Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Neither of my RB collies ever pulled. My golden, however, is another story .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

how about a Newfie or swiss mountain dog I dont know if they are too hyper...boston terriers and bull dgos dont seem to hyper either... mix breeds are pretty good also! good luck

I am generaly speaking about borders when I say hyper!

We know about the 40 mile per hour couch potatos (how they put it at our local shelter) We looked at some, but they were no good.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Whisk_Luva
    I am generaly speaking about borders when I say hyper!

We know about the 40 mile per hour couch potatos (how they put it at our local shelter) We looked at some, but they were no good.
    no good? what do you mean by that?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I dont know really. My mum doesnt feel confident with them. Also all the ones in the shelters tend to be abused or some big issue
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I dont know really. My mum doesnt feel confident with them. Also all the ones in the shelters tend to be abused or some big issue
    I volunteer at my local animal shelter and I work with abused dogs and ones that have "issues". it's not that hard to work with, honestly. you just have to have a lot of love to offer the dog and of course patience and the feeling that you gain the trust of a dog and are helping the dog overcome something horrible makes you feel good and even better when you find them a great home. Of course, the dog isn't going to get over it in one night, but you just have to be patient and gain the dog's trust and give the dog reassurance that nobody is going to hurt them again. IMO that wasn't a cool comment of you to say they aren't good enough.

Its not that. When I am older I will take the abused ones in a second but this would be our FIRST dog. We just couldnt cope... my mum certainly couldnt cope.
    -Ellie

There are lots of 'older' dogs that would make good pets/friends. If I were you I'd DEFINITELY just go to the shelter and get a dog there. I don't think you guys would enjoy a puppy since you don't want a dog that is hyper etc... There are millions of dog that need homes.

What do you mean 'no good.' Dogs are like people. No one is any better than anybody else. Everyone is different and has different opinions, but we're all equal and that's how dogs are. They're are different kinds, but they still have a heart that loves unconditionally.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

What about a three legged dog? I heard that there is a rescue some where in Europe that takes in only dogs with less than four legs. There was an article last year talking about how these unfortunate pups are less likely to be adopted in Europe than in other animal loving countries. The way of thinking being that they are "broken." That's far from the truth and for many of them that is their only issue.

I had a three legged cat and let me tell you... she was the fastest cat i've even known.

I tried looking the rescue up online, but i have no idea what it's called and had no luck.

(Edit: after i had no luck trying to find that particular one then i searched the following.) I typed "Wiltshire dog rescue" into GoodSearch and came up with a lot of rescues. You could try contacting a few and let them know the situation. I'm sure they could help your family find the right dog.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

We have contacted some shelters. One of them was so rude us! We dont think we will be going there again. The others were really nice though alot of them were very small and didnt have the type of dog we were looking for...

A 3 legged pet makes no difference to us. They are no different to other pets.

Genny I ssaid earlier in the post about greyhounds:

-Ellie

why do you keep on saying that? they need love, too and it's not their fault they were abused or have "issues". even if you got a dog from a breeder, which I think you shouldn't and adopt one from a shelter or rescue that dog will have some kind of "issue" too. would you be willing to work with that dog, too?

I know but my last comment about that says:

Its not that. When I am older I will take the abused ones in a second but this would be our FIRST dog. We just couldnt cope... my mum certainly couldnt cope.

We are not planning for a dog from a breeder. We know every dog will have issues but not as big also the dogs state that they need experienced owners- not good for first dog owner like us. That is why, so in some ways we cant even help not taking abused ones. Also you dont really know my mums past that well. She could NOT cope.
    -Ellie

look, some of you people are MISSING THE POINT. Whisk_luva is my best friend in life, i have been to her house, met her family etc..
    at the moment, she can't take in an abused dog or a dog with issues because it is their first dog and they would'nt know how to take care of a dog with a troubled past!
    for the first few years i had my RB friend Blue, we could barely touch him because he was so badly beaten- ellies (whisk_luva) family can't take in a dog with a problem, her mum couldn't cope because of a heath issue!
    Ellies family knows that abused dogs need love too, but they couldn't cope as first time dog owners, and they wouldn't know how to give the necessary attention and special care needed to a troubled dog.

thank you so much for the sig ellie! (whisk_luva)
    Jades animal friends;Pickle;RB Blue;RB Purple;Mitz
    RB Peanuts;RB Sweetie;Puss Puss;William
    RB Ripple- 1996-23/7/2007;Treacle;Spot;Red

"there is no trouble from which a cat can't exume itself from by using a little timely purring."
    Ripple- 1996(?)-2007

Thank you Jade!

So do you understand why we cant get an abused dog now?
    -Ellie

Just to clear up on the abused dog part...

At my shelter at least, the dogs are categorised in a traffic system; green, amber and red. The green ones are the gentlest and best suited to families, the reds need more experienced and patient owners, and the ambers are somewhere in between.

It won't be exactly the same system for all UK shelters, but I can guarantee that ALL rescue dogs' personalities and traits will be different. If you explain to the RSPCA workers that it will be your first dog and you are looking for a calm, gentle dog, then they will be more than happy to point you in the direction of one. Remember, the RSPCA is just as concerned about the dog's well-being as they are yours, if they think a dog isn't suitable for you, then they will advise you not to rehome it!

Good luck with your decision.

Zimbabwe 07/13