Thread: My dog needs extra potty help!

Question My dog needs extra potty help!

Any ideas on how to get my 1 year old Cockapoo Amaya to go "potty" on her puppy pads when I am NOT around She goes fine when I am home.

I've tried standing by her side and waiting for her to go first thing in the morning but she just sits there and stares at me. If I look away or go to the bathroom to get ready for work, she'll take advantage and go on the area rug in the kitchen!

Background info:
    We were unable to train her to go "potty" outside. She just wouldnt go even if we had her out for hours in the park. The trainer at our local Petsmart even took her home for a week but nothing. I dont mind her going inside, she isnt a big dog. I just want her to be consistent with going on the pads all the time!

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried crate training her? Is she confined at all while you are not home?

Unhappy Crate Training

I bought her a crate the day I brought her home and she never stopped crying once I closed the crate door. Trust me, I tried to ignore her... She litteraly cried for hours.

She is only confined to the living room and kitchen area. I also bought a grate to go on the doorway so she wouldnt go into the living room but she learned how to jump it, so i put it higher and she learned to go underneath it. Still, the pads could be right by her side and she would go on the floor.

Retry crate training. At a year old, she should "get" potty training by now, so it's time for drastic measures! Don;t think of crating her as cruel - dogs (once they get used to the concept) actually like having a little "cave" of their own, and won;t soil it.

Thats a good idea. I actually still have the crate after so much time too. She might not be able to stick it out all day but we'll try periods at a time for a while and see how that goes.

Thank you so much Karen!

I read this thing about potty training puppies. If the dog goes to the bathroom in the house, wipe/pick up whatever she does and place it where you would like her to go. Say she goes to the bathroom in your bedroom, but you want her the go on the pads. Wipe up the urine or poo and place it on the pad. But make sure you clean the bad spot to go to the bathroom so she doesn't go there again.
    Dogs like to go in the same spot almost everytime. If you want her to go on the pads, then place her urine or poo on it and soon she will go there! Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Consider putting a towel or light weight blanket over the crate, to make it more "cave like." Even if it is just the back portion. See if thath makes any difference.

Here are 2 links with info on house training. There is probably nothing there you don't already know, but take a peak just in case.

This one is a valuable educational resource, and I use this one a lot. Scroll down, watching the middle column, until you get to Puppy Info. There is "house training 101," and the tether method, either of which may be of interest to you.

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/index....ational%20mark

Here is another web link on training:

http://www.bichon.org/crate.htm

Best wishes. Sandie

Cool

The problem is that she does go on the puppy pads when i am home. I am thinking that has to do with the fact that I give her a treat every time she goes on the pad. When I am not home, she gets no treat so she doesnt care.

I clean the area rugs once a week with the enzyme solution and a rug cleaner. I use a spot bot on all other days to just clean the spot I saw.

I took her out to the park today and tired her out before coming home and putting her in the crate. She didnt protest too much but I was sure to drain her of her energy this time.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyGurl
    I read this thing about potty training puppies. If the dog goes to the bathroom in the house, wipe/pick up whatever she does and place it where you would like her to go. Say she goes to the bathroom in your bedroom, but you want her the go on the pads. Wipe up the urine or poo and place it on the pad. But make sure you clean the bad spot to go to the bathroom so she doesn't go there again.
    Dogs like to go in the same spot almost everytime. If you want her to go on the pads, then place her urine or poo on it and soon she will go there! Hope this helps. Good luck!
    I love this advise... so it really works? I have a 10 month old Dachshund. I got him for Mother's day. He is the best dog I have ever had... no barking, calm, follows us around yet we have a problem with him going to the bathroom on a leash. Question: Since we brought him home on Saturday he has not pooped, how long should I let him go before becoming worried? He eats and drinks fine... same food.

I would say 3 days max, so wait until tonight and go to the vet tomorrow. If he is eating and drinking, it has to come out...

OR maybe he has been going and you just havent found it yet! haha

puppy pads

Have you tried using pheromones? If you are using puppy pads, you should also buy some pheromones and spray it on the pad.
    It is supposed to attract your pet to the pad and help her/him to relieve there. May be helpful.

Also if you need puppy pads at a good cost, go to www.PupPads.com