Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Uh.... dunno lol!

I dont think is does... *Sigh*
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    British Columbia, Alberta, and Novia Scotia are any of those in England?
    Those are all in Canada.

I have never found the king charles to be yappy. I've actually found them to be very quiet and sweet dogs. I've only met a few English cockers and haven't enjoyed my experience with them so far. I much prefer the American cocker. Please remember -- that just because cockers are not necessarily "hyper," does not mean that they don't need ALOT of exercise. They were originally bred to be very active and energetic dogs, and though they may not ask to go for a walk, they NEED to be walked often or they may become overweight and unhealthy or destructive.
    I've been BOO'd!

I was thinking--what about a Bichon Frise? I know some people who have a few of them and they are really sweet and gentle dogs. I just love them to death!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Yep! I know all about there exercing stuff!

My mum still seems to think that kc spaniels are yappy...

Anyone else tell me anything aobut them?

Any other good breeds?
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Dont even go there

We know of many yappy bichons
    -Ellie

Any gundog or working breed will be quite hyper as they were bred to run or hunt! CKC spaniels are nice dogs, although all the ones I have known were prone to weight gain and had heart and breathing difficulties in their twilight years.

I too recommend rescuing, perhaps for your first dog it would be best to find yourself a nice crossbreed. They are generally longer-lived than purebreds and come in a huge variety! When you see unwanted animals every week like I do and a few other people on these boards (such as Krista, I know she's a volunteer too ) you realise just how important rescuing is. Plus, you'll save yourself a lot of money by rescuing, pedigree pups can start from £600 and up, whereas you can get yourself a lab from a shelter for about £100.

Zimbabwe 07/13

How about an English Bulldog? They aren't much for training, but they're not huge pullers like Goldens, definitely not hyper, and don't have much of a prey drive save for cats. They're also very tolerant family pets and extremely loving. They are some fugly little dogs though.

Quote Originally Posted by theterrierman
    How about an English Bulldog? They aren't much for training, but they're not huge pullers like Goldens, definitely not hyper, and don't have much of a prey drive save for cats. They're also very tolerant family pets and extremely loving. They are some fugly little dogs though.
    Ah yes, just as I logged off PT yesterday I remembered bulldogs. They are very affectionate and loyal dogs with a laid-back attitude.We had one in the shelter not so long ago, he was a special needs bullie, and he was one of the sweetest and gentlest dogs I have come across to date.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Mum Hates them. I dont know why.
    -Ellie

Bichons aren't at all yappy if brought up properly and trained right. I love them. Perhaps a miniature Poodle? Very similar to Bichons I think (well, the ones I've met have been), and again, not at all yappy if raised properly.

What breeds does your family like though, aside from the English Cocker?

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

This is hard to find what kindof dog ya'll might like--your parents don't like A LOT of dogs! It might help everyone be able to help you if you know like what kind of dog you might want--like from the sporting group, toy, herding....like that kinda....
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

We like... Golden retrievers, cocker spaniels, labradors etc. We do like lots but they would be no good for us! Like... Nova scotia duck tolling retrievers, collies etc. They dont relly like the curly haired breeds and the tough looking dogs (pit bull and bull dogs etc)
    -Ellie

King charles... my mum thinks there very yappy? Are they? Because we like the look of them and they seem ok apart from that.
    I know quite a few Cavies and none are at all yappy, infact they are the oppersite and are very quiet, sweet dogs.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Remember that any dog can be different than "the breed" expectations. The Cavalier on my street is named Jasper - and he loves to (try to) chase slow-moving cars. Odd, and could be dangerous, thankfully everyone on the street knows about it, AND he's always on a leash and usually gets picked up when cars approach. I have never, however, heard him bark.

Just keep visiting the shelter - you never know who will capture all your hearts!

Certainly I'd reccomend a full-grown dog of some breed, to eliminate the troubles of puppyhood - yappiness often being one of them!

By the lead thing we mean kinda... the breed is usually good on the lead, like collies are big and bouncy so they often pull but a golden retriever isnt as bouncy so wouldnt pull as much.
    I'm assuming since you didn't specify Border or Beardie etc., that you're referring to Rough and Smooth Collies... the Lassie type... Which are the ones usually referred to as just Collies.

In which case, you're characterization is way off. Hyper, Bouncy or heavy pullers would in no way describe a Collie. Since they're a herding breed they do need exercise, but I have no problem tiring my 2 Collies out with 5 mins of frisbee. They pace themselves exercise wise, so they could last a long time out in the field herding or walking with you, but frenetic, hyper, bouncy.. uh no.. they won't sustain that for long. I wish they would. I'd be up for longer the 5 mins of frisbee at a time, but it just isn't to be with a Collie.

As to pulling, they're a soft breed. Any resistance and they will stop what they're doing. So they're very easy to train to heel and are not known to be heavy pullers on the leash or even in games like tug of war. Very gentile. My 20Lb terrier can beat them out in tug and they out weigh him by 60+ Lbs.

Anywho, I'm in no way recommending a Collie to you, because based on other statements you've made in the thread, they'd be way too Barky for you. But for others who may be reading the thread, I didn't want them to go away with the wrong impression of Collies, generally speaking.

If you want a quiet, laid back breed, consider a Rescue Greyhound. They're known as the fastest Couch Potato.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards