compost or soil, to fertilizer their garden plants, containers, etc.? Apparently, this is an environmentally friendly way to feed plants

I would love to hear about your experience - how much grounds do you mix with how much soil and how frequently do you use this mix to feed your plants?

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I heard about that, too, but never tried it myself. Maybe anyone else knows?

I'd also like to know whether it would be toxic for cats (because for that reason, I never use fertilizer for my poor plants).

Kirsten

I don't know about the toxicity for felines, but I have a friend at work who religiously gathers the coffee grounds from our coffee pot in the shop for his wife's flower beds.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    When we lived in Mississippi, our neighbor raised prize-winning roses and always used coffee grounds. She had Boston Terriers and cats and none of them were affected. But, my understanding is that it didn't fertilize -- it raised the acid content of the soil.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 05-20-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

LOH and Kuhio,

Thanks for the info - perhaps java enrichs the soil rather than fertilizes it - I'll have to test it out with container plants.
    Yours in Whiskers

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I have wondered about this also and hopefully one of our PT gardeners can share some experience. In the meantime, I googled and found an interesting article about uses for coffee beans and grounds.

LOL -- i was just talking about this with my friend today, and she puts coffee grinds and tea leaves in the compost heap.

Aparently, if you go to Starbucks and some of the tea stores in the mall, you can get all the coffee grinds and tea leaves you want for free, since they go through so much in a day making drinks for customers.

Either fortunately or unfortunately, i have as much Alpaca-Pellet manure that one could ever want -- but on a postive note, its chock full of nitrogen and excellent for plants

Another great plant fertilizer is eggshells. Whenever you make breakfast or use eggs, toss the shells in a jug of water. Water your plants with the mixture. After a while it can smell pretty nasty, but it works. The whites have tons of nutrients that's good for plants and it's not toxic to pets.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Another great plant fertilizer is eggshells. Whenever you make breakfast or use eggs, toss the shells in a jug of water. Water your plants with the mixture. After a while it can smell pretty nasty, but it works. The whites have tons of nutrients that's good for plants and it's not toxic to pets.

Donna

I've heard about using eggshells too - it works does it??? Amazing the things we can recycle if we put our minds to it
    Yours in Whiskers

• Lao Tzu

Bengalz,

It sure does!!

BTW, where did you get this saying:

I'm not young enough to know everything
    My father used to say that ALL the time!! I thought he was the one who originated it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Bengalz,

It sure does!!

BTW, where did you get this saying:

My father used to say that ALL the time!! I thought he was the one who originated it.

LOLOL Perhaps he was the Author!! As far as I know the Author is "unknown" Your Daddy was a wise man
    Yours in Whiskers

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    Aparently, if you go to Starbucks and some of the tea stores in the mall, you can get all the coffee grinds and tea leaves you want for free
    I've never used coffee grounds for my garden, but I work at a coffee shop and we never seem to have enough used coffee grounds to go around! We have at least 5 customers a day come and clear us out of our grounds.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Yes! Coffee ground and eggshells are *wonderful* for compost heaps. The only downside is how long it takes to decompose them, but that depends a lot on the individual compost heap and how "hot" it is (that relies on how well you compost). You have to keep a proper ratio of browns and greens, though, so just throwing a bunch of coffee grounds on your plants won't necessarily be the optimum

There is a gentlemen at work who takes used coffee grounds and takes them home to use as fertilizer. He SWEARS by it!

facebook

My husband has been putting coffee grounds on my flower beds. I really didn't understand why he was doing it though. Now I know why. LOL, I have a lot of coffee grounds, I drink lots of coffee, I love the stuff!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!