Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: This may be Babys last week...

This may be Babys last week...

For those of you know dont know the whole story you can read it here..
    CLICK HERE!
    I thought giving her away would have been the hardest thing.. BUT, We took Baby to the vet again because her infection has gotten WAYY worse. She has (what feels like) water, and gas bubbles under her skin.
    It used to just be along the right side of her rib cage, but now it has spread throughout her whole ribcage, and down both front legs, also along her spine to her tail!!!!! This is just horrid!!!

The vet gave us some heavy duty antiboitics to give to baby, a higher dosage then he gave us two days ago. He said; if it doesn't clear up, or if it spreads anymore she WILL have to be put down !!!! I Never wanted this for poor Baby Blue, Why did she have to attack Tikeya in the first placE??

The vet said the infection that is spreading throughout Baby usually is common and extremely fatal for large dogs, it is also fatal in horses.. I prey that she heals up .. I love her soo much, we all do .. And This is just the worse news..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

OMG. What infection IS this?

Poor Baby - PT Prayers that she recovers and has a chance with a new family who understands and loves her!

PT Prayers have done great things, and can again!

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks so much, I have dried so much these last couple days.. I really hope this stupid infection stops !!!

She will be in our prayers, poor Baby!

what kind of infenction is it?? maybe that's why she was acting aggressive because she doesn't feel well? Baby will be in my prayers. (((Baby)))
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I have no idea what the infection scientific name is called, I know its a soft tissue infection. The vet said what happens is the dog will start getting a watery fluid under her skin around and near the wound. It feels like a water bed when you touch it, and it makes a crackling noise like there is air in the fluid.
    It will rapidly spread throughout the dog, infecting the rest of the body. Eventually the dog will baloon up and it will attack her internal organs. He said it is VERY painfull for the animal to indure the infection spreading.. It started because of a wound baby recieved during the dog fight. It wasn't there before she attacked Tikeya. It started rapidly spreading ever since the fight.

Please prey for our poor Baby girl.. I hope these antibiotics kick in soon

She has three different pills to take. Two of them she takes twice a day, and the other one is once a day..... My poor girl is drugged up, I just hope its killing that infection..

OH NO!! Poor Baby! She will be in my thoughts. I hope she can beat this infection.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh gosh, I can't believe this I do hope the meds work and she gets better asap.
    Lots of prayers to sweet Baby.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

My cat Tiki got that or at least a similar infection when he was attacked last fall. (I also can't remember the name of it). Thank god we got his cleared up in just a couple days (took a little longer for all the air to be re-absorbed into his system though). Our thoughts are with you.
    What antibiotics is she on?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh no . Poor Baby girl.. I will pray hard for her, I hope the antibiotics work quickly. What a nightmare .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    My cat Tiki got that or at least a similar infection when he was attacked last fall. (I also can't remember the name of it). Thank god we got his cleared up in just a couple days (took a little longer for all the air to be re-absorbed into his system though). Our thoughts are with you.
    What antibiotics is she on?
    The names of the antiboitics are Amoxil capsule 500MG, Metronidazole tabs 250 MG. There is one more heavy duty antibiotic that we are giving her, My mom put it away somwhere I cant find it.

The other one is probably Cephalexin. It's used for puncture wounds(Ask me how I know that and why I have a stash of it on hand at all times!)

I've had two dogs with this same type of infection after a simple puncture wound. One from a fight and one from poking herself on a stick! My vet never mentioned putting them down. He did say it was very serious and had to be treated aggressively. IV antiobiotics were an option if the pills didn't work fast enough.

Did he give Baby anything for pain control?

I hope she responds well and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tikeyas_mom
    For those of you know dont know the whole story you can read it here..
    CLICK HERE!
    I thought giving her away would have been the hardest thing.. BUT, We took Baby to the vet again because her infection has gotten WAYY worse. She has (what feels like) water, and gas bubbles under her skin.
    It used to just be along the right side of her rib cage, but now it has spread throughout her whole ribcage, and down both front legs, also along her spine to her tail!!!!! This is just horrid!!!

The vet gave us some heavy duty antiboitics to give to baby, a higher dosage then he gave us two days ago. He said; if it doesn't clear up, or if it spreads anymore she WILL have to be put down !!!! I Never wanted this for poor Baby Blue, Why did she have to attack Tikeya in the first placE??

The vet said the infection that is spreading throughout Baby usually is common and extremely fatal for large dogs, it is also fatal in horses.. I prey that she heals up .. I love her soo much, we all do .. And This is just the worse news..
    The vet would have been more accurate in saying: The infection that is spreading will commonly spread, and be fatal if treated with the wrong antibiotics.

Amoxicillin a drug in the class of Penicillins is almost worthless for humans, and for most animals due to antibiotic resistance. The bacterial produce a β-lactamase that inactivates the penicillin drugs. In answer to this problem Clavamox was created, which consists of Amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid which inactivates the β-lactamase before it can inactivate the Amoxicillin. Increasing the dose of Amoxicillin alone, given likely bacterial resistance, is next to worthless.

The Metronidazole was a good try in combating anaerobic bacteria in the wound. The air bubbles or gas being produced are signs of an anaerobic infection. However the fact it continues to expand indicates antibiotic resistance to Metronidazole, and/or possible aerobic bacteria interfering. A bite wound results in a mixed bacteria infection.

At this stage with the infection for all purposes systemic, the dog needs IV and/or IM injections of such drugs as Baytril or one of the newer quinolones, a second-generation cephalosporin (eg, cefoxitin, not cephelexin), and possibly clindamycin. It could cause intestinal problems such as bacterial overgrowth, but that is minor compared to the current life threatening infection. In another words you need the heavy duty drugs and multiple ones.

If the infection continues unabated, then sooner or later it will hit the major organs. Presumably if you measured your dog's current temperature, with the toxins being produced it wouldn't be too surprising to find a 103+ degree temperature. If the major organs get hit, and start to shut down the dog's temperature will dive to 95, and death will occur shortly there after. The dog should be hospitalized at a Vet Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    The vet would have been more accurate in saying: The infection that is spreading will commonly spread, and be fatal if treated with the wrong antibiotics.

Amoxicillin a drug in the class of Penicillins is almost worthless for humans, and for most animals due to antibiotic resistance. The bacterial produce a β-lactamase that inactivates the penicillin drugs. In answer to this problem Clavamox was created, which consists of Amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid which inactivates the β-lactamase before it can inactivate the Amoxicillin. Increasing the dose of Amoxicillin alone, given likely bacterial resistance, is next to worthless.

The Metronidazole was a good try in combating anaerobic bacteria in the wound. The air bubbles or gas being produced are signs of an anaerobic infection. However the fact it continues to expand indicates antibiotic resistance to Metronidazole, and/or possible aerobic bacteria interfering. A bite wound results in a mixed bacteria infection.

At this stage with the infection for all purposes systemic, the dog needs IV and/or IM injections of such drugs as Baytril or one of the newer quinolones, a second-generation cephalosporin (eg, cefoxitin, not cephelexin), and possibly clindamycin. It could cause intestinal problems such as bacterial overgrowth, but that is minor compared to the current life threatening infection. In another words you need the heavy duty drugs and multiple ones.

If the infection continues unabated, then sooner or later it will hit the major organs. Presumably if you measured your dog's current temperature, with the toxins being produced it wouldn't be too surprising to find a 103+ degree temperature. If the major organs get hit, and start to shut down the dog's temperature will dive to 95, and death will occur shortly there after. The dog should be hospitalized at a Vet Hospital.
    Are you a vet?
    I really only understood half the stuff you said in this post..
    I am sure that the two different vets I went to know what they are doing/talking about... I hope they do anyways, because if what your saying is tru, then why wouldnt they keep her hospitalized instead of sending us home with little-no hope.

Oh no, that sounds horrible. Baby will be in our prayers.